• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Max Payne 3 being done by Rockstar :)

my comment on youtube vid after I saw it:

"the music doesnt fit. It makes me think of Noir York. In Some scenes I was expecting Kane and Lynch coming around the corner."

Now I haven't seen the trailer, so I can't jusge if the music fits it, but I loved the first two games and they were the definition of cheesy Noir York in computergames...

And I remain sceptical about it, rockstar or not.

Upvote 0
I'm a Max Payne fan and I am very skeptical about this direction. It is true this is starting to look like an overstylised Kane & Lynch (another franchise I love, despite how it abuses me every second I play it).

What really makes Max Payne is the character. He just goes on and on with his dark broody monologues and the universe is full of subtle and not so subtle pop culture references and self-references. The games take themselves so seriously and it is all really over the top without being nutty. It is like a satire that forgot what it is. The games take the noir theme further than any 80's or 90's renegade cop film ever did. It is a wonderful gaming experience.

This new direction however is not convincing me that Rockstar understands the character. While he is an excellent marksman and physically capable man, his gunfighting proficieny was never the theme of either game, so I don't feel that going into private security contracting is the obvious career change for him. I don't feel that the "I do this because I am good at it" suits Max Payne, but maybe Rockstar has some clever idea how to get Max into this situation without making it too simple a transition.

I am not convinced you can make Sao Paolo the setting for a noir story though, it is much too organic and energetic a place. The Max Payne universe is about organised crime, corruption and secret societies with splashes of the occult for flavour. I'm sure Sao Paolo has that too but of a very different kind.

Reactions: Jaesperson
Upvote 0
I too felt the trailer wasnt massivly impressive and felt rushed!

I dont think Ive seen a game where you can preordert so soon? Also I think they have loads of time to get things right but it will never feel like the old ones (esp 1 which was ground breaking and I totally hated 2)

Its using an engine we are all used to so I dont think people will be blown away. It will be enjoyable none-the-less.

Upvote 0
I am not convinced you can make Sao Paolo the setting for a noir story though, it is much too organic and energetic a place. The Max Payne universe is about organised crime, corruption and secret societies with splashes of the occult for flavour. I'm sure Sao Paolo has that too but of a very different kind.
S

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excellent observations, Nezzer! Excellent post.

The major theme of the Max Payne universe is how much Max's life sucks. Life shovels crap in his face all the time. Women he cares about are killed in really ugly ways. He is always on the brink of having no reason to live, but a woman gives him meaning not to kill himself, only to have things go wrong and the woman dies. The teaser hints at a similar theme but I think they got it all wrong. His relationship to this woman seems to be strictly professional protection, it is nothing like the previous events he is hinting at.

Max Payne is a mix of crime thriller stereotypes and clich

Upvote 0
is it me or did it make you guys think more of a gta, than max payne :\

Sure it had the music of max payne, and a character voice that seems pretty close. But the images on screen made me think more of some sort of GTA. The music didn't really feel like they fit the scenes either, while the music essentially gives the perfect mood of the old max payne games.

This is what I think of with max payne:
Max Payne part 1 - YouTube
or
Max Payne 2 Trailer - YouTube

see the different moods the video display.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sufyan
Upvote 0
Was at a 20min live presentation today and what can I say: It looks, sounds and feels like a real Max Payne.
To be honest I'm actually really hyped about it even. The graphics are amazing(it ran on 360 and was shown on a huge screen and because of that had many jaggies, but even with those it looked stunning). Shooting has a heavy kick to it unlike other 3rd person shooters(like Uncharted, where weapons feel really weak). The atmosphere is still very gritty(I saw a new york level and a later one in sao paolo) and everything feels very brutal. The animations of Max are by far the best I've seen in a 3rd person game, it's like every muscle is simulated during movement. Players aren't just gliding on the floor but actually really putting one foot in front of another. It just all feels and looks very realistic. Also they still have those kinda motion comics inbetween missions/scenes, but this time not in comic graphic but in ingame graphic. But it's still the same "style" as in screen being cut into parts etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0