• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-Odessa

Firstly, after playing a few rounds the other day, I must say your recreation does the original justice. :)

I have a suggestion or two for any future tweaking: I am wary of bringing it up, considering how I detest its use in other maps, but I think some level of spawn protection/map restriction is necessary here. In my play-through after the Allies (my team) captured Objectives A+B, I had teammates reporting regularly about a few Axis players lurking in A+B and basically spawn-camping the new spawn area from the north. I don't think that any implementation of map restriction for the Axis on this map should immediately take effect upon the Allied capture of A+B. It could kick in a few minutes after A+B have been captured so as to allow Axis players to maneuver to the new foci of firefighting around C+D and ultimately prevent spawn-camping from an unfair direction.

Another suggestion I have is to include two spawn areas for Allies once A+B have been captured. I noticed that most of my teammates, as a result of the singular spawn location, tended to funnel down the one road that leads between C+D and just throwing their selves into the resulting Axis crossfire. I think it would improve/diversify game-play if the Allies had two spawn areas at this stage, encouraging them to take the other two roadways that lead to C+D.

Lastly, you should adjust the placement of the letters and numbers on the map grid. The map grids for other levels have their grid references centered along the sides of the boxes and not centered on the corners of the boxes. I found myself having trouble relaying grid references to the team (them listening at all is another story...)

All power to you in your future map-making endeavors! :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update to V3

changelog:

-set the respawn time to 11 sec for allies and 18 sec for germans
- added one more elite rifle and one elite assault to the allies team
-reduce the reinforcements to 280 tickets for germans and 450 for allies
-added more enviromental sounds and effects ( wind sounds ; dust ; snow flurry)

Great!

The atmosphere of this map is amazing. Can't wait to hear the added effects.

Upvote 0
Hey rekrut,

On a full server, I've never seen the Allied team win this one, Realism or Classic.

The basic problem (which was a problem with the Ostfront version as well) seems that the Allied distance from spawn to the objective is about three times as long as the Axis distance to the objective.

I'd suggest maybe breaking from the original and opening up some more paths between city blocks, giving the Allies a choice of two spawns, or perhaps moving the Axis spawn back.

At present, it's a great looking map with a lot of nostalgia... and the interior detail in places is quite nice. It's just a little too one-sided!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the maps rekrut! I really enjoy them.

I ran into somewhat of an anomaly on Odessa the other day. (Though not historically correct), I used it in a campaign server maplist. As the Germans had one the last map, they voted to attack on Odessa. I attempted to spawned as a German Squad leader. Though I had smoke, I did not have a designation of squad leader. My SL commands did not function. iirc, the command dial for SL would not come up. It was as though I had the weapons of a SL, but nothing else.

I've forgotten what the particulars were....:( I'll be sure and make note of them next time....

Upvote 0