• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-TankGunnery

Fixing AI shooting at enemy tanks in front of them is not a must I think, it's even funny though, you decide if you fix it or not.

I just suggested to rotate the building based on the thought it is easier to solve the issue this way. If you rotate it by 90 degrees to head the sandbags opening to the rear of the map we can do tests on the rear tanks while the open floor will look towards the open space just 90 degrees rotated.
If it's easier to solve the deployment issue with the windows you can do it that way without rotating the building, you decide which is easier.

Displaying damage points (if it is really possible) would be the top what this map could provide, i think...

Thanks for the quick feedback and testing guys!

I did not thoroughly test the Kill Distance Text and am currently working on a fix to this.

As far as the bots, if you load the level with 0 bots it will address the problem you stated as the way I set it up in the kismet was upon destroying a vehicle, it calculates the distance between you and the vehicle, regardless of who destoyed this. I may just move the spawn points for the tanks so that the bots cant "see" any targets from the spawn, or put up a blocking volume that prevents them from shooting out of the spawn.

I used a "lazy" kismet set up for the spawning of the human targets and believe it will be an easy solution so each one spawns independent of the others when killed after a 10 sec or so cool down between.

As far as the building goes, I removed all of the "debris" and now it will be the wooden floors. I failed to add covernodes to several points which is why you cant deploy the AT rifle at some of those windows. If I ensured that you could shoot from each side on each floor would that work for you or would rotating the building be better?

I fixed that invisible wall on the top floor also. I can definitely look into adding moving targets, similar to the moving recon plane in the actual game, would just follow a set animation track then respawn like the other tanks when destroyed.

What I wanted to really look into was displaying the damage points to the screen with each hit on a tank so you know exactly how much damage is done with each shot at each location. I believe this is doable, but will take some trial and error with the kismet on my end.

Let me know what you think and I will get this updated soon!

Upvote 0
I usually set it up without bots, but did today. Tank ai on both sides will start to shoot targets down range, which is OK I suppose, but the kill distance shows up on your screen which is annoying.

Also, on the small arms range, the first ai in line will respawn 4 less than a second apart if you kill them fast enough. It's hilarious.

Anyway to make your respawn time zero or one second? No point in waiting around....

I like the bonfire. :D

Upvote 0
I usually set it up without bots, but did today. Tank ai on both sides will start to shoot targets down range, which is OK I suppose, but the kill distance shows up on your screen which is annoying.

Also, on the small arms range, the first ai in line will respawn 4 less than a second apart if you kill them fast enough. It's hilarious.

Anyway to make your respawn time zero or one second? No point in waiting around....

I like the bonfire. :D

I can change respawn time, but might need to keep it a few seconds (3 or 4) in case you want to change classes?

The respawning bots will be fixed on next update

The AI shooting at targets will also be addressed

I have fixed the multiple distances showing on the HUD, but at the cost of the big red text (I really liked that LOL) It will now show in smaller font biege color, but still easily visible.

I will rotate the buildings 90 degrees clockwise if Iread your previous posts correctly.

I hope to get the damage numbers posted also so maybe in a couple more days I will have a new update

Upvote 0
I can change respawn time, but might need to keep it a few seconds (3 or 4) in case you want to change classes?

Ah, didn't think of that.... do as you see fit.

The respawning bots isn't really a problem since it's just a target range, it just leaves a pile of dead guys. I just thought you should know in case it means something more sinister.

Damage will be awesome to know, I'm trying to map out tank soft spots and it's easy to tell what will kill them, but not if it's only doing internal damage.

Upvote 0
You will walk right through this window on all floors.

The farthest left table when facing the tanks won't let you deploy on it. Also, when using the tables to deploy, it's easy to pick up stuff by mistake. What about moving them to behind you or along the building and having a few sandbag walls to deply on? They work well.

Bot massacres.... :p

Attachments

• 2015-02-27_00007.jpg
    2015-02-27_00007.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-03-02_00001.jpg
    2015-03-02_00001.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
You will walk right through this window on all floors.

The farthest left table when facing the tanks won't let you deploy on it. Also, when using the tables to deploy, it's easy to pick up stuff by mistake. What about moving them to behind you or along the building and having a few sandbag walls to deply on? They work well.

Bot massacres.... :p

OK thanks Lugnut,

I Will address both of these issues with this newest update.

I finally got the kill distances and damage points announcements working.
Now you will receive feedback about the damage inflicted by all weapons on the vehicles. The damage number returned by the damaged tank is confusing at best. I have not bee able to find a definitive guide to the overall health of a tank or how damage is subtracted to determine when a tank "dies".

I will let you play with it and see what you think. One thing I was shocked to find was just how many shots on the tanks with AT rifles apparently do NO damage whatsoever. Hitting the tank at anything other than a right angle is almost futile, even at short distances under 50m. At times, pistols will even "damage" a tank although not enough to ever destroy it.

I did a hacky fix to keep the bots from shooting out of the spawn also, just put up a wall so they can't see the range lol. I will hopefully get this wrapped up in the next day or two and get it out to you.

Also, I added the Type 95 Japanese Tank as a target, but it does not seem to be damaged by AT rifles. It can be destroyed by AT grenades and satchels. It also has some weird red animation markers on it when it spawns, so I may leave this off of this update until I can resolve this.

Thanks again for your time and testing guys!

Upvote 0
Hitting the tank at anything other than a right angle is almost futile

The angle is EVERYTHING, that's why it's such a challenge with the AT rifle. It gets easier once you start to figure out where the soft spots are and where you need to be relative to them. I'd suggest moving the tower over so you are directly in front of the two tanks since they spawn either parallel or perpendicular to the firing line. Being off to the side will make it harder for people to get penetration shots.

Over 50m, there doesn't seem to be much penalty for distance. If you are 90 degrees to your target piece of armor plate and can still see and hit it, you can kill a tank at any distance with a clip or less. If there were scopes on AT rifles, they would keep tankers hiding in their spawns.

If you have a badly damaged tank, you can hit a glancing shot in a weak spot and kill it, but it seems to be more "the straw that broke the camels back" than a kill shot.

From what I've observed and read in some other threads, there is the overall health, which you can chip away at, kills by penetration that hits ammo or fuel/engine (insta kills) and mechanical damage which tops out. For example, you can damage the tracks, but once it hits a max value limit, that's it. You can shoot it all day and never kill the tank.

That's one reason seeing the damage values are so important, hopefully we'll be able to figure out what's going on and form proper strategy when you only have a lousy angle to work with.

I think the type 95 isn't coded for AT damage since there aren't any in RS. I believe those guys are going to leave it as is for now and have the bazooka charge act like an AT nade.

Upvote 0
I dont know anything about mapping. Just gave an idea

With simple kismet , there are a lot of possibilities that would not be practical on a normal map, but are great for this type of practice map. I will look into this idea. I want to test a theory i had afyer i read Twrecks post on the Ha Go thread, attaching a radio to a vehicle like a half track so that it acts as a mobile radio.

Upvote 0
The angle is EVERYTHING, that's why it's such a challenge with the AT rifle. It gets easier once you start to figure out where the soft spots are and where you need to be relative to them. I'd suggest moving the tower over so you are directly in front of the two tanks since they spawn either parallel or perpendicular to the firing line. Being off to the side will make it harder for people to get penetration shots.

Over 50m, there doesn't seem to be much penalty for distance. If you are 90 degrees to your target piece of armor plate and can still see and hit it, you can kill a tank at any distance with a clip or less. If there were scopes on AT rifles, they would keep tankers hiding in their spawns.

If you have a badly damaged tank, you can hit a glancing shot in a weak spot and kill it, but it seems to be more "the straw that broke the camels back" than a kill shot.

From what I've observed and read in some other threads, there is the overall health, which you can chip away at, kills by penetration that hits ammo or fuel/engine (insta kills) and mechanical damage which tops out. For example, you can damage the tracks, but once it hits a max value limit, that's it. You can shoot it all day and never kill the tank.

That's one reason seeing the damage values are so important, hopefully we'll be able to figure out what's going on and form proper strategy when you only have a lousy angle to work with.

I think the type 95 isn't coded for AT damage since there aren't any in RS. I believe those guys are going to leave it as is for now and have the bazooka charge act like an AT nade.
I've also noticed a good piece of anti-tank information.

Damaged armor looks blackened and washed out compared to intact armor. You can penetrate this damaged armor from most angles with the AT rifles. Typically this means a friendly tank has already hit the enemy tank there.

It's a great way to concentrate fire on an enemy tank without gunning for a weakpoint, and perhaps save a friendly tank in combat. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Updated!

Addressed all of the issues you guys posted as well as adding more targets for AT Rifles. Let me know your thoughts and experiences with the Damage Points System. Rather than clarify anything for me, it has confused me even more!

Thanks for your testing and input and as always, if you have an idea or bug post it.

Upvote 0