• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Map files won't download when the redirect and workshop have files of the same name

MrRogersBestNeighbor

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2015
As the title states. Every other map works fine (at least the ones on the workshop that are not also on the redirect or have the same name as maps on the redirect). But when there are maps that have the same name in the redirect as the workshop, it won't download either version and instead lose connection/boot players out. I tried checking the wiki and following all the instructions and corrected the one problem I identified (not prioritizing the workshop by putting the workshop downloadmanager line above the redirect). Still didn't solve the issue though.
Should note, I'm not entirely sure the redirect files (that are not also on the workshop) are working correctly (I'll try readding the line and testing them out again), but when I delete the redirect download line, suddenly all the workshop files with the same name as files in the redirect work again.

Last edited:
From the way the Wiki reads, what you should be doing is forcing clients to download the workshop files from Steam.

https://wiki.killingfloor2.com/inde...loor_2)#Setting_Up_Steam_Workshop_For_Servers

Make clients download the Workshop item from Steam when connecting to the server:

This will only work for Workshop items that the server downloads itself, that are listed in the [OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.KFWorkshopSteamworks] section as described above.
  1. Make sure that the server is not running. If it is running, the Workshop setup will be overridden the next time you restart the server.
  2. Find the section [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] in the PCServer-KFEngine.ini config file.
  3. Add the line "DownloadManagers=OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.SteamWorkshopDownload" to that section. If there are other "DownloadManagers=" lines, make sure this one is the first.
  4. Do not delete anything from this section, except (optionally) other DownloadManagers= lines.

Upvote 0
Yep, and I did that. Still didn't solve the problem though :S (I originally had the "DownloadManagers=OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.SteamW orkshopDownload" at the bottom. Didn't notice the instructions saying to put it above other "Download Managers". So I thought I had the problem solved, but it still persists.
I tried even deleting the other "Download Managers" in the section (which it lists as optional) and still no luck.
Then when I delete the redirect lines altogether, suddenly those workshop map files (that have the same name as ones in the redirect), suddenly all work. Everyone is able to download them.

Upvote 0
I'm using Workshop + redirect since forever and it works properly, download from workshop for workshop items, downloads from redirect for redirect items.. you could have the whole workshop copied on your redirect, the issue is before, when the server tells the client to go grab the file there.

It will use Workshop for the installed items from workshop, and redirect for the files not installed from workshop if everything is properly setup.

The problem is probably that you may have conflicting files on the server itself, this is forbidden, as the server log file is surely telling you when you start it, AMBIGUOUS FILES BLABLA. Each file on the server MUST have unique filename, even if you put them in multiple folders, server can not tell which version you want to use if there are multiple with same name.

Upvote 0
I used to have a server with the workshop and redirect without a problem. I'll put it more specifically. As an example:
Workshop maps:
Escheresque
Greenstreet
SiloSeven
Shadowzone_remastered

Redirect Maps:
Escheresque
Greenstreet
Offlimits
GNX57

So before I was only using workshop map files. Added the workshop ID, put the maps up in the "PCServer-KFGame" file, everything worked great. But I wanted a few of the maps from Tripwire's Official Redirect (Offlimits and GNX57). Added them into the "PCServer-KFGame" file. Added the line "[IpDrv.HTTPDownload] RedirectToURL=http://kf2.tripwirecdn.com/" to the "PCServer-KFEngine" file. Moved the "DownloadManagers=OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.SteamW orkshopDownload" above the other "DownloadManagers=X" lines (thinking this would prioritize downloading from the workshop as stated in the wiki). Launched the server, people can no longer download Escheresque and Greenstreet (I did not add them twice in the "KFGame" file). All the maps that are in the workshop and redirect no longer work (SiloSeven, Shadowzone, Offlimits and GNX57 work fine).
Now, I could probably delete the workshop IDs for Escheresque and Greenstreet, but I'd rather have the most recent versions of all those maps from the workshop. I would assume it would prioritize downloading from the workshop over the redirect as it says in the wiki, but instead it won't download either, coming up with a different error seemingly each time (Could not connect to server, Not a workshop file, Duplicate UID).
If I delete the redirect line ("[IpDrv.HTTPDownload] RedirectToURL=http://kf2.tripwirecdn.com/") from the ""PCServer-KFEngine", Escheresque and Greenstreet then work (and the maps only on the redirect obviously cease to download for people on the server).
Am I missing something? Is there another way to prioritize downloading from the workshop that I missed? Or do I have to delete the workshop IDs from the "PCServer-KFEngine" and just deal with having outdated versions of those maps from the redirect? (ie Escheresque and Greenstreet).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How do I tell if the workshop is copied on the redirect? Like the "OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.KFWorkshopSteamworks]" with all the workshop IDs being in the wrong place? Do I need to insert the redirect line ([IpDrv.HTTPDownload] RedirectToURL=http://kf2.tripwirecdn.com/) in a certain place?
I don't have multiple map files, as far as I can tell. Where do I find conflicting files?
Forgive me for not being very computer literate, I'm not exactly sure where the problem would be beyond what is in the wiki.

Upvote 0
The log file, as I said, is the place to look for errors it is in KFGame/Logs/Launch.log.

I don't understand what you are asking for about the workshop copied in the redirect, which still make me think you don't really understand how it works which let me think I'm right when I'm saying you probably have things misconfigured.
You can't go wrong if you follow the WIKI in theory.

If a map is not downloading from workshop it is because of a bad configuration/conflict on the server, this has nothing to do with the content of the redirect server, if it tries to download from redirect server it is because the server says it is a redirect map not a workshop map.

So check the log file, you can send it here as a pastebin.com link (make sure to search and delete your password if it is shown there)

Upvote 0