• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Media Update - M8 Smoke Grenade

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Hello everyone! One of the things the team is working on as the game continues through development is new and optimized particles and effects. Today I have an example of our recently updated M8 Smoke grenade in action. Designed to help soldiers conceal their positions and movements from others the M8 is a close-in hand grenade that has seen continued use for many decades.

As always, remember that what you are about to see is a Work In Progress:

[url]http://media.tripwirecdn.com/071916/m8smokegrenade.webm[/URL]

And, in terms of further information, some of you will know we had intended to roll some more news for GamesCom. While that plan has fallen through, we’re now set up to bring you some big news in the run-up to PAX West. Following on from that, we’ll be running a Streaming Panel at PAX to go into more detail with fans!

Yeah, that's because when the timer runs out it enables the FX object in the actor, in other words, no matter where it is, it'll start smoking once the time runs out.They could alleviate the problem with a touch event.
    I like the new suppression system, at least aesthetic wise, for low suppression, it looks better than what it was in RS/RO2.

Upvote 0
    Why is there no suppression effect while he's being shot at ? It only appears after he starts moving, but there are no shots to be seen(maybe the shots are still being fired, just not seen anymore ?).
    Would the tracer rounds really be so apparent ? The texture/object size or footprint seems a bit exaggerated...
    What weapon are those tracer rounds coming from ?

Thanks for the update. Keep it up with the frequent posting of these, please. :D

Upvote 0
    JanMz;n2264899 said:
    Why is there no suppression effect while he's being shot at ? It only appears after he starts moving, but there are no shots to be seen(maybe the shots are still being fired, just not seen anymore ?).
    Would the tracer rounds really be so apparent ? The texture/object size or footprint seems a bit exaggerated...
    What weapon are those tracer rounds coming from ?

Thanks for the update. Keep it up with the frequent posting of these, please. :D

It's likely the first shots from the incoming rounds were a little too high to activate the suppression. The tracers are exaggerated, but like everything else, are subject to change at any point in development.

The tracers are from an RPD.

Also, the smoke from the smoke grenades follow the direction of the wind and collide with walls/objects.

Upvote 0
    oscar.nein;n2264917 said:
    Also, the smoke from the smoke grenades follow the direction of the wind and collide with walls/objects.
    Very nice.

We don't get a good look at it in the video but what's the kind of visibility we can expect while actually inside the smoke? Based on what you can see from the other soldiers going into the smoke they become completely obscured very quickly(a good thing), in RO2 it sometimes seemed pretty inconsistent on what someone could see or couldn't see while both inside smoke and right outside of it. I assume the improved particles and effects will help alleviate that?

Upvote 0
    The smoke looks good, a big improvement over RS/RO2.

The insta load of the second smoke grenade is disconcerting, I assume it's part of the WIP deal. I'd like to see a smidge more time between throwing the smoke and bringing the weapon up as well, even if it's on a sling, it seems fast imo.

Upvote 0
    GuardForce;n2264915 said:
    About the white distance fog, i know he is there about performance. But more of a natural look would be good or a distance slider in the options.

http://imgur.com/a/bVXiU
    It's both performance, environmental aesthetics and game-play. So a distance slider option in the menu wouldn't exactly work out.

Reactions: NorthDumpling
    Upvote 0
    oscar.nein;n2264917 said:
    Hell ****ing yeah! Thats really impressive! You guys should do some devblogs :p

Jagdwyre;n2264928 said:
    We don't get a good look at it in the video but what's the kind of visibility we can expect while actually inside the smoke?
    I know exactly what you mean. This is a huge problem with most games which are using smoke. In CS they work around the problem by fading in a grey layer on top of the screen when you're in a smoke. Problem is that the viewmodel weapon fades too and sometimes the layer fades in to early but it's quite good most of the time. When the new smoke system doesn't change the issue it might be a cheap solution for RS2 and some details could be fixed compared to CS like using depth-maps for the viewmodels for example.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0