• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Maps won't redirect properly

xrider84

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2015
I know this is a old subject, but I really need help. I have read every possible forum I can find and I cannot get it to work right.

First off, I am renting a server from "GameServers." I have the redirect server as well. I followed their tutorial to add custom maps to my server rotation, and they just will not work. I get the "Cannot download" message everytime.

I feel like their support team is not helping whatsoever. It takes them almost a full day to respond each time, and they just tell me they changed a command line (where???) and that it should work now.

I've ensured that that the map names match properly with the files in the ini. I'm really at a loss on what to do.

Here are some screenshots next to each other of just one of the maps, for you all to compare and see if I'm missing something.

The top right screen is a shot of my "GameServers" PCServer-KFGame.ini.
The screenshot on the right is of my FileZilla showing the same map.
The last one shows the message I am getting in game.

Any help would really be appreciated.

So for a map file KF-MyMap.kfm you just need to add these lines in config, nothing more, and it will work:

[KF-MyMap KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-MyMap

If the ini config (as well as the map name in map cycle) matches perfectly the custom map file name, and the redirect server URL is properly configured and working, then it works. if it does not, that means the redirect server does not send the files. To test it it is simple: take your redirect URL, and add the file name and try to download it in your web browser, in theory you should be able to download (maybe you need to connect to your game server to 'white list' your IP to download this is possible they have this verification to avoid abusing their redirect servers)

KF-MyMap.kfm

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://redirecturl.com/

edit: anyway, this is with them you need to fix the issue you can't have things to work if they do not (redirect server) so you have no choice, you need to fix the problem with them and ensure everything is working on their side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was able to kind of get it working yesterday. One of their support techs had typed in their website's redirect url wrong in the engine.ini. They left out the http.

Anyway, I am getting some maps to download online, but many are not. They are all from third party websites that I have downloaded, so I don't know what the issue is. At least half of them are working.
I have no idea how to have maps redirect from the Workshop through a rented server.

I don't suppose anyone could tell me how to change the default map. It's set to Biotics Lab lol.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, but really not the kind of response I'm looking for. Please don't send the typical "go read the wiki" response.
I already said that I read every possible forum I could find, and tutorial.

I do have access to the command lines. I can change things and I already have. They messed up on something when they tried to find the problem for me. I had a ton of trouble because I followed everything IN THE WIKI perfectly, and could not get it to work because one of their techs messed up. I fixed it.

The problem I have with redirecting maps directly from the workshop is that (since it is a GameServer rented server) it appears I have to have their redirect url. I can't find any info online to get it to work from the workshop. On a dedicated server....yes. On a rented one....no.
I just pulled the subscribed maps out of the cache and made folders for them manually. A bit more work; and takes longer to load, but oh well.

Upvote 0