• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

EvilAmericanMan

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005
Palm Coast, FL
OK I am wondering if it is just my luck or if the RO community's tastes are really getting worse. But every time I load up the game I see either a custom map, Danzig, Koenigsplatz, or Arad. That's ALL I EVER see on servers that I get a good ping to. Is anyone else getting sick of the same maps over and over and over.....? Is anyone else noticing this?

To be honest, there's only a handfull of stock maps I like and they are mainly infantry (Konigsplatz, Kaukasus, Stalingradkessel, Basovka etc.) but most of my favourite maps come from the community.

I just wish some of the lesser known maps from the map packs were played more often, I've only played about half of the maps from the MCP2.

Upvote 0
OK I am wondering if it is just my luck or if the RO community's tastes are really getting worse. But every time I load up the game I see either a custom map, Danzig, Koenigsplatz, or Arad. That's ALL I EVER see on servers that I get a good ping to. Is anyone else getting sick of the same maps over and over and over.....? Is anyone else noticing this?

TBH if you usually go to the same servers at the same time everyday you will play more or less the same maps.
I remember when the TWB server (32 slots) was playing Berenzina every Sunday morning :D

Upvote 0
You get tired of custom maps? But they're all so different from the stock maps and sometimes even have custom content! And not to mention there's an entire MAP PACK of them as well as other ones.
That's true, the main thing is that I hate waiting for the maps to download. The maps probably aren't bad but I'm just impatient. I guess i should try some of them. I mean, if I want a break from Arad and Danzig I guess I have to, no?

Upvote 0
"Its getting old real fast."

Playing the stock maps we've had since the start gets real old faster imo since we've had them so bloody long and generally the stock maps are a bit smaller and less complex then the better custom maps and especially against veterans its all very deja vu with the stock maps.
Dont get me wrong i still like the stock maps but i think many of the stock maps have been put to shame by many of the custom maps

Upvote 0
That's true, the main thing is that I hate waiting for the maps to download. The maps probably aren't bad but I'm just impatient. I guess i should try some of them. I mean, if I want a break from Arad and Danzig I guess I have to, no?

If it takes to long to download you are probely on a bad server that maybe doesnt have HTTP redirect or a slow HTTP redirect, of you Connection aint that good but for most maps on TWB server I get them in less then 30 seconds

Upvote 0
There are times when i agree when you wonder about the taste of some Ro players.
Say I join a tank server specifically for ogledow for example, but match is coming to an end, shame. Still, never mind the map vote comes up, and there's decent enough stock choices like barashka and bonderevo, or customs like Muddy tigers, valley, BDJ etc - However I get disappointed because most people, with a lack of imagination, are voting arad or one of it's variants.
I dont dislike arad particularly, and i'm not saying barashka etc are better or worse, but I usually vote the the highest map that isn't arad cos a bit of variety is nice.
Still thats democracy i guess.

Upvote 0
There are times when i agree when you wonder about the taste of some Ro players.
Say I join a tank server specifically for ogledow for example, but match is coming to an end, shame. Still, never mind the map vote comes up, and there's decent enough stock choices like barashka and bonderevo, or customs like Muddy tigers, valley, BDJ etc - However I get disappointed because most people, with a lack of imagination, are voting arad or one of it's variants.
I dont dislike arad particularly, and i'm not saying barashka etc are better or worse, but I usually vote the the highest map that isn't arad cos a bit of variety is nice.
Still thats democracy i guess.
Ah, the great flaw with democracy: it assumes that the majority is composed of something else than idiots.

Upvote 0
I noticed one thing:

new game have many good custom maps , and they are all played
more players became pro / game getting older => much less maps sed in game. I remember times, when i could play at least 20 maps, by joining different servers. Now, its harder. What will be in 1 year, there will be only Danzig 24/7 servers, like CTF-FACE- only in Unreal, DE-Dust2 in CS, DOTA in WC3.... :( :( :(

Upvote 0
this discussion is really old (I remember myself among others bringing it up several times during the mod days).

To cut to the cheese: (all of this is my very personal opinions)

Best option is to have no map vote at all.
If you still have map vote the server should be set that atleast half of the servers rotation needs to be played before the same map can be played again (without admin force).
This means if you have 13 maps in the rotation make it so you need to play atleast 6-7 maps before the same map can be voted again. If you have 20 maps make it so 10 maps need to be played again.

But if i could decide I would take away the map vote function all togheter from RO I would also try to hardcode into RO so you couldn't make mutators for map vote.

I have seen the following behaviour so many times in ostfront:
Odessa->Danzig->Kaukasus->Danzig->Basovka->Odessa->Kaukasus etc.

In the mod it was:
Berlin->Koitos->Jucha->Koitos->Berlin->Jucha->Koitos->Koitos->Koitos

This is not a RO specific problem but a problem with all online FPS plays. I think it sucks and really makes a game washed out.

Also some maps that alot of people don't like from the beginning have sometimes raised into popularity as the got "some" playtime because people just tended to vote for what was familliar. The bottom line is people ar LAZY they don't want to LEARN SOMETHING NEW. It's just easier to play the same **** over and over again even if you know exactly where everyone is all the time.

Map voting sucks and should be taken away.

Upvote 0
The bottom line is people ar LAZY they don't want to LEARN SOMETHING NEW. It's just easier to play the same **** over and over again even if you know exactly where everyone is all the time.
Yup. I mean a great map can be played many many many times but at a certain point (say the 900th time on StalingradKessell) you'd think people would get the idea "hey maybe let's try a new map for once", but no. That's one of the main reasons I don't play hardly any infantry anymore because people are just fixated on certain maps.

Upvote 0
I just join a server without mapvote, it just cycles through stock and custom maps.
Some custom maps are bad, especially if they are still being improved but hey, war isn't fair either most of the time =)

the damned priests have a good server which offers all stock maps and a whole lot of custom maps. I do think they've let out some custom maps recently though.

Don't let the masses take over. Democracy is great, but so is freedom. You are free to host a server and make your own rules or join one with the rules you like.

Upvote 0