• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] TE-Yakovlevo

Operation Citadelle has begun!

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-219-0596-12,_Russland,_Panzer_IV_und_Sch%C3%BCtzenpanzer_in_Fahrt.jpg

Download Yakovlevo_CA.roe (225mb) here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/52ok124827i7d1c/TE-Yakovlevo_CA.roe

Note: This is a BETA, user feedback welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On which server i can test this awesome stuff?

My feedback after playing with bots

First I want say - the map looks really gorgeous and beautiful, a lot of space to maneuver, a lot of small details. This type of map i wanted a long time.

After touring the entire map I had a few thoughts:

1. Lacking shelters for infantry for a concealed movement and shelters to avoid constant shooting tanks from a long distance on flat terrain without being able infantry to hide. So it is worth to add a some bushes near roads, small gullies and ditches. Because there may be situations when dismounted infantry after damage of the transport - generally nowhere to hide in the flat open fields.

2. Its worth to fill the world around with sounds. Now almost complete silence everywhere.

3. Opportunity to defend a point "С" with the Germans in the opposite direction. Now in the trenches on the right side of point "С" (when viewed from the German perspective) you cant to pop out and fire in the russian direction because walls in the thenches is too hi.

and some questions: this ford under a steel bridge, this is a feature or a defect? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. Lacking shelters for infantry for a concealed movement and shelters to avoid constant shooting tanks from a long distance on flat terrain without being able infantry to hide. So it is worth to add a some bushes near roads, small gullies and ditches. Because there may be situations when dismounted infantry after damage of the transport - generally nowhere to hide in the flat open fields.

You have to think about at what point (distance) will the engine cull those bushes and they then disappear from view.

As a player, you must always keep that in mind, because you may think you are hidden, but those viewing you from a distance may see you as being in plain open sight. Just a drawback of engine optimization.

Upvote 0
The%20crew%20of%20a%20PzKpfw%20III%20tank.jpg

Thanks PRAPOR for the feedback :)
"On which server i can test this awesome stuff?" RGN has it loaded, use the Steam browser. Steam has to be in your Start bar.
From your desktop left click the <START> button, go up to "Steam", the fly out to the right should have "Servers" under the TASK heading. Apply a filter for Red Orchestra 2, and you should find them. The join feature with their IP no longer works in game, and the server is blocked in the in-game browser, so the Steam browser is the only option.

1. "generally nowhere to hide in the flat open fields" True, there was very little cover on the steppes, mostly short rye grass. Use vehicles for cover, or the rolling terrain as natural cover.
As =GG= Mr Moe points out, there are issues with using foliage as cover, plus the map is really big, too many long distance meshes will negatively impact FPS, and there are already a lot.

2. I'll check, there should be wind and grass, plus the river and trees all have soundFX. At one point the volume was too high, perhaps it is too low now :p

3. Yea, the AA spots are intentionally deep. I'm still tweaking the trenches and tunnels.

4. There are two fords, one behind German lines and the one under the truss bridge was a happy accident.

Upvote 0
np PRAPOR. Appreciate that you made a post.

The draw call vs distance is a problem for any game engine. For RO2/RS the LOD (level of detail) models aren't aggressive enough for modders using stock assets. For Dev's, meshes can be grouped for LOD's even further reducing draw calls. ATM, the only thing mappers can do is completely cull (make invisible) meshes at specified distances.

FYI, the CA version is a WIP, so any/all feedback will be taken seriously.

Upvote 0
71 years ago this week, the Wehrmacht reached Yakovlevo in their attempt to seize the Kursk salient. The battle for Prokhorovka was just days and a few miles away.

From Clark, Lloyd (2012). Kursk: The Greatest Battle: Eastern Front 1943 "Das Reich had been unable to push forward. Forced onto the defensive by the 2nd Guards Tank Corps and 2nd Tank Corps, it was unable to undertake its planned attack. Its panzer group counterattacked several times against advancing Soviet armour"

Yakovlevo marked the second line of defense where the Soviets had dug in. The natual terrain created a funnel where the advancing Germans would break out onto the fields south of the first iron mine in the region. The surrounding hills gave the Soviets a tactical advantage, and the "Gubnik" head frame (tower) an excellent vantage point to alert reserves of an attack.

Several Panzers were knocked out by Katyusha rockets positioned on the ridge over the village. Das Reich never reached Prokhorovka, and withdrew to the East. Today in Yakovlevo (Belgorod Oblast), near an old windmill, stands a memorial 1941 BM-13 kayusha in honor of the battle's hero "Shalandin".

1310905848_katjusha.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Operation Citadelle has begun!

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-219-0596-12,_Russland,_Panzer_IV_und_Sch%C3%BCtzenpanzer_in_Fahrt.jpg

Download Yakovlevo_CA.roe (225mb) here:

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/download/52ok124827i7d1c/TE-Yakovlevo_CA.roe[/URL]

Note: This is a BETA, user feedback welcome.

We will be hosting this map this Sunday at our Custom Maps Sunday :IS2: It will be our 3rd map, after Zhytomir and FallenFighters1942. If there are still enough players around, we'll continue with this. Hopefully there's nice flow of players coming and going so there's energy to play these maps :D

Upvote 0
We will be hosting this map this Sunday at our Custom Maps Sunday :IS2: It will be our 3rd map, after Zhytomir and FallenFighters1942. If there are still enough players around, we'll continue with this. Hopefully there's nice flow of players coming and going so there's energy to play these maps :D

Thxs tman29th!

Working on an update, will try to get it posted here by Sunday morning. Includes a few fixes and upgraded features to make the map more enjoyable for infantry.

I'd like to rename the CA version to something completely different/new.

Voronezh, Petyaivolk, Zitadelle, Citadel or Kursk?

Upvote 0
Thxs tman29th!

Working on an update, will try to get it posted here by Sunday morning. Includes a few fixes and upgraded features to make the map more enjoyable for infantry.

I'd like to rename the CA version to something completely different/new.

Voronezh, Petyaivolk, Zitadelle, Citadel or Kursk?

Will you be updating it to include the new tanks?

Upvote 0