• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Caen OutSkirts

:cool:

B2 blew up the sever upon execution twice. Checked all files sizes and the .ini
for errors. none spotted.

The server logs indicated a "File not found" error. It was fatal, and so sudden that the file name was not indicated in the message.

I just want to verify that at least one other server has successfully run the map. If someone else has run it ok, I'll assume a download error and perform a complete reinstall.

Hmmm, French Server has it running. I even played a round last night with bots.

Upvote 0
Suggestion if I may.... I would either A) change the trench material to blend in with the terrain or B) change the terrain material to blend in with the trench system. Right now it feel as they were just dropped in there. blending them would make it look more natural and part of the environment . Other than that great job on the map, looks real good.

Very good point, Thanks Wolverine!

Upvote 0
Better just making a dirt texture on the ground outlining the trenches. When you dig anywhere inland you find dirt. No matter what's on the surface.

Yeah, the snag with this maps textures is that they are all contained in an external package which is part of the root mod files. So changing it would require an update to the actual mod or repainting the terrain with locally saved Terrain Layers. This was why I couldnt fix that grass bloom yet. I tried several times to copy the Terrain Layer Set up from the WF files to the map but it crashed the SDK EVERY TIME!:mad:

Will get it fixed one way or another in the next update. I still fee like it could use more detail and cover as well.

Upvote 0
One suggestion for the map, use the wheat field meshes from Te-Ogledow, to provide some actual cover to the map, as is both actual cover, and visual cover is non-existent.

The attackers actually have some very good places to set up for covering Fire on this map.

Not visual cover or actual cover. But cover by bullets. The defenders wouod need some very good marksmen on this map.

Not to mention it's hilarious rolling up in a half track. Drive it onto the trenches, all leap out and suddenly there's 8 germans in the trenches. Hardest objective currently is F. But even then it's not that hard compared some objectives in this game. Good flanking zones on the left and if the attackers gain fire superiority the field is good to cross.

I cross open ground all the time in this game. Running fully upright. Becuase the rest of my team is doing a good job at keeping the enemies heads down. I get in the cap kill everyone and then yell at my team saying they are being usless so they run up and join me. And they do while they also abuse me back but a little insubordination doesn't matter when we have won. Many attacking teams are good at keeping the defenders heads down. But with some it seems like the only thing they are good at.

Upvote 0
From last night's game I'd say the main glaring issue atm (that is obvious at least) would be the fact Americans can shoot directly into the German's first spawn point. For most of the match someone with a sniper rifle kept going out just beyond the field to the left of the German spawn area and capping people a second after they popped into existence. Since the Germans pop on the road itself perhaps there could be either a wall or just lots of trees and bushes covering the spawn point, or both possibly.

There were some issues with B and C but the map needs more players to be able to tell what would be best. That and teams that don't seem to stack American.

Upvote 0
A dip in the terrain is all that is necessary. A few bushes maybe.

The lack of autobalance on the server also screwed it up.

Upping the axis tickets to 400 Is also necessary. Axis take high casualties on the first stage. With the 35 minute time limit and the current tickets the germans have to lose less than 10 tickets a minute to stay in the game. For the allies it isnt hard but for the attacking germans it is.

A tank for the germans would be good as well lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A dip in the terrain is all that is necessary. A few bushes maybe.

The lack of autobalance on the server also screwed it up.

Upping the axis tickets to 400 Is also necessary. Axis take high casualties on the first stage. With the 35 minute time limit and the current tickets the germans have to lose less than 10 tickets a minute to stay in the game. For the allies it isnt hard but for the attacking germans it is.

A tank for the germans would be good as well lol.

OK, good info here guys thanks.

A Tank and a Transport though??

Upvote 0
OK, good info here guys thanks.

A Tank and a Transport though??

The transport is only good for getting a bunch of dudes Into the cap. Most of the time we tried that with a Full halftrack we all got slaughtered lol. Though it's very useful in the last stage with the trenches. Leap out of the halftrack into the trenches. Instead of leaping out into bullets.

It can not provide effective fire however. In urban areas it's easily taken out. A Nade dropped in from a window for example or even just someone opening up on it. And when AT weapons come into play who knows how it will work out.

A tank would help quite a bit.

It was also a bunch of panzer divisions that defended Caen. Panzer SS and the panzer Lehr. We actually got a dedicated Panzer grenadier uniform too. Would look good for the germans.

Recon and artillery artilery would be good on a map that size. Medium/large map with only mortars lol.

Upvote 0
I'll agree with Lemon on a tank, but I think I talked with you in PMs saying that I was unsure of commenting on that stuff until the mod got anti-tank weapons. A Pz-IV would help a lot with fire support on the map. Until anti-tank weapons are added putting tanks on maps can swing the balance a LONG way.

Again though it depends, with the map being in Caen, if the US troops are swapped out with British ones at some point.

If there is a play session on a server with more people then there can be more feedback on what may need fixing on the first set of caps. A being only capable once made a HUGE difference for the better.

Upvote 0
While I did have a small PM feast with Nymets, may as well make this public so other people can tell in detail about how I am a giant idiot.

The Euro session tonight highlighted a few issues with Caen. Again there were problems with the first set of caps. A was an interesting short fight, but not really an issue. B seems fine to cap, but then when it comes to trying to cap C it requires almost all the German forces to pile into the area. This may be due to how exposed the area is with the surrounding bushes hiding lots of American troops as well as the overlooking houses further back. I would suggest having cap C like cap A being locked once captured to stop the roundabout of constant capping and loosing of points. B however can remain the same as, with an appropriate push, is quite an easy point to cap with effort.

On the German spawn area I was wondering, due to it being farmland, if the Germans could spawn into a barn? This would A) provide good cover for the Germans spawning in rather than being out in the open and B) give the Germans a small overlook at the start of the map to counter the fact the Americans can hide in houses overlooking the cap points. Even if this seems a bit off, the trees and hills separating the cap from B and C will possibly negate people getting too good a view over C. It would also mean if someone is to hide in the tree-line by the river and tried sniping the Germans coming out of the spawn there would be a counter point for the Axis to use.

The past Euro game made me realise that the map, in the early stages at least, reminds me of Otorishima. The difference being the visibility is far better and Germans don't get the magical banzai attack.

Upvote 0
A tank would solve the problem of the defenders hiding in the buildings at the back.

More powerful artillery and recon would help as well.

I would also move that destroyed panzer that's in front of C to in C and put it on an angle. Something for people to hide behind on both sides. Attackers just go to clear it then use it to hide from those in the buildings. But yes the americans can get very good hiding spots in the bushes between C and B. The way the objective works should stay the same. C and B are close to each other.

Upvote 0
I don't see any negative to locking C cap when taken and then letting the bridge be where the first line is decided. I know Shepard originally wanted this map to reflect the MOW:AS2 Map but the lack of cover is glaringly apparent so I think we def need something around the German spawn.

I will however move that tank near B like you said and Probably add a barn or two near the spawn along with some more cover. As well as arty...recon..maybe but I always have so many problems with the matinee :mad:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm thinking about when the server is full here. The distance between B and C is rather small. So on a full server they would be capped shortly after each other anyway.

You don't want to "overbalance" a map. It gives some incentive for the defenders to counter attack having C re-cappable.

But yes men of war assault squad 2 doesn't have long range combat lol. Even with realism mods that change ranges the local AI of the infantry don't automatically fire at those ranges unless ordered too or fired at.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about when the server is full here. The distance between B and C is rather small. So on a full server they would be capped shortly after each other anyway.

You don't want to "overbalance" a map. It gives some incentive for the defenders to counter attack having C re-cappable.

But yes men of war assault squad 2 doesn't have long range combat lol. Even with realism mods that change ranges the local AI of the infantry don't automatically fire at those ranges unless ordered too or fired at.

I agree, I am always leery of tipping the scales of the map drastically the other way (Hence my apprehension in adding a tank to the axis), but there were 30 players on the server today when they were having problems taking B and C.

Upvote 0