• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

March Bug Fix Updated Live

Kittenmittens

Tripwire Interactive Community Team
Staff member
March 2023 Quality of Life and Bug Fix Changelog

Bug Fixes
Also mentioned in the 2022 Killing Floor 2 ‘State of the Game’ As with every update, we’ll be addressing a multitude of issues legacy and new that arise over the year.. Please continue to report any bugs you discover by visiting our official forums at: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forum/killing-floor-2 and posting in the ‘PC’ or ‘Console’ sections.

Crash Map improvements
  • Fixed a collision spot in the SW Street Area that would cause Zeds to walk in air.
  • Fixed a doorway where players could obstruct Zeds from entering an area with dynamic elements.
  • Fixed part of geometry that was missing in the SW Street area
  • Fixed issue in which fire FX disappears when the player approaches

Community Fixes
  • Reduced FPS drops associated with Field Medic buffs after the player has been in a long-term session on the same server.
  • Having too many weapons marked as a Favorite in the trader could result in crashes. We have now limited this to 12 weapons.
  • Coliseum Weekly : Blood Sickle: Fixed issue in which this weapon was not displayed in Trader Pod
  • Blood Sickle: Fixed issue where the first of the two heavy attack hits deals zero damage
  • Fixed issue in which HRG Locust can cause self damage if player doesn't continue to hold the weapon after firing it
  • G36C Assault Rifle: Fixed weapon jiggling after the shot in iron sights by auto fire mode

Weapon fixes
  • ZED MKIII: 3P: Fixed Player twitches when turning left while crouching
  • ZED MKIII: 3P: Fixed Player twitches when turning left while standing
  • ZED MKIII: Fixed when fingers of the left hand appear for a second on the other side of the weapon at the end of the 1P clip check animation
  • HV Storm Cannon: 3P: Fixed when Left hand fingers were clipping to weapon while crouching
  • G36C Assault Rifle: 3P: Fixed issue with the Silencer and Tac Laser have one-sided texture on drop model
  • HRG Ballistic Bouncer: Gravity Imploder: Blunderbuss: Fixed issue with these weapons were showing in pistol type tab in trader pod

Individual fixes
  • Addressed issue in which Gunslinger: Quick Draw skill was increasing switching speed to all perks weapons
  • Fixed issue in which outfits' helmets and suits aren't sorting by sorting rules
  • Perk Roulette: Online: UI: Fixed syringe indicator not filling in after respawning

Balance Tunes
  • Increased HRG Ballistic Bouncer max damage damage to 300 from 200

Addressed issue in which Gunslinger: Quick Draw skill was increasing switching speed to all perks weapons
This is much more global change, all bonuses of all perks that modify weapon switch speed are now restricted to these perk's on-perk weapons - Commando, Gunslinger, SWAT and Sharpshooter and do not work with off-perk weapons.

And this change completely broke Survivalist's switch speed bonus (35% less time) which now does not work at all, except very few of its native guns such as Arc Generator and Freezethrower (ones that have AssociatedPerkClasses(0)=class'KFPerk_Survivalist' in properties).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is much more global change, all bonuses of all perks that modify weapon switch speed are now restricted to these perk's on-perk weapons - Commando, Gunslinger and Sharpshooter and do not work with off-perk weapons.

And this change completed broke Survivalist's switch speed bonus (35% less time) which now does not work at all, except very few of its native guns such as Arc Generator and Freezethrower (ones that have AssociatedPerkClasses(0)=class'KFPerk_Survivalist' in properties).

Have tossed this over for investigation. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Also, after updating my servers (multiple independent servers), they started crashing the KF2 games of players upon joining the lobby. The servers themselves run fine. So far I've narrowed it down to something in either *engine.ini and *kfgame.ini files on the KF2 servers, which I haven't changed for a while. If I delete these to allow the game to recreate them from the default ones, it works just fine.

I bet this happens to more than one server owner, as I haven't really done anything fancy with the config files, outside of regular motd, serverbanner, server name and mapcycles modifications.

It's something in the *kfgame.ini file. *kfengine.ini is fine.

The clients crash with this bugsplat:

Assertion failed: i>=0 && i<this->ArrayNum [File:d:\kf2\depot_kf2\kf2_staging\development\src\core\inc\Array.h] [Line: 2076]

Stack: Address = 0xeae4be09 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebb53780 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebb7d6d8 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xeb312868 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xeb85f0e1 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebabe00c (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebab8660 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebab86aa (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebac01b0 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xec1210bf (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xd4517614 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\System32\KERNEL32.DLL]
Address = 0xd5e826a1 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll]

Address = 0xd360cd29 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll]
Address = 0xeae88dc5 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xeae3d805 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xeae4be7c (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebb53780 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebb7d6d8 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xeb312868 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xeb85f0e1 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebabe00c (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebab8660 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebab86aa (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xebac01b0 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xec1210bf (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]

PS Okay, I've narrowed it down to the BannerLink parameter in the kfgame.ini KF2 server file. BannerLink points to a web server that hosts a MOTD picture. This picture gets downloaded by the KFHTTPImageDownloader class, which uses the native DownloadImageFromURL the code of which isn't shared with the SDK.

My guess is you changed something so it now crashes KF2 clients when they join a server which hosts a banner image that doesn't fit for whatever reason. I suspect it's the case, because there were issues recently with console players crashing with other players avatar pics. This function is also used to download them. Molly and Yoshiro, did you touch this function?

Can you develop a graceful handling of it instead so the clients don't crash if they can't download it?

Can you be more transparent about the new requirements for MOTD banners so we don't have to guess which work?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruuvi
Upvote 0
medic buff issues gone but endless still unplayable in community servers
game still losing fps overwaves It's straight up lag caused by a compilation of zeds.

the higher the wave the lower fps drop per zed count increase. when i joined to the game i had have about 230 fps after 10 wave my fps droped to 110 and after 29 wave fps down to 50 and even more worse to 30 fps ..

framerate will restore if you rejoin to the servers map etc that's really annoying

Upvote 0
Also, after updating my servers (multiple independent servers), they started crashing the KF2 games of players upon joining the lobby. The servers themselves run fine. So far I've narrowed it down to something in either *engine.ini and *kfgame.ini files on the KF2 servers, which I haven't changed for a while. If I delete these to allow the game to recreate them from the default ones, it works just fine.

I bet this happens to more than one server owner, as I haven't really done anything fancy with the config files, outside of regular motd, serverbanner, server name and mapcycles modifications.

It's something in the *kfgame.ini file. *kfengine.ini is fine.

The clients crash with this bugsplat:

Assertion failed: i>=0 && i<this->ArrayNum [File:d:\kf2\depot_kf2\kf2_staging\development\src\core\inc\Array.h] [Line: 2076]

Stack: Address = 0xeae4be09 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]

Address = 0xd360cd29 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll]
Address = 0xeae88dc5 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xeae3d805 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]
Address = 0xeae4be7c (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64\KFGame.exe]

PS Okay, I've narrowed it down to the BannerLink parameter in the kfgame.ini KF2 server file. BannerLink points to a web server that hosts a MOTD picture. This picture gets downloaded by the KFHTTPImageDownloader class, which uses the native DownloadImageFromURL the code of which isn't shared with the SDK.

My guess is you changed something so it now crashes KF2 clients when they join a server which hosts a banner image that doesn't fit for whatever reason. I suspect it's the case, because there were issues recently with console players crashing with other players avatar pics. This function is also used to download them. Molly and Yoshiro, did you touch this function?

Can you develop a graceful handling of it instead so the clients don't crash if they can't download it?

Can you be more transparent about the new requirements for MOTD banners so we don't have to guess which work?

Yep, any custom BannerLink png image link => All clients BugSplat
But, after resize to force 512x256 no BugSplats more..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, any custom BannerLink png image link => All clients BugSplat
But, after resize to force 512x256 no BugSplats more..
Nice, thanks for confirmation. I've confirmed this already with multiple server hosters, it's everyone's problem. I've spot checked some random servers yesterday and my impression is yesterday about 1/10 to 1/5 of all KF2 servers in the world were crashing their players because of this.

TWI, Molly and Yoshiro, this level of QA before releasing to production is just unacceptable. You've ruined a significant share of KF2 servers, leaving hundreds of players crashing without any clue about what's going on, except guessing that it may be related to the recent update.

It's another wake up call, this game is severely neglected. Please raise this internally, it doesn't make sense that one of your main cash cows is so severely neglected, you keep breaking the game with almost every update by now. The quality is extremely low, so no wonder that all your competitors in this genre, most notably L4D2 and DRG, grow in player base while your game stagnates at best!

PS It doesn't have to be 512x256, rather 512 is the ceiling for both horizontal and vertical. Set it to 513 either way and your players will crash reliably upon joining the lobby.

Last edited:
Upvote 0