• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Make the "Patriarch Wave" more obvious - I miss it

SpurryMoses

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'm hardly ever realizing that the last wave is up. And I'm left with useless weaponry before realising (too late) that this is the "Patriarch Wave".

Sometimes the trader says "this time, get the big ones" or something, but not always.

I don't have a great suggestion but I'd love a screen warning "Last Wave" or "Get ready for the Patriarch" or a more subtle reference - but please don't let me forget.

This happens to me all the time - "oh ****, it's the patriarch, perhaps these dual handcannons I bought were not the best choice after all"...

I'm hardly ever realizing that the last wave is up. And I'm left with useless weaponry before realising (too late) that this is the "Patriarch Wave".

Sometimes the trader says "this time, get the big ones" or something, but not always.

I don't have a great suggestion but I'd love a screen warning "Last Wave" or "Get ready for the Patriarch" or a more subtