• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mat-49 French

Ridinidenidaud

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 14, 2018
I feel that the french version of the mat-49 is essentially useless. All of the other weapon variants have situational or preferential differences that make them each usefull in their own way. But the French mat-49 is just a little worse than the viet-modified with no distinct difference to make it preferable, at least from what I've seen, and discussed with team-mates. So I've been thinking of ideas for spicing it up and I think I've got a couple decent ones.

Idea 1: Add a Stock

I know this is a bit of a stretch because the mat-49 with a stock was a police variant, but I think its also fairly plausible seeing as vietnam was controlled by the french prior to the war, and they likely had some being used by the police forces the created. Which indicates to me that the civilian rebels would have access to them. But enough of the history involved. Adding a fixed stock and reducing recoil would differnciate it enough to be preferable to some players.

Idea 2: Add a Strap

​​​​​​I know this is an even bigger stretch, but hear me out. What if you added a weapon strap that allowed players to fire the gun from the hip while sprinting. I dont know because its not in the game, but I feel like that would be a decent trade off for the damage, accuracy, and fire rate, of the viet-modified version. Allowing players to have partial self-defense when rushing objectives, and giving an edge in combat by being able to supress an enemy faster while transitioning from sprinting, to standing and firing.

Final Thoughts:

I'm not sure if my ideas would be balanced or not, I dont really know what goes into balancing the weapons in this game. All I know is the mat-49 french original is seemingly useless, and the main point of this post is to draw attention to that.

Arisaka99;n2329551 said:
I personally prefer the French version due to the lower rate of fire and better controlability. The strap is an immediate no from me, but a recoil buff would not be too far out there.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I kinda figured the strap thing was too far out there. I can sorta see your point with the controllability with lower fire rate, hell you probably have to reload slightly less cause of it. Never really thought about it that way. But personally for me it's the higher accuracy that makes me prefer the Viet modified, and I've gotten pretty good at recoil control with it too. But again, thanks for the feedback, glad to know there's someone out there who finds the French original useful.

Upvote 0