• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]WF-Port Brest

We played last version B3 of the map on full 50 server.
Americans managed for the first time to take the harbour.

Intense struggle, the map was greatly appreciated by the players with the feedback I heard on our TS.

This is definitly an epic battle.

Now, we need Caen/St Amand/St Come to reach this level :)
Caen needs filling and balance
St Amand maybe needs less ups and hills...(we must play it more)
St come needs balance

Thanx from the French Community!
Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
Merci Beaucoup!

Wonderful to hear. As you have gathered by now, map balancing is not my strong point. :D

With your feedback and good player turnouts I am able to modify things quickly. I will work on the other maps and see what I can do for Caen as well. Several other maps are currently in design / development phases for the Western Front by myself and others. Thanks for the great support you and the other French members have shown this mod!

Upvote 0
We played last version B3 of the map on full 50 server.
Americans managed for the first time to take the harbour.

Intense struggle, the map was greatly appreciated by the players with the feedback I heard on our TS.

This is definitly an epic battle.

Now, we need Caen/St Amand/St Come to reach this level :)
Caen needs filling and balance
St Amand maybe needs less ups and hills...(we must play it more)
St come needs balance

Thanx from the French Community!
Keep up the good work!

The only thing bothering me about this map are a couple of small things:
- some fences have collision, meaning that bullets don't go through them (the tall building leading to D and E, will post screen when I come home after work). Enemies would gather there, but no go with killing them unless they run out behind that fence :D
- It seems that spawns in the harbor for the Germans are a little bit unbalanced, since Americans can use the flanks and just kill them running towards D and E with no problems :D Maybe put spawns for Germans closer when D is not captured, or limit movement for the Americans so they don't go charging into E while D is still open.

EDIT: It's the fence on the right side of the screenshot attached to this post

Attachments

• 2015-06-09_21-23-15.jpg
    2015-06-09_21-23-15.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Updated to B4

https://s3.amazonaws.com/redorchestra2/Port_Brest/WF-PortBrestB4.roe

Changelog 06/26/2015
Code:
Added Destroyable doors to Final Cap (Satchel Objectives) Engineers FTW!
Added Satchel pickups to Dockyards area
Fixed bug where pickup weapons were all black and unlit
Fixed an invisible wall near B Cap
Added additional covernodes where MGs can deploy
Fixed bullet proof fences mentioned in above post (almost forgot ;) )

Thanks again for all of your feedback

Upvote 0
Sinking my teeth back into [Port] Brest....

I would love to know what you hate, love, or have no idea about on this map.

A brief preliminary list of things to be addressed:

• Infinite Satchel pickup in B getting axed
  • Adding streetlights and details to the city
  • More trees in A/B
  • Craters and more terrain relief to A/B
  • Buffing Reinforcements
  • Narrowing River on the Flanks of A
  • Adding more foliage details to river area
  • Adding a proper road to the bridge
  • Opening up the approach from B to C to give multiple avenues of attack

Beyond this list, I am all ears and I LOVE to see videos of any gameplay even if nothing significant occurs as it gives me a better feel for the flow of the map with specific server populations.

Or just share your experiences on the map when you have played, thanks!

Upvote 0
I've never played it with a full server, so as usual, take my comments with a grain of salt.

In general the first half feels like an old school shoebox map, narrow, linear and confined. Where since there are few options, success becomes totally reliant on out shooting the guys who camp the same spots instead of trying to outwit them as well.

A cap can often be a slaughter for the Allies because of the open terrain, more cover coming out of the spawn towards the bridge would be helpful. I've never seen actual fighting on the bridge itself and since the river is so flat and shallow, it never seems that important. Usually, some axis run up on it and are quickly shot off, same for allies. You can cap A from behind the big rock on the left side, so that seems to be the anticlimactic way of accomplishing it. Run up and hide behind something, no point in shooting it out.

Maybe move A to the Allies side of the bridge and add something there worth fighting over? Trenches or defensive positions of some sort. That would force axis to get across the river and make it worth it for the allies to try and flank. Steeper banks would make the bridge more valuable and believable.

B is too narrow, as is this middle section of the map in general. It feels odd, to have a big wide approach with a single A cap and then it narrows down to a small courtyard. It'd be nice to be able to if not flank through the houses on the allies left of B, at least have openings in the debris blocking the streets for axis to shoot out of and allies to return fire. If you want to force all traffic through B like the gate to the city, maybe some enterable buildings where axis and allies can shoot into each others zones, but they can't enter.

