• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]WF-Port Brest

nymets1104

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2012
USA
PortBrest_Title_5.jpg

Dramatic Trailer Compelling you to play this map

UPDATED To B5!

WF-PortBrestB5.roe (136 MB)

**VERY IMPORTANT***********

This map requires that you have the Heroes of the West Environmental Assets installed. This map will not work correctly without these assets.
Two options:
1. Subscribe through Steam Workshop Here (Easy)

2. Manually Install the Packages (Not so Easy)

**This map requires that the Heroes of the West MOD is installed which can be downloaded here or subscribed to in the Steam Workshop here

Changelog 12/31/2015:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
  • Removed Infinite Satchels from House in B
  • Added numerous Craters
  • Added roads and paths around River
  • Added reeds, rocks, and natural cover to River
  • Doubled the amount of trees
  • Varied size, shape, and position of trees
  • Narrowed river on the flanks
  • Added several Metal panels to the bridge for cover
  • Increased Allies Reinforcements to 550
  • Added Streetlights and Sidewalks to City
  • Added more light in Final Cap (D)
  • Added more upper floors in Final Cap (D)
  • Added Catwalks in Final Cap (D)
  • Modified several stock textures to fit Western Europe Theater
  • Added destructible fuel trucks
  • Adjusted culling to prevent large buildings from popping into view
  • Added Spawn for allies attacking B
  • Added / Modified Ambient Battle noise
  • Fixed Windows in B that could not be Mantled
  • Added / Updated Spawn Protection for both sides
  • Modified Objective bounds
  • Added Objective borders to overhead map
  • Axis spawn moves back slightly after initial spawn
  • Both Alleys in B and C are now open
  • Several houses in B and C are now completely open
  • Added several destroyed Sd.Kfz.
  • Added more natural sounds to river area
  • Added floating dust particles in air of A/B ;)
  • Added new French Ad Signs and artwork
  • Added new Fuel Tank Damage Animation
  • Added Dragon88 custom made couch and bed
  • Added Dragon88 custom made fountain for Brest Courtyard
  • Modified destroyed Panzer IV skin to Lemonater's Western Fleck Pattern
  • Modified Hero Bot Pathing (Be Aware at distance!)
  • Added graffiti left by deviant soldiers
  • Added a road bridge to left side of A
  • Modified terrain of Dockyards
  • Added cracks to concrete of Dockyards
  • Modified Look of destructible Concrete walls and fences
  • Added details and cover to D / E
  • Added grid marks to overhead map

A huge thanks to all who gave their feedback and input to improve this map
SCUM. LugNut, Lemonater, Beskar Mando, PsychoPigeon, Moskeeto
:IS2::IS2:

Changelog 06/26/2015:
Code:
Added Destroyable doors to Final Cap (Satchel Objectives) Engineers FTW!
Added Satchel pickups to Dockyards area
Fixed bug where pickup weapons were all black and unlit
Fixed an invisible wall near B Cap
Added additional covernodes where MGs can deploy
Fixed bullet proof fences mentioned in above post (almost forgot ;) )

Changelog 06/04/2015:
Code:
Allies Reinforcemets bumped from 400 to 500
Added cover to Allies fixed MG near A
Fixed ladder in Allies Building near A (wont break your legs)
Opened Both Alleys East and West of C, these may be entered by blowing walls, but  alternate routes are also completely open
Added 3 Satchel Objectives near C to access Alleys
Added a large hole in the North end of C cap to enter.
Reduced C and D cap times
Added to 2 mins to map time
Expanded C, D, and E caps to make attacking easier

Visual Tweaks:
Toned down the brown/red lighting

Changelog 05/30/2015:
Code:
Expanded A, B, and C Caps to allow easier capping by Allies
Added a second story to building on Allies side of lake
Added a fixed MG to the two story building as well
Added numerous Smoke Grenade pick-ups along with a few satchels
Added large rocks and destroyed tanks to the edge and in the Lake itself.
Added Metal plates at the base of the bridge posts for cover
Added a large hole to the wall of the B Cap building.
Added Several destructible fences along both roads near C Cap
Added two more enterable buildings near C Cap 
Added additional rail car near to cut down firing lanes for Axis MGs
Added a broken wall near C cap for cover

Visual Tweaks:
Changed lighting color to better reflect evening / sunset battle
Added subtle Light Rays for environment enhancement
Brightened lighting slightly

A huge Thank You of Appreciation to a rising star in the 3D modeling scene,
Postamenos12
He custom designed several new trees specifically for this map along with the gorgeous hedgerows!
Spoiler!

For More information on the Heroes of the West Mod:

MODDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/heroes-of-the-west

TWI: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=101716

Steam Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=319269696

Heroes of the West Players Group: http://steamcommunity.com//groups/HOTWplayers

http://HOTW.TK

The Battle for Brest
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Now I don't know if this is an issue with the map or just the game. But one of the american bots was a Tposed japanese soldier. Slid around the battlefield. Standing upright too rather than lying down. Ken the undercover japanese spy. He would slide up to germans and stand in front of them until he got killed. Swapped teams and he was still there. Pretty funny. When he died only his legs ragdolled as well. It was Singleplayer offline when this happened so it probably won't happen online.

Upvote 0
Can the Panzers be driven in the current state of hotw?

The Panzers would work if a mapper added a Tank Role to the Axis team. Allies have no armor though.

The tanks on this map are just empty tanks that I spawned to add to the environment. They don't shoot, but will cause "suppression" if you get near them as an Allied player. A Lemonater said, they can be destroyed with satchels. I played around with making them a satchel Objective or having them explode when the caps were taken, but that part fizzled out towards the end. I will keep playing with it though.

I did notice on a few matches with bots that Bot Engineers would destroy them too, which was pretty cool.

Upvote 0
So it isnt that hard to make German armor work?

Also im not sure M3 Stuart was widely used in Europe, a Sherman tank wreck or functiong would be better on the map.

German armor would work just fine, but the Allies lack an AT Class so this could affect the balance of the maps.

I had a Sherman Model that I included in the map wherever you see an M3, unfortunately we could not confirm the source of the model and opted to remove it for the time being.

Upvote 0
Just played with a mostly full server (cheers all for the game, was good fun).

The later caps feel quite good and, despite C being a bit tight, all seemed doable with a bit of effort. A and B however were just a shooting gallery for the Germans. It eventually came to a point where in both rounds we retreated just so the game could go on a little more and we could fully test the map. Currently its a bit like the opening parts of Bridges where the attackers wander into the defenders firing range and get ripped apart as a result.
If possible a few bits of cover in the river (rocks, bits of tree etc...) would be good, and maybe a good overlook building for the attackers that could give a nice sniper or MG nest would be awesome.

Bar that the map looks damn nice. Good to see the new assets being used. :)

EDIT: Also noticed this... cloud?
http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...534/04356B627D852BDD920ED4FCB4AC85E2B1F613F7/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just played with a mostly full server (cheers all for the game, was good fun).

The later caps feel quite good and, despite C being a bit tight, all seemed doable with a bit of effort. A and B however were just a shooting gallery for the Germans. It eventually came to a point where in both rounds we retreated just so the game could go on a little more and we could fully test the map. Currently its a bit like the opening parts of Bridges where the attackers wander into the defenders firing range and get ripped apart as a result.
If possible a few bits of cover in the river (rocks, bits of tree etc...) would be good, and maybe a good overlook building for the attackers that could give a nice sniper or MG nest would be awesome.

Bar that the map looks damn nice. Good to see the new assets being used. :)

EDIT: Also noticed this... cloud?
http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...534/04356B627D852BDD920ED4FCB4AC85E2B1F613F7/

Wondeful! My thanks to all who joined. I will definitely address these issues and get them fixed in an upcoming update.

That image is an airburst emitter, there are 2 or 3 on the map. It explodes then slowly fades to explode again, they are featured on Iwo Jima quite a bit. Did it look unnatural on this map?

