• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mapping Contest Phase I Results

I think I know what the map you are thinking about is. That map though is not Kurland. If I can remember the name of the map that you mentioned I'll post it.

Edit: The map you were thinking about is called: RO-WinterManor1941

oh yes.

Is this kurland related in anyway to snowyforest? I know snowyforest is good but not better than Berezina.

___

I'm suprized I placed at all.

Submitting BDJ was almost an afterthought and looking back at the prefinal version, it is definitely lackluster to stay the least. I've learned a lot about how much you can hate something when you do it a lot (BDJ) and I know any future levels will be made it a way I can spend less time undoing and redoing work and more time content creation.

lesson here: Don't finalized ANYTHING until you are 95% sure that you are going in the right direction, otherwise you are going to be redoing things a lot because you make it impossible to take apart and adjust.

I never thought BDJ would be anything it is today. BDJ was my attempt as Orel like unrestricted maneuvering and arad style in your face action tank level with historical accuracy. I don't know if I achieved those goals. I know know I went about it wrong and if i could go back I could make a better level. But for what the original goals of the level were and what it is now I think I've exceeded all and any expectations.

There are so many people to thank.
  • Wilsonam, who's ancient kursk website provided the original research and topographical information which the level was based on.
  • Witzig and www.jakdo.de/ for playtesting one of the very early versions.
  • FKMOD who despite all the ****ty versions consistently ran my map on their server. Too bad I always get 300ms ping on there.
  • Mike_Nomad and RGN Anti-citizen number one for always busting my balls and ruining **** in my thread and calling me on the lies "the flicker is fixed! honest!" and helping me playtest the latter versions.
  • Mofo and iron cresendo for TRYING many times to setup playtests... we'll get a game going one of these days, honest!
  • Of course all the tank players, without you, we'd have to rely on bots, and they are just useless.
  • Most of all my special someone, for not getting a restraining order when I showed you the secret easter egg.
I'd also like to give a deep and heartfelt:

F YOU
To all the SS clans: every single one of you, numbers 1.SS to 99.SS.
I can say with all honesty 90% of the balancing issues were because of these human ****ups screaming and kicking and bitting and ****ting all over everything until I change things until there is absolutely no possible way for the allies to even get out of their spawn. German realism clans: A-ok. Nazi realism clans: not so much.

It's very difficult to have an accurate feedback when every other PM or post is "MORE TIGERS" or "YOU HATE GERMANY, WHY DO YOU HATE GERMANY"

I know there are actually a few SS clan guys who are alright but I'm not sorry for lumping you in . It's not like you can't pick who your friends are. Seriously; I don't hate Germany. Drop it guys.
Thank you all.

PS: (thanks for the PMs guys, I am half joking in the orange part.... half joking)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you to the TW staff for their support along the way and for the selection of 'Berezina'. I also would like to thank the community for all of their input along the way. I certainly appreciate the recognition.

I think 'Berezina' is a different kind of map in the RO universe and I am certainly biased. However, I do think I got docked for a few things: 1) lackluster AI; 2) That awful lighting/brush error in b4; and 3) the lack of finishing the full BT7 tank model. I prefer to think that had those three things been 'finished', 'Berezina' would have done better.

I am very thankful though to be considered and rewarded for the work. It's been a true challenge to learn the tools and methods for mapping in the UT/RO engine but I feel a lot better as a mapper and player for it all.

Onward to phase 2. I would also comment to the same fact as my fellow mappers have earlier, it seems a bit unfair to push the date back when we have been focused so long on making the 15th with the best product we can. I certainly feel an extra weight around my neck. I have a perfectly stable and solid beta1 of a new map ready to roll out on the 15th with some bonus material but holding it for six weeks? Eh...not so much. Time to revise the project plan.

Thanks again, to all those who played, commented, and helped along the way.

Upvote 0
Berezina should have won IMHO.

Why, you ask?
  • The best combined arms action around. Tanks need infantry to cap and infantry need tanks to survive.
  • Actual moving front lines, with a real sense of advancement and defense.
  • Actual flanking and maneuvering possibilities.
  • Realistic look and feel.
  • Good balance of roles and vehicle types.

Lime'd

I was expecting Berezina too.

I'm suprized (and abit flattered) to even have placed with the version that I submitted.

I was nearly sure that the final BDJ out now would have placed except the deadline has made to be obsolete by then. yesterday I was already playing on some custom maps that started to use features that were unqiue to BDJ (custom skins, custom classes, ambient effects I used) stuff that isn't original in the sense UT mappers have been doing it for ages but its very new to the RO scene.

bet all by chips already and now they ante is going up. :(

Upvote 0
hi, I was surprised to see the result of the contest.:eek:
Thank you TripWire.:)
I believe that it was an unbiased examination though I do not know what
examination was done.
My map was not completed only by my power.
Kurland might not have been completed if there was no advice of everyone.

Thank you everyone.:)

For me, Berezina and BDJ are favorite maps.
Both are wonderful maps,Both are worth 1st place, too.

Upvote 0
Kurland?

Kurland is an awful level?

:confused:

Congrats to slyk.

And I guess I'm thinking of the wrong level.

edit: Pushing the date back too? Thats lame. Not much of a race if you keep pushing the finish line. :p

edit2: I am seriously confused on which map kurland is. I thought it was that god awful winter map with the trees and that crashed plane.

I think I know what the map you are thinking about is. That map though is not Kurland. If I can remember the name of the map that you mentioned I'll post it.

Edit: The map you were thinking about is called: RO-WinterManor1941

I won without submitting anything? :p

Congrats to all the winners.

Upvote 0
Congrats to the winners and thanks to everyone who made maps for us !!

There's a rumour out that phase II will have a 4th prize consisting of a rig built with Tochiri's old video card, Slyk's old soundcard and Moz's old keyboard and mouse. Supposedly ToiletDuckie's Bonderrrrrevo is slotted to win this.

Good luck to everyone in Phase 2!

Upvote 0
Well done Tochiri, Slyk and Moz.

Tough luck to the other people who put in strong contenders - if you know your map is good and there are players out there who like them you shouldn't be too discouraged by the contest. In my HO the difference in terms of quality between the top, say, 6 or 7 maps was really quite small.

*sigh - must learn to bot-path, repeat, must learn to bot-path*

Upvote 0
Congrats to all the winners. I may be biased but I honestly thought Berezina would be the winner hands down. That's not a knock on the other maps but Berezina is unlike any other map I've seen in RO. Good luck to all the mappers in phase two.

I think pushing the deadline back has created a fair amount of ill will among the mappers that have been busting their ass to make the deadline. I understand what TW is trying to do but frankly once you set a deadline, be it unrealistic or not you stick to it because there are guys out there that will take up that challenge and do everything they can to hit it. To punish them by extending the deadline really take the wind out of their sails so to speak. Either way thanks for putting on this contest because it's great for the community and we all benefit from the new custom maps that are being created.

Upvote 0
The contest is bound to produce some really wonderful maps. Those we have seen emerge thus far have been impressive. I was wrong in my original assessmemnt of the contest extension and have changed my mind. An extension can only allow for the further enhancement of many of the W.I.P. currently underway for the final phase of the mapping contest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0