• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Manual Or Automatic ?

Manual Or Automatic ?

• Manual

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
Manual or Automatic ?

Simple question for the drivers.

On my end, I am on my 7th car I think.

1992 civic cx hatch - 1 year - best first car ever.

1998 civic dx coupe - 8 months - (accident) exchanged for

1995 accord lx 2 drs automatic
- 3 months, sold because it's automatic

1992 golf gti - 8 months - worst purchase ever, never had a car with so many issues, I blame previous owner

2002 Elantra GT - 6 years. - very underrated car, absolutely loved it.

2000 Civic SIR Rebuilt, 1 year - Rebuilt by previous owner with dx engine, car sucked, I got it rebuilt with B20Z of CRV with integra tranny)

Present
2001 VW Jetta TDI - Automatic 1 year now.

I regret getting an automatic, I should have remembered that last time, I got desperate to sell to get something manual.

The TDI isn't so bad, but I am thinking of keeping it as second car and to give it to my girlfriend who will soon drive.

I am buying myself a 1991 Jetta TD - MANUAL
Very little rust (rare in Quebec), both seat warmers work, sunroof, 2 sets of mags, working AC... It looks like it's in better shape then my MK4

And the MK2's are very very rare here so... I am really loving the idea of owning one of those rare jems.

Automatic = a piece of me dying.

Feel free to talk about your car experiences !

Last edited:
I don't really care that much either way. In general manual is more fun, there's no doubt about that, but in heavy traffic it's just a pain in the arse compared to automatic.

I'm on my 3rd car, previous 2 were manuals, current one is automatic. Whenever I'll switch to the next, I wont be looking for a specific transmission type.

Upvote 0
Always go for manual. If you know what you're doing, you're both quicker and more fuel efficient with one than with an auto.
This exactly !

My friend has the same year VW TDI as myself, same ALH 1.9T engine.
She has a manual and I have an automatic.

She does minimum 700km to 850km city and 1100km on pure highway.

I do minimum 530km pure city, average of 630 mixed driving.
I did Montreal to Main to Boston with less then one tank of gas, my record is 900km of pure highway.

All in all, I spend much more gas just out of the transmission.

On top of things, my car has no check engine light on, her car has cel with turbo issues.

I also like manual much better in traffic !
Feels better to balance clutch and gas/brake then to only have the right foot going brake to gas... my ankle hurt after more then 2 hours of traffic in automatic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely agree with this ^^ fuel consumption is terrible compared to manual but I suppose it depends on how much you drive, how ,long you drive for etc.

If you are doing lots of motorway driving, I suppose Auto would be the best choice
Where I live, an auto wouldn't last six months because of the amount of hills and until they finally create an auto with smooth gear change, I would never entertain having one.
I have had a couple of autos in my life and hated them. The slippy gear change was excruciating, although the kick down was fun.

For pure control, go manual.

Upvote 0
Manual.

First and only car so far...

Inherited nice 1980-something RAM truck from uncle.
Sick of using Breathalyzer to start truck.
Take truck to shop in middle of nowhere to remove Breathalyzer.
Return 4 days later, everything is gone shop abandoned.

****ing hate chop shops! A friend of mine spent 50,000 on restoring an El dorado just so the paint and panels could steal the car and sell it out as parts.

On a related note: BE A MAN! PICK A MANUEL. You got a left leg for a reason ;)

Upvote 0
BE A MAN! PICK A MANUEL.

homer-facepalm.jpg

Upvote 0
After looking it over on wiki... I have to agree... stupid technically ignorant question on my part...
(Thank you for making me realize it and looking it up)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

is an electronically controlled dual-clutch[2] multiple-shaft manual gearbox, in a transaxle design – without a conventional clutch pedal,[4] and with full automatic,[2] or semi-manual control.
I was mostly teasing because I am pro conventional clutch pedal and anti automatic/tiptronic or whatever else can do the job automatically.

I will agree that automatic transmissions have gone a long way in terms of smoothness and fuel efficiency. (Nissan's CVVT's, VW/Porsch DSG)

I have driven the Acura TL, and Acura CSX, both with tiptronic automatic trannies, the CSX with the flappy things on the steering wheel and I really hate it. I rather have it stuck on automatic then to have a fake manual.

That is all strictly a matter of taste, no disrespect intended.

Last edited:
Upvote 0