• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound making wep sounds distant

Nestor Makhno

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006
Penryn, Cornwall
Question for anybody, tho xancerman's input would be highly appreciated.

I have some good sounds that i am going to use for various weps in carpathian crosses - now I notice that each sound is a group consisiting of one close and one distant version of each sound.

I have started by dropping the gain in the 5khz frequency to make the basic close-up sound seem more distant - what else do I need to do?

directly from me and Nestors e-mail conversation, to clear it out with the rest of you:

generally for the near/distant sound, use totally different sounds, its hard to transform a near to a distant sound without MASSIVE editing, if you are unable to generally make it more dynamic, and less in your face compressed, the attack of the sound should be relatively sharp, but the tail should be very dynamic in comparison. generally, they should both have the same sound level.. i know its hard to get it both dynamic and loud, but thats how the system is set up, its a real pain.. i know ;D i had to deal with it aswell

the system is set up like this

sound folder

group 1

sound1

distantsound1

group2

sound2

distantsound2

group3

sound3

distantsound3

this is because you set the parameters in the propertys of the soundgroup, telling the engine where to switch between near and distant, the soundgroup propertys also tells the engine if the soundgroup should act as a normal soundgroup (just randomizing the sounds assigned in it)

Upvote 0