• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-TankGunnery

Single shots like that out of nowhere bring me joy. :p

This map has completely changed how I both view and play AT. It's a duel between me and the tanker and unless the tanker is experienced, the advantage is mine. Like most people, i used to fire endless rounds without success, giving away my position and being blown up over and over. Now, i sneak around like a ninja and wait for them to present a kill shot. It's great fun.

I just wish there were more CA maps played.

Upvote 0
The map is fine and very nice.

It has a problem though, when shooting at a target if practicing in the rear area (where the firearms and tables are) I have to shoot slightly right to hit the target. A good example is when shooting at the head of the soldier I have to imagine a second head on the right of the real head and if i aim at that second head then I can make a headshot. The same is relevant to the whole body, the tanks etc..
If I aim at the visible head and body I always miss the target.
When penetrating the back middle of turret the flash comes slightly from the left back of the turret, if I want to penetrate the middle I have to shoot at the right back of the turret.

When practicing with AT rifle towards the open area when shooting at the engine area of the halftrack the penetration flash and black smoke comes from the middle of the vehicle, when shooting at the middle it comes from the back of the vehicle. So in that direction I have to aim to the left not to the right as it is in the rear area.

I do not know how the engine works but it seems like there is a graphical (visible) map and a matrix or hit detection map which is slightly misaligned.
I think it should be aligned to the visible map to have correct testing and this map would be perfect.

Upvote 0
I tested it again.

The problematic side (as i see so far) is only the russian side, the german seems to be ok.

The problem is valid for all the weapons EXCEPT the scoped rifles. Strange, but this is how it is, the scoped SVT-40 hits the target when you aim at the visible target as well with the scoped G41 (after killing one of the soldiers i managed to pick one up an try).

It is furthermore interesting when shooting with the DP-28 MG to a farther soldier the green trace of the bullet is visibly curving to the left....
Try it to confirm me pls...
It is fun when the bullets are not going straightforward but slightly turns to the left when shooting :))
Maybe this is the same with all the other weapons, just more visible with the MG.

I am looking into this. Does this happen everytime you play? I have noticed this issue on occasion but not everytime.

Also, does it happen on both sides?

Upvote 0
I tested it again.

The problematic side (as i see so far) is only the russian side, the german seems to be ok.

The problem is valid for all the weapons EXCEPT the scoped rifles. Strange, but this is how it is, the scoped SVT-40 hits the target when you aim at the visible target as well with the scoped G41 (after killing one of the soldiers i managed to pick one up an try).

It is furthermore interesting when shooting with the DP-28 MG to a farther soldier the green trace of the bullet is visibly curving to the left....
Try it to confirm me pls...
It is fun when the bullets are not going straightforward but slightly turns to the left when shooting :))
Maybe this is the same with all the other weapons, just more visible with the MG.
I believe there's a thread about this, can't find it though. They said it's something to do with the map-like the map is 'un-aligned' or some craziness.

Upvote 0
Yes its the allignment. In this case, I took great care to center the map since its original purpose was to allign the IOM tank optics.

HOWEVER...
I have a theory that I will look into. The further you get from the center of the map, the less accurate the shots become. The German small arms range is very close to the center of the map while the Russian one is way off to the right. If I move it to the center wall I am hoping it will fix this.

Upvote 0
Yep, I think you're right.

I didn't test all the weapons, but Axis AT seems pretty good with either rifle, maybe not perfect at long range, but I wouldn't notice normally.

Allied pulls left with either rifle and when I drove over with the same rifles to the axis range, they're fine there.

Upvote 0
Yep, I think you're right.

I didn't test all the weapons, but Axis AT seems pretty good with either rifle, maybe not perfect at long range, but I wouldn't notice normally.

Allied pulls left with either rifle and when I drove over with the same rifles to the axis range, they're fine there.

Unfortunately i think it is simply because the map is so large, but will look into it

Upvote 0
There is a very easy solution for this, you may separate the german and russian area to two different tank gunnery maps and that's it.
At this stage of development I would change map name to something like
PracticingMap-Axis.roe and PracticingMap-Russians.roe since there are infantry, tanks, halftracks and all kind of weapons too.
But it depends on you, changing names has less importance....

Dividing it to two maps should be considered.

Unfortunately i think it is simply because the map is so large, but will look into it

Upvote 0
Yes its the allignment. In this case, I took great care to center the map since its original purpose was to allign the IOM tank optics.

HOWEVER...
I have a theory that I will look into. The further you get from the center of the map, the less accurate the shots become. The German small arms range is very close to the center of the map while the Russian one is way off to the right. If I move it to the center wall I am hoping it will fix this.

This is true with all maps, the further the away off the center the map is it alters the ballistics drastically. It's because the ballistic calculation rely on the center.

Upvote 0
Addition to misalignment

Addition to misalignment

I tested the map again and realized that this misalignment is valid only on one axis. I mean the terrain map mesh is a 2D thing one dimension has the X axis the other has Y (forget about Z now).
If we assume that the line of Y dimension goes along from the rear practicing area (for arms) to the open area (for tank gunnery) there is no misalignment.
Simpler, if I want to shoot at the poor soldier from the side the hit detection is accurate independently which one you shoot at, just go down to the next one and shoot from his side aiming, hitting accurate (this is what I called moving along dimension Y).
If I shoot at them face to face the problem persists, there is a misalignment in dimension X, i have to shoot slightly aside (dimension X means when moving from the german side to the other or vice versa).

Upvote 0
Updated Again

Thanks for your great feedback.

The single axis alignment error was due to the great distance that the Allies range was from the center of the map along the X Axis (East to West). To remedy this, I moved the Allies Small arms area closer to the center of the map. The Absolute Center of the map is very close to the small opening between the two ranges. If you are still experiencing misalignment issues, please let me know and we will explore other issues. I did not re align the tank targets for the allies, so the AT Player will only have the Targets to the South to shoot at (unless you can hit something 2.4 Kilometers away with the PTRS :D).

Change Log:

Addressed the misaligned shooting on the Allies Side of the Small arms / AT Range.

Added Binos to both sides of the Small arms Range

Down Load TE-TankGunnery Here (56 MB)

OP Updated Also

Upvote 0
A quick little test today, the PTRS seems spot on.

I miss tanks on the other side of the building..... :p

Really though, they're not needed. If anything, add some more laterally where they are, that way we could get more oblique angles when in the tower.

It's great as is.

Attachments

• 2015-03-11_00001.jpg
    2015-03-11_00001.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Small remarks

Small remarks

I realized that a part of invisible wall is still in the buildings where the window-ammo cache area meets with the open area where you can prone. Only a tiny part like it was a column there.

Another remark or request for my personal favour:

can you please change the windows or only one of them on the side of the building to a window which has the frame in it?
I mean those which we do not use for AT rifle testing since they are looking to the side area.
The reason is i would like to test the satchel (or AT grenade) throwing since in several cases when i try to throw the satchel through windows with frames it sticks in the frame and have to run away also threatening team mates with blowing them up.

I would really appreciate it and promise I will never ask anything else with this map since it's fine as it is.

Thx.!

Upvote 0
I realized that a part of invisible wall is still in the buildings where the window-ammo cache area meets with the open area where you can prone. Only a tiny part like it was a column there.

Another remark or request for my personal favour:

can you please change the windows or only one of them on the side of the building to a window which has the frame in it?
I mean those which we do not use for AT rifle testing since they are looking to the side area.
The reason is i would like to test the satchel (or AT grenade) throwing since in several cases when i try to throw the satchel through windows with frames it sticks in the frame and have to run away also threatening team mates with blowing them up.

I would really appreciate it and promise I will never ask anything else with this map since it's fine as it is.

Thx.!

Not a problem sir. Will get that addressed. Have you noticed any issues with the long range Tank vs Tank targets? mainly on the German Side? The long distance targets on the Soviet side are very close in relation to eh center point, while the German 2+ KM targets are much further away. I had debated reorganizing the German tank targets to line up from left to right opposite of the way they are now, which would put the long distance targest closest to the center dividing wall. But if there are no issues now, I wont worry about it.

Also are there any other weapons requests I have not added? I tried to include a decent variation of at least each weapon class. I still hope to eventually have the player possibly be able to adjust the rotation of the tank or even add moving tanks but will get to this in the future.

Thanks for your assistance. :IS2:

Upvote 0