• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Manual Or Automatic ?

Manual Or Automatic ?

• Manual

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

PermenentMarker

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2006
Montreal Quebec
www.coolit-online.com
Manual or Automatic ?

Simple question for the drivers.

On my end, I am on my 7th car I think.

1992 civic cx hatch - 1 year - best first car ever.

1998 civic dx coupe - 8 months - (accident) exchanged for

1995 accord lx 2 drs automatic
- 3 months, sold because it's automatic

1992 golf gti - 8 months - worst purchase ever, never had a car with so many issues, I blame previous owner

2002 Elantra GT - 6 years. - very underrated car, absolutely loved it.

2000 Civic SIR Rebuilt, 1 year - Rebuilt by previous owner with dx engine, car sucked, I got it rebuilt with B20Z of CRV with integra tranny)

Present
2001 VW Jetta TDI - Automatic 1 year now.

I regret getting an automatic, I should have remembered that last time, I got desperate to sell to get something manual.

The TDI isn't so bad, but I am thinking of keeping it as second car and to give it to my girlfriend who will soon drive.

I am buying myself a 1991 Jetta TD - MANUAL
Very little rust (rare in Quebec), both seat warmers work, sunroof, 2 sets of mags, working AC... It looks like it's in better shape then my MK4

And the MK2's are very very rare here so... I am really loving the idea of owning one of those rare jems.

Automatic = a piece of me dying.

Feel free to talk about your car experiences !

Last edited:

Pectus

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 23, 2010
Finland
I don't really care that much either way. In general manual is more fun, there's no doubt about that, but in heavy traffic it's just a pain in the arse compared to automatic.

I'm on my 3rd car, previous 2 were manuals, current one is automatic. Whenever I'll switch to the next, I wont be looking for a specific transmission type.

PermenentMarker

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2006
Montreal Quebec
www.coolit-online.com
Always go for manual. If you know what you're doing, you're both quicker and more fuel efficient with one than with an auto.
This exactly !

My friend has the same year VW TDI as myself, same ALH 1.9T engine.
She has a manual and I have an automatic.

She does minimum 700km to 850km city and 1100km on pure highway.

I do minimum 530km pure city, average of 630 mixed driving.
I did Montreal to Main to Boston with less then one tank of gas, my record is 900km of pure highway.

All in all, I spend much more gas just out of the transmission.

On top of things, my car has no check engine light on, her car has cel with turbo issues.

I also like manual much better in traffic !
Feels better to balance clutch and gas/brake then to only have the right foot going brake to gas... my ankle hurt after more then 2 hours of traffic in automatic.

Last edited:

braindead

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 22, 2009
Merry Ol' England
Definitely agree with this ^^ fuel consumption is terrible compared to manual but I suppose it depends on how much you drive, how ,long you drive for etc.

If you are doing lots of motorway driving, I suppose Auto would be the best choice
Where I live, an auto wouldn't last six months because of the amount of hills and until they finally create an auto with smooth gear change, I would never entertain having one.
I have had a couple of autos in my life and hated them. The slippy gear change was excruciating, although the kick down was fun.

For pure control, go manual.

Fedorov

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 8, 2005
My automatic doesn't change gears... its a Prius.

Now, let the hate commence.

Krobar

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 11, 2011
The sewers of Leningrad.
Manual.

First and only car so far...

Inherited nice 1980-something RAM truck from uncle.
Sick of using Breathalyzer to start truck.
Take truck to shop in middle of nowhere to remove Breathalyzer.
Return 4 days later, everything is gone shop abandoned.

Grabbed_by_the_Spetsnaz

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 29, 2011
New Zealand
Manual.

First and only car so far...

Inherited nice 1980-something RAM truck from uncle.
Sick of using Breathalyzer to start truck.
Take truck to shop in middle of nowhere to remove Breathalyzer.
Return 4 days later, everything is gone shop abandoned.
****ing hate chop shops! A friend of mine spent 50,000 on restoring an El dorado just so the paint and panels could steal the car and sell it out as parts.

On a related note: BE A MAN! PICK A MANUEL. You got a left leg for a reason ;)

Gudenrath

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 23, 2011
This is a question only an American could pose (and you would even find a bunch of Americans shaking their heads at it).

PermenentMarker

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2006
Montreal Quebec
www.coolit-online.com
After looking it over on wiki... I have to agree... stupid technically ignorant question on my part...
(Thank you for making me realize it and looking it up)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

is an electronically controlled dual-clutch[2] multiple-shaft manual gearbox, in a transaxle design – without a conventional clutch pedal,[4] and with full automatic,[2] or semi-manual control.
I was mostly teasing because I am pro conventional clutch pedal and anti automatic/tiptronic or whatever else can do the job automatically.

I will agree that automatic transmissions have gone a long way in terms of smoothness and fuel efficiency. (Nissan's CVVT's, VW/Porsch DSG)

I have driven the Acura TL, and Acura CSX, both with tiptronic automatic trannies, the CSX with the flappy things on the steering wheel and I really hate it. I rather have it stuck on automatic then to have a fake manual.

That is all strictly a matter of taste, no disrespect intended.

Last edited: