• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-TankGunnery

nymets1104

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2012
USA
TankGunneryLogo800.png

Download Here (61 MB)

Sharpen your skills or just learn how to tank. This is a single player practice map similar to the Practice Range map in Darkest Hour. Download through the link above and place the file in the folder:
Code:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Published\CookedPC\Maps\

Subscribe in Steam Workshop

You can choose either tank for both Germans and Russians. Targets will respawn when destroyed and are spaced at 200 meter intervals from 200 - 2400 meters, with an additional tank at 100 meters and a target for the machine guns. I may add a small arms range as well if there is any interest in this. My extreme thanks to Dibbler67 for his ideas and input to make this map in the first place!

With community input, the map now includes AT Rifles as well as a small arms range for practicing with nearly every firearm in the game. A 4 story building has also been added for high angle shots and further viewpoints. If you have an idea or a request, post it here and I will see what I can do.

Here are a few screens of the map, it's not anything jaw dropping, but great effort was put into ensuring the distances and ranges are very accurate.

Enjoy, nymets1104 :IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2:

Change Log (04/01/2015):

Added Taget Kill Zone Panels to both sides for the Panzer IV and T34, courtesy of LugNut!
Added a full window pane to the second floor of each building

Change Log (03/11/2015):

Addressed the misaligned shooting on the Allies Side of the Small arms / AT Range.

Added Binos to both sides of the Small arms Range

Change Log (03/04/2014):
Fixed Distance to Target Bug

Added "Damage Points" for each strike on a tank that inflicts damage

Fixed Small arms range spawning bug

Added Numerous Cover Nodes

Added Even more Tanks to the AT side of the range

Fixed Bots Shooting from Spawn Bug

Added More ReSupply Points

Change Log (02/27/2014):

Added a 4 Story Tower for AT Role

Added a Small Arms Range with live respawning targets

Small Arms range has nearly every weapon in the game available for you to test and play with

Doubled Tank Targets by adding multiple Tank Models at each distance

Tanks now spawn at variable orientations, kill the Tank and it may respawn at a new angle

Kill Distance Messages are now displayed on your screen when a Tank is destroyed to give you Exact ranges

Added Transport Targets at close and short range

Added numerous Resupply points for all roles

Change Log (01/15/2014):

Changed the orientation of many of the targets. There are now angled shots, head-on, side, and rear shots.

Added an Anti Tank role to each side for practice with the AT Rifles.

Ammo Resupply spots all long the firing lines.

Added transports to help the AT Rifleman with the long distances

Added barrels with Covernodes all along the firing line for for the AT Rifleman. Can also go prone between the concrete barriers.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2qed8zHhm0

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch! :IS2:

For any reading, I'd like to point out that the scale on the vanilla PzIV sight is incorrect. The black and white checkered squares are 2x2m and should be covered by the small triangles at 1000m. So, if you knew this be assured that the map scale is correct.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome! :D

Can you add AT rifles? It's sooo frustrating when you start with them figuring things out.

Are there tanks in various positions at each distance? Front/side/rear and 45 degrees facing toward and away?

Yes, I can easily add AT roles. Right now tanks are positioned side views and a couple head on, but I could add rear and angled shots also. Thanks for the suggestions!

Upvote 0
It's pretty cool! I like that you can drive out onto the range, that way you can get odd angles and figure out ranges yourself.

I'd love to see moving targets like on an ARMA gun range! :)

If you add AT, stick some ammo crates out by the wall. That'd be nice for tanks too, I was just switching sides when I ran out of ammo.

Upvote 0
Updated!

Change Log (01/15/2014):

Changed the orientation of many of the targets. There are now angled shots, head-on, side, and rear shots.

Added an Anti Tank role to each side for practice with the AT Rifles.

Ammo Resupply spots all long the firing lines.

Added transports to help the AT Rifleman with the long distances

Added barrels with Covernodes all along the firing line for for the AT Rifleman. Can also go prone between the concrete barriers.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

2015-01-15_00004.jpg

2015-01-15_00013.jpg

2015-01-15_00010.jpg

2015-01-15_00005.jpg

Upvote 0
It's interesting that there is suppression with you get to within @ 10ft from an enemy tank.

And that HE is more effective to kill a T-34 when you are in a PZIII than AP..... it takes 14 shots, but still....

That is weird since the tank is empty. I ran out of patience trying to kill T34 with Panz III lol. I should have put T70 and Panz III's downrange too. Next update i guess...:)

Upvote 0
I ran through an entire loadout of AP trying to kill a T34 from the front and sides. Couldn't even get it smoking. :mad:

I'm sure you could kill it from the back and at 90 degrees to the side, but otherwise, it's an exercise in frustration.

With HE, it smokes after 4 hits anywhere and blows up at 14.

It's great being able to really figure out weak spots with AT though, you can accurately determine which points are the best in any view angle. I was getting @10 kills per round on Arad_2 after a little practice. :)

Add a few transport targets too?

AT related improvement upgrades:

How about a separate area (all the way left where there's room?) where you spawn right next to an ammo crate with a satchel with a few tanks at 50/100/150m. Add something for elevation, so you can see what opportunities shooting down on a target presents. The last Russian building from Pavlovs maybe? Ammo crates everywhere.....

It'd be great to get feedback from targets so you could tell what sort of damage you are doing, but I'm sure that would be a huge task. Any way to add bots to the tanks? That way you could at least tell if you were getting kills without destroying the vehicle.

Upvote 0
I ran through an entire loadout of AP trying to kill a T34 from the front and sides. Couldn't even get it smoking. :mad:

I'm sure you could kill it from the back and at 90 degrees to the side, but otherwise, it's an exercise in frustration.

With HE, it smokes after 4 hits anywhere and blows up at 14.

It's great being able to really figure out weak spots with AT though, you can accurately determine which points are the best in any view angle. I was getting @10 kills per round on Arad_2 after a little practice. :)

Add a few transport targets too?

AT related improvement upgrades:

How about a separate area (all the way left where there's room?) where you spawn right next to an ammo crate with a satchel with a few tanks at 50/100/150m. Add something for elevation, so you can see what opportunities shooting down on a target presents. The last Russian building from Pavlovs maybe? Ammo crates everywhere.....

It'd be great to get feedback from targets so you could tell what sort of damage you are doing, but I'm sure that would be a huge task. Any way to add bots to the tanks? That way you could at least tell if you were getting kills without destroying the vehicle.

Appreciate the feedback LugNut,

I will put the smaller tanks downrange in the next update, either mixed in or two targets at each range.

I will also add a few transports for targets also.

I can set up a separate AT Area with a building for elevated shooting as well.

More Ammo is also not a problem to add.

As far as spawning occupied tanks...
This is possible and was part of the map initially, its very nice because when you destroyed an occupied tank, the kill ticker gives you the range to it. This is nice when shooting at Tanks not directly in front of you as the ranges to these cannot be completely known without some Trigonometry :p . The Downside of having the occupied Tanks is that they Shoot Back! Dibbler and I played with several ways of spawning dummy tanks or having the bots inside the tank be in zombie mode. They don't drive around as I have added no pylons to the map, but they will shoot at you.

This was also an issue when we played with the idea of a small arms range. I could spawn players via Kismet, but they had looked like stuffed Scarecrows with out heads or hands. It also felt like you were executing a condemned man because you shot them and they bled and dies right there. I didn't look much more into this as we were most concerned about the Tank Range at the time, but I can open this back up.

Moving targets should be able to be added via matinees and I still intend on doing this as well. I would also like to get something displayed to the screen for feedback to the player about hits on target such as exact range, angle, possibly even where it hit. I had some things displaying to the LOG via Kismet, but also put this on the back burner. I will continue to play with it and get these features added though, thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
The Downside of having the occupied Tanks is that they Shoot Back!
:eek:

Here's an idea, and I haven't a clue if it's feasible, but it'd be cool if there was a lower probability of the tank you just killed respawning and beginning to target you. It's great to be able to kill empty tanks, but it would be fun to have a shootout once in a while.

Thanks for the help, this map is a great resource. All the extra data would be nice to have.

I invite you to play TE-Orel ad TE-Black Day July to put what you've learned to practice. You know where to find them. Oh, and uh, Yakovlevo, Yakovlevo_CA, Werneche-Kumsk, StalingradOutskirts...

You bet. I can't play Yak_CA though since my ping goes straight to 900 for some reason, regular Yakovlevo is fine. Does W-K have bots on your server? On the German one, it's empty...

Upvote 0