B plays out similar to A except it's a nade fest. Run into the courtyard and hide behind cover, both Axis and Allies know exactly where each side is coming from, so get your back to a wall and shoot anyone who peeks out. If there was more room to maneuver, it'd be more tense with the fighting more fluid.

C seems fine. It'd be nice if the little nooks on the sides of the streets opened into the buildings on the sides, even just into a single room to fire out of. Now, you dash into these small dead ends that feel odd and don't provide much of an advantage to either side.

I've only had one match where the allies got past C, it usually stalls there. Axis mg's can sit on the allies left and mow down anyone who steps out trying to get towards the train cars. This allows the rest of the axis team to move up and sit in good spots to nail the stragglers. A bit more cover could help the allies survive an attempt to flank right or battle in the trains.

Right now you can flank all the way around via the harbor to behind the last axis spawn. I can't really comment on the last half, since I only made it there once on a less than half full server.

In general, I think if you could poke a few holes in the unenterable corridors, that would make each side less certain in where danger lies. I feel like now, since you are within impenetrable walls, you don't have to scan your periphery, which especially for the defenders allows you to keep 100% of your focus on the attackers exit points. It would make it feel like less of a grind if there's more options for both sides.

Upvote 0
I've played Brest multiple times on a full server.

A isn't that bad of an objective. All it needs is a bit more trees on the German side (to help with pop in of the buildings). And some more cover to help with flanking on the allied side. But yeah A needs fire superiority to take. I think it's fine to have one objective like that.

B is the hardest objective in the map. It really needs more opportunities on the right AND very important the Windows need to have mantle points in them. As you can't mantle through any of the Windows only take cover behind them.

Opening up the map a bit more may be a good start around C and B as well. People are running into places they think they can go but can't.

D is a great objective. Lots of places to sneak around and defend from.

E is another objective that's pretty good. It's just really really really dark inside the buildings. The top floor could be opened a bit as well in the factories. Maybe even a gangway or conveyer belt between the two factory buildings.

Upvote 0
To echo what others have been saying I would say points from A to C are the ones that actually need work while the last two points possibly only need a little visual tweaking.

A is my biggest concern, mainly because it is, from what I can tell, a reasonably wide cap point and people rarely use the flanks and pouring onto or under the bridge. As the bridge is so flimsy / small that focuses the defenders fire into a reasonably small area. There is cover yes, but again it is very concentrated into a small area where one set of mortars can halt a lot. As I've said in PMs a few times I think there needs to be some form of encouragement to get people to flank more on this cap. The two fold things that would help would be:
A) Give the caps a border on the map. Really simple thing that would show people that there is more to the cap than the bridge.
B) Visual pointers such as, as mentioned a few times, a road possibly cutting across the map horizontally with some burnt out bits and bobs on it (e.g. burnt out panzer squad) and maybe a building or two, but nothing major. Also I mentioned a few bits of water foliage as well maybe on the banks going into the water to a degree to hide in. Last of all, and possibly the simplest in this regard, just a dirt path or two leading from the spawn area along the flanks, looking to move forward and to the sides.

Again B is a cap that is sort of wide, but its not 100% apparent due to the visual focus on the house. Not sure what to advise bar adding an additional spawn point on the right perhaps as, at the moment the attackers are usually just focused on going in straight lines right to the building. The right spawn may be on the far side of the river maybe unlike the left. Perhaps there could be something also on the left side? Not sure what.

C, not sure bar opening more backstreets, but that's one of those subjects that can change the point from being too tough to too easy. It would be one of those horrid things that can only really be iterated via feedback with more public testing. It depends on if you are willing to spend that much time on this map for that.

D and E, as said, I'm not touching as they are good. D is, despite being a point where I've seen the map lockdown, a really good point. Most of the times I've seen the attackers loose here is due to the defending team being good or people not using the many flanks to their advantage. E, maybe a little easy, but its very well balanced. I noticed you can cap by sitting just outside the buildings walls, but that was a long while ago. That would be the biggest change if any is made.

Gonna have to have a fly about in spectator mode once I've done some more uni work. Will have a look at the visual side of it as I know this map is now a little bit weird in places, mainly down to its believability e.g. roads that don't seem to go anywhere, houses without doors, houses that are just 1 room etc...

Upvote 0