• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Map-WIP] Yakovlevo

re: still needs stuff like trees

I can give you some trees ;)

637x358.resizedimage

Upvote 0
Looking good, keep it up!

Can't believe I beat Major posting here :p

I couldn't get rid of my Boss,he's been in my office all afternoon......lol, and besides you should be remaking Gazala line, not hanging around the forums,or perhaps you could ask Six_Ten to remake it for you (and me),he's good at that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks Twrecks! i love a good tank map. i hope it's gonna be huge! will there be any infantry or just tanks? i'm hoping to get some use out of the anti-tank guns being made. :)

It's fairly large, I scaled it down by 5 from my first prototypes because it was ginormous. Originally it was going to be CA, but without transports, this map is just too big for infantry IMO.

I do need help. An alpha version to anyone who PM's me with a request. I'd like to test it online before going public to sort out any glaring issues that would otherwise kill it for the community. Just require some constructive criticism, I'll do the work to fix it.

cheers :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
a very flat and open tanking map
1269379724700.jpg

dey tuk my jerb!

was going to make one like this now exams are over, although with much larger capzone a-la blackdayjuly so you can have the tankers fighting over a much wider front. Most of my unresolved mapping questions with my idea though were revolving around how to make the map really, really flat and open without being featureless :\

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you make those models yourself? Like the bridge etc..? looks great

Yea, thanks. Doing some back tracking and making lighmaps for each mesh ATM.

Still more meshes to make ;)

Played Ogledow and Bridges last night, can only hope to achieve the same level of excellence. Vehicle maps seem to not like high quantity of fluff, Gumrak as point of reference. Add 64 tanks to any of the stock infantry maps and frame rates crawl to single digits, at least on my rig :p

Upvote 0
Vehicle maps seem to not like high quantity of fluff

In my very limited experience with the SDK, the engine starts to wheeze when objects at vastly different distances need to be rendered at the same time. You have to increase the per object cull distance so much that pretty much every object in the scene needs to be rendered all the time (thus, the frame rate ends up in the crapper). While not so apparent on infantry only maps this problem really comes to light when you're trying to make a large map with relatively few hills, etc... as any good Eastern Front tank map should be. Engagement distances go from 100m to 2500m and suddenly having a group of trees render at 2000m becomes very important.

Upvote 0
Twrecks, Couple of things I found building the Orel map.

1. Keep your terrain layers/deco to 3 I have a base layer with grass deco and one other for roads and river bed etc, any more than that pumps the file size way up the Orel map is going to run in at about 250mb as it is. (Max recommended is 300).

2. Cull distance is 0, you can’t have any set as it just looks C**p in game. E.g. Texture there looking through Binocs gone when not also tank behind cover at distance with cover culled tank is in full view! Not Good!

3. Static Meshes and Brushes don’t seem to add too much size to the file but watch your shadow rendering.

If you want to take a look at what I have done PM me and I will sent you a link for the Orel files.

Upvote 0