• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Max Players exceeded?

I have my server running fine and playable with both Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm without any ingame issues. Well except for a few little ones like hit box detection issues.

However I started seeing the server go down regularly and though that it was crashing, I was wrong though as it was not crashing. It was TCADMIN stopping the server because the MaxPlayer Slots were being exceeded. I had a 24 Slot server and it had been running fine prior to the last Update. Anyway I thought that the problem was because I had a 24 Slot server and noticed in the WebAdmin that it seemed that there were only 3 standard configurations for this game. They were 16, 32 and 64 Slots, so I contacted my Hosting company and had them add another 8 Slots to the server making it a 32 Slot server. I thought that this would solve the problem, but yet again I was wrong. :confused:

I have checked most of the .ini files and have ensured that everything was set to 32 Slots. Same with the WebAdmin, but the problem is still there. For some reason the game is allowing players to join even after the MaxPlayers limit has been exceeded?

Is there something that I have missed?

Spectators might be the problem. If you have a 32 man server with 2 spectators allowed, it will report 34/32 players.

See if you can get your GSP to remove the maxplayer limit in TCAdmin. If nothing else, get them to allow a couple more to account for spectators.

I know in the past, for some reason the game would increase the reported player count. Sometimes we'd have 72/64 being reported. I think that issue has been addressed, though. Somebody else may know otherwise.

Upvote 0
:)

We had this problem for awhile on our 64 slot servers. There is some additional info here somewhere on the phenomenon. If your .ini files are set up right the game will never permit in excess of your MaxPlayers setting. But there seem to be conditions where the server management software can get fooled into believing the player count is exceeding max. The solution in our case was to set a ten player buffer in the CMD file for 74 players. This seems to get overridden by the 64 MaxPlayer setting in ROGame.ini, but it prevents the server from going comatose from a false positive.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your assistance with this issue. :)

I agree with what you have all so very kindly have had to say and can confirm that it is TCADMIN that is stopping the server. Thank You MORD for your advice and I have also asked my hosts to do the same. However it seems by time I get the Email - "Bam" it is stopped because a few more players have joined.

The slots for server 119.252.191.102:7777 has been increased to 34. The
maximum allowed slots is 33. Please investigate.

Best regards,

[email protected]

My hosting company have very kindly added an extra slot to the server to try and assist with this issue. :) However what I cannot figure out is why the game itself is not stopping the extra players from joining? I run many servers of several game types and they all stop any extra players from joining and also give them a message as to why they are stopped. ;)

So I feel that Tripwire will need to look into this issue. I have checked all the .ini files and made sure that they are all configured correctly. Eg:

[Engine.GameInfo]
DefaultGame=ROGame.ROGameInfo
DefaultServerGame=ROGame.ROGameInfo
MaxPlayers=32

I have just rechecked all the .ini files again to ensure that they are all configured correctly and they are. There must be some way that the game itself can stop this occurring though. If DOD:S, TF2 and Dino D-Day can do this, well I should imagine that RO2/RS could do the same. Perhaps I can ask for a Mutator to be written that will solve this issue as I am getting rather tired of having to "Start" my server several times a day. :(

Thank You all for your reply's and advice. :)

Upvote 0
This is really getting a bit tiresome. I have to sit outside my own server to stop it being shutdown. I have an extra Slot put there by my Hosts, but everyone still keeps joining and getting on even though it quite clearly says 32/32 ? :(

I certainly hope that this can be fixed so that server owners can actually get in and have a game. ;)

I have been keeping an eye on the chat and keep reading of some other issues that the players go on about also. I suppose that there is a lot more work to do yet.

Upvote 0
It would also happen if people were downloading maps. They would be counted as being connected to the server but because they were not in game they were not part of the server limit.

Had this a few times when I used a GSP. Tell your GSP to remove shutdown command and replace it with an email that alerts THEM to the infringement. They can then check up and see it is just a stuff up.

Or rent a dedicated server and you never need to worry about game server providers ever again. meow.

Upvote 0
This is really getting a bit tiresome. I have to sit outside my own server to stop it being shutdown. I have an extra Slot put there by my Hosts, but everyone still keeps joining and getting on even though it quite clearly says 32/32 ? :(

I certainly hope that this can be fixed so that server owners can actually get in and have a game. ;)

I have been keeping an eye on the chat and keep reading of some other issues that the players go on about also. I suppose that there is a lot more work to do yet.
Try setting MaxPlayers=28 see if that works, if nothing else it may stop the annoying automatic shutdown until a solution is found.
Do you have bots on the server?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was going to suggest something similar. Set your MaxPlayers=28 and MaxSpectators=4 - this will give you your 32 players - these are both in the rogame.ini

Or you can stick with your original Maxplayers as 24 as you wanted originally and this will then give you 8 players you can exceed to reach the server 32 they cut you off at.

I think the game server start command on all servers still has it set to whatever you are allotted? So you should still be able to have up to 32 that you've paid for.

Just a suggestion don't know if it will work for you but much better than always getting shut down.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies.

I will try this now: ?MinPlayers=22?MaxPlayers=28

Major_Day, yes I do have Bots and have never had any issues with them? I have always set it for ?MinPlayers=22 so if someone joins by themselves for a game at least they won't be bored. ;)

What gets me though is that I have a few other games servers as well and some of them also have bots, yet this issue does not occur with these games. I have a 32 slot TF2 Modded server that is set for Haloween play and with that I can have 32 players on it with a few of the Halloween Bosses, yet if someone else tries to join when the slots a full. They get a message saying they cannot join because the server is full. :)

So I was wondering why this function/restriction does not exist for RO2/Rising Storm? Maybe I should not have put RO2 is there either, because I have never had this problem before with just running RO2? I have had plenty of time when the server has been full with now excess players?

Anyway I will give this a try and see how I go with it. So Thanks again for the feedback and advice.

Upvote 0