Upvote 0
I think that cloud was bugged for that match. Its not that it looked unnatural, it was not animated for whatever reason. I noticed it in spectator mode before the match began and flew around it and it was not actually animating, looking like a flying ball of cotton wool hanging in the sky for the whole match.

Upvote 0
I played yesterday event only in the second match.

Cap zone A:
It's too hard to break through the river - map is not very wide, whole firepower of defenders is concentrated in a small area. A working smoke barrage from Iwo Jima, more obstacles in the river (i.e. Stuart stuck in swamp) and a small safe approach to a river could help. A well placed Browning HMG should help Amies to keep enemy supressed. How about changing this see-through deck into a safe stone bridge?

Cap zone B:

This buiding is made from BSP I think so maybe you could destroy there fragment of the wall to throw grenades inside easier?

Cap zone C:

Germans located somewhere in D can shoot to everything til doors from building B. Just deploy here MG 42 and fire...

Opening map flanks should add more options for the attackers. At this stage of development it's rather hard to modify elevation of terrain and houses position so maybe somekind of sewers is possible. Or replace C to unused part of a map in G6/G7, but it still will be huge layout reworking

Upvote 0
Thank you moritocre for the feedback and pics!

I have heard similar input from others and will definitely add cover to the l;ake / river area. I am planning on shifting the A capzone closer to Allies side of lake as well. I may be able to modify the bridge or simply change the collision on it to keep playes from being shot from underneath or sides. Your idea to make a hole in the Wall of B is a great suggestion and I will certainly add this. I may also add a second floor to the small building on Allies side of A and here I can place a HMG.

As far as the "death lanes" of C cap, I can add more rail cars to block this killing zone from D and possibly add a wall near the fountain to keep the long distance shots from being so easy to make.

As you mentioned, shifting the caps or building would be a large task, but I can look into underground tunnels or access to D also.

I am making these updates a priority so the next event can have a more balanced experience on this map. Oddly, when I was developing and testing with Bots, it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to defend the map no matter how hard I tried as Axis TL, humans bring whole new aspect LOL. :)

Thanks to all who have given their input.

Upvote 0
Bots are useless at defending. But they are very good at attacking. Better than players sometimes. As they move into the cap zones and never camp while attacking.

Adding a radioman would be good just to test how they will actually work in game. As they do function properly. But I want to see how players use them. Don't remove any radios. Just add in the class for the americans.

But yeah making the buildings on the Americans right side enter able would help them out quite a bit. Currently the Americans can't get any fire on C. They have that one window on the center building. Lots of smoke and hope you don't get hit by a bullet being sprayed blindly into the smoke. Not to mention its counter production as it allows the germans to move forward.

What do the Americans have in the way of artillery on the map. In reality they have full naval fire support and air support.

Upvote 0
Both sides are limited to Mortars simply because of the smaller size of the map.

I had added the Radioman class on an earlier build and tested it online with Moskeeto. A problem we ran into when the radioman dies, the spot he dies becomes a "Radio Point" for the remainder of the map. Nothing shows on the map, but if you walk by as the TL, you can bring up the radio although nothing there. Shepard is aware and still working on it.

Upvote 0
UPDATED To B2!

WF-PortBrestB2.roe (94 MB)

Download .ini File

Download a Zip of Both Files Here (82 MB)

Thanks for all the quick and descriptive feedback from everyone.

Changelog:
Expanded A, B, and C Caps to allow easier capping by Allies
Added a second story to building on Allies side of lake
Added a fixed MG to the two story building as well
Added numerous Smoke Grenade pick-ups along with a few satchels
Added large rocks and destroyed tanks to the edge and in the Lake itself.
Added Metal plates at the base of the bridge posts for cover
Added a large hole to the wall of the B Cap building.
Added Several destructible fences along both roads near C Cap
Added two more enterable buildings near C Cap
Added additional rail car near to cut down firing lanes for Axis MGs
Added a broken wall near C cap for cover

Visual Tweaks:
Changed lighting color to better reflect evening / sunset battle
Added subtle Light Rays for environment enhancement
Brightened lighting slightly

New Screens:

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0