• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mamayev Appreciation Thread.

Just a thread to post your feelings on the balance gameplay of the map, also post your epic pictures here too! ^__^ I'll start off.

The map is great, lots of cover, soo many trenches, bunkers and tunnels. You can try to pixelshoot with your rifle or be a tunnel rat with SMGs. There are some different versions of the map's objective layout but the one I LOVED the most was where the center bunkers where a open objective to both teams and who ever capped it first got to be the attacking team.

Great map, great balance, large, open, RO:OST feelings are tingling in.

Here are some videos by MeFirst:

Mamayev Beta - Sniper Gameplay
Mamayev Beta - Commander Gameplay
Mamayev Beta - MG Gameplay

Attaching some epic screenshots of my team taking the central hill :3 :IS2: :IS2:

Attachments

• 2012-02-27_00007.jpg
    2012-02-27_00007.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-02-27_00009.jpg
    2012-02-27_00009.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-02-27_00010.jpg
    2012-02-27_00010.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-02-27_00011.jpg
    2012-02-27_00011.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-02-27_00019.jpg
    2012-02-27_00019.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: echutter
Not to be a downer, but at this point isnt objective praise/criticism more useful than appreciation?

perhaps we should be highlighting pros/cons about the map so that they're properly fixed before being officially released.

Unless of course it truly is a perfect map; I havent played it yet so i dont know :p

Well this is more of a "share your story and opinion" kind of thread if you have any feedback on the map or anyway you'd think it can be improved post here

Upvote 0
It's a good map. One of the better ones at least. It could wind up going one of two ways: it could wind up being a snipe fest, or it could wind up maybe playing like a larger somewhat slower version of LyesKrovy.

The good thing about the sniping on it, as compared to a REAL snipe-fest like Fallen Fighters, there's nowhere really elevated above the rest of the field to that same extent. There are places to camp as a sniper or mg but the cover is pretty adequate too, so it feels about right in that respect. Taking zoom away from regular riflemen will be good for this map IMO when RO_Classic comes out.

Overall thumbs up.

Reactions: toxic-sky
Upvote 0
Played a few rounds of territory on it as well as firefight. Managed to play some countdown and territory on Commisars as well before the connection to the server host timed out on a map change and I decided to call it a night. Overall, it was a very positive experience. The squad leader spawning seems to have improved however I need more time to test that, but Mamayev gave me plenty of Ost moments. I recall being prone with an mp40 and getting a nice snipe on a guy who was 160m or so away, took bursts and about half a clip combined with me prone crawling around and popping up from different areas to avoid his rifle fire and detection from his friends... Unlike gameplay I usually find in RO2, running around dodging bullets and trying to react faster then the other guy didn't work at all.

Now I'm not saying that's all I did on stock maps but you could easily get away with it, point is on Mamayev you really can't anymore. I'd also like to add that on Commissars, I really felt the difference the tweaks to supression made. I actually heard bullet cracks more often, alot more often, and the constant cracks combined with that small white flash you get when a bullet whizzes by, really caused me to be more careful. I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the beta so far, as I was expecting something horrible. Sorry for the mini rant but this beta, and this map, are proving to be quite nice and with some more work, polish, and improvements I'm sure many will come to love it.

Upvote 0
smokey approves
75BC9CA9EAADB43C9AB9EFF797D176C558A60EDB

Upvote 0
Why winter?

Why winter?

Played three rounds of Territory and one round of Firefight on Mamayev Kurgan today... TONS of fun. It's truly a great attack-defend map in the Ostfront style. The trenches and open areas are perfectly complementary--the SMGs can sweep the bunkers and fortifications, the MGs cover the open ground with the bolts.

Got the blindfire achievement (in the beta, unfortunately) on no less than Ramm-Jaeger himself. Stuck my PPSh out from behind a bend in the trench and let loose a loooong burst.:D

Lethality at long range is still very high, but will hopefully change after Classic sway and zoom is implemented. Some of the shots you can currently pull off with a mere second of aim would go down in the record books.

Some issues with map boundaries in Firefight, from what people were saying. Obvious textures missing, of course, and the bunker looks iffy, but it's a work in progress. Plays great--plenty of FPS.

The middle screenshots shows a sort of larger ammo dump... maybe for tanks later? :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honestly, my one issue with the map is that it's set during the winter. I realize that this is a time-consuming thing to change at this stage in development, but it irks me that with all the winter maps we already have, the iconic struggle for Mamayev Kurgan is now just a counterattack by weakened, surrounded Germans against the Russian lines. (The Germans are undoubtably surrounded, because pre-encirclement, no snow would be present on Mamayev Kurgan because of the constant heat of bombs, artillery, rockets, and fires).

The problem with the encirclement maps is that I feel like the issue is already decided. One already knows that the Russians will crush the Kessel, if not tomorrow, then the next day. If not the next day, then in the next week. I want to feel like the entire war hinges on the struggle for the great hill. There is a certain poetry in the Germans' struggle to endure, their faint hope for relief... but it's not the proper poetry for that shell-blasted height.

I realize it's not my game or map to make, and I realize that a modder can, eventually, make a fall version... but to some degree, RO2 is a tribute to the Battle of Stalingrad, the most brutal battle in human history and the decisive battle of the European War. I just think that setting the OFFICIAL map pre-encirclement, during an uneasy night at the height of the battle, does it proper justice.:IS2:

With Commissar's House, Fallen Fighters, and Red October, three iconic locations in Stalingrad, already shown after the height of the battle (in addition to Gumrak), I'm just a little sad that Mamayev Kurgan, the high ground over Stalingrad, against which so many divisions were thrown and shattered, is asleep beneath the ice. :(

I mean, in opposition to the Red October Factory, the Barrikady Gun Factory, the Univermag, and now Mamayev Kurgan all depicted post-Operation-Uran, the only iconic locations we fight over in-game during the summer and fall are the Grain Elevator, Station, and Pavlov's House (the first two are beautifully done :IS2:; the last unfortunately loses a lot of it's power because of the 'symmetrical' nature of the map).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The night setting, however, while incredulous as far as 400m shots go, is rather suitable given the pace of combat. With 64 players on such a large map, the firefights don't quite feel like a full daytime attack. The 'night raid in force' feeling you get from the German attack is great, and explains why artillery isn't pouring down nearly constantly. If set during the fall, the map would feel as though the Germans were pushing up with several companies in a surprise night raid, seeking to establish a foothold upon which to launch a full attack the following day.:IS2:

Overall, the map is absolutely gorgeous, beautiful. I saw one detail that stood out to me--a T34, still blazing, nestled up against the wrecked Panzer IV it rammed from the side in a death embrace. Genius art/level design. Poignant, and perfect.

I just hope someone fixes the snow. :)

Attachments

• 2012-02-27_00001.jpg
    2012-02-27_00001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-02-27_00002.jpg
    2012-02-27_00002.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-02-28_00001.jpg
    2012-02-28_00001.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: