• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Maps makes my server feel bad

Can someone give me the details on how to replicate the crash? Is it just after a map vote? Do i need players on the server, if so how many, which round can it be, after patty dead, specific difficulties, etc?

If i'm releasing a complete map pack with every "final" whitelisted map i'd rather not have maps in there which are going to crash peoples servers (no offence Murphy and others who are creating brilliant maps with minor problems). And it's not like I don't believe the original poster, but I would personally like to test out all the maps before confirming them for my map pack. If I had a simple and quick procedure to follow to test with I can get it done in an hour or so, if not it will take me weeks, so the more details the better please!

FYI - i'll be running it on a windows based kf server on my personal computer and probably connecting via lan, though I have friends who could test it via the net if needed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I usually trigger the crash merely by connecting to the server alone, killing a few zeds (to verify via headshots count if the server is connected to the master servers, etc.) and then leaving (or voting for next map, or even waiting for autovote, it doesn't seem to matter). It happens during the loading of the next map at the very begining during garbage collection BUT it doesn't happen every time, usually 9 out of 10, and I even had a whole game on one of the crashing maps.

Furthermore, I tried these maps 3 times each on two file-cache-verified debian 5 servers (linux) with mostly-vanilla killingfloor.ini, not in the same country (i can't find how to change your content server with the linux steam client, if somebody can help me with that i could at least try different content servers) one with custom maps, the other with original maps only (this one was pretty much built just to test those maps so it was as vanilla as can be), and they crashed them both minimum 2 times out of the 3 tries.

I haven't tried on another distribution, tweaked the kernel and all this hoodoo stuff but i would have if some windows servers were not having the same problem (while others reported their server not crashing with those maps) and when i hosted a dedicated server on my gaming rig, tried a few and, of course, none crashed.

But i still think that hose maps are worthy of inclusion, maybe with a warning that they might crash your server and should be tested :)

Upvote 0