• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I see that it appears a tirelessly discussed agonized subject to bring up for some people, but I only found such a thread on the Ostfront forums.

So now I move it up here, sorry if it bugs you.

Medics of the Russians weren't well known, and I'm not sure if this fits the bill, but I was reading a book describing the "Hitler Youth" and in one part, it said a German and his best friend from the Youth join the Wehrmacht and were sent to the Eastern front. There it discussed the terrible things they expierienced as medics and the numerous casualties they had to help back to service.

So I guess the German team, if these are implemented, would get moderately/poorly armed medical personnel and to balance, the German infantry might not be able to have anything to heal anything more than a papercut. The Germans medics might get morphine syringes+sulfa powder, supposedly to help dying comrades to a fair deal of life to be once again combat effective, though slowed down and having "shellshock" in general.

ARMA II's medical system is nice too ;)

Problem is, medics don't really have a place in this game.

A shot of morphine and a field dressing (which would be the only things you would have time to do in a 20 minute round of RO) does not "heal" people, it just dulls the pain and stops them from bleeding out. But if someone has been wounded bad enough to need a medic, they won't be fighting any time soon, it'll be weeks or months lying in a hospital bed before they can even think about that.

And besides that, RO does not model the entire battlefield, it only models the front line where the serious fighting goes on. And medics usually aren't front line infantry, in any organized battle (IE something like Stalingrad, and not some random encounter where a platoon gets jumped from out of nowhere), they are staying behind the frontlines where they can patch up the wounded that are brought back (and that usually doesen't happen till the combat area is secured), medics are no good to anyone if they have a bullet in their skull, and they aren't trained to be fighters, they belong at the rear of the battlezone or entirely outside of it.

Aslong as RO has any pretenses of realism left, medics just won't be a viable class for the game, the only way a medic class could be usefull is if they where given magical healing powers that can insta heal the dying in just a few seconds. And then we might aswell call the class "Jesus Christ" or "Necromancer" instead of "Medic", because that is basically what he would be, bullet, stab and shrapnel wounds do not just go away in a flash, and all a field medic can do is stabalize the patient, so that he may live long enough to make it to a field hospital.

Upvote 0
Medics of the Russians weren't well known, and I'm not sure if this fits the bill, but I was reading a book describing the "Hitler Youth" and in one part, it said a German and his best friend from the Youth join the Wehrmacht and were sent to the Eastern front. There it discussed the terrible things they expierienced as medics and the numerous casualties they had to help back to service.

Well the thing is both sides had medics, they just were pretty much armed combatants as the Geneve convention does not really state literally that medic must be unarmed or non-combatant, Soviet Union didn't really respect the basics and yadayadayada.

This also resulted situations in which on the western front where the western allies began to shoot german medics at will as the germans had lovely experiences from the eastern front and were usually accompanied with fair amount of firepower.

Upvote 0
first off why does everyone consider RO fast paced? and second I would really enjoy being a medic but would you really want to try to comfort your buddy as his legs just got blown off telling him "everything will be alright?

Because it is compared to some other shooters, and thats not a bad thing.

living while your leg shot off is stupid, and will be even more so if there is not 1st person body... I can see it now "you leg has been shot off" popup in the center of your screen.

I myself once thought a medic may be "cool", but after looking at it properly I found it to be very stupid.
An extra map on release day would be time better spent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
first off why does everyone consider RO fast paced?

Because it's combat focused, it's not like in the Arma series where you may have to travel many kilometers to get to the fight, you start right at the outskirts of the fight, and rounds usually have a 20 minute timer on them.

So yeah, it's fast paced for a realism game, which is basically what is ment, it's not fast paced in the more traditional FPS game sense though, if you compared it to Quake3 Arena or the UT games, then it's no where near as fast, obviously.

Upvote 0
Because it's combat focused, it's not like in the Arma series where you may have to travel many kilometers to get to the fight, you start right at the outskirts of the fight, and rounds usually have a 20 minute timer on them.

So yeah, it's fast paced for a realism game, which is basically what is ment, it's not fast paced in the more traditional FPS game sense though, if you compared it to Quake3 Arena or the UT games, then it's no where near as fast, obviously.
I'm hoping they make a PR style mod for RO2. That would be amazing.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping they make a PR style mod for RO2. That would be amazing.

I love a lot about what PR does, and if you're playing with friends I'm sure it's fantastic. But for general public play, it just doesn't work too well. You just end up with a few groups of pals in their own squads chatting away on voice com, ignoring anyone else on their team. And the rest running around like headless chickens.

PR just requires too much team play even for the most basic functions to rely upon in a public server. RO works better with team play than without. But it still works without a high degree of focused team play. PR doesn't.

Upvote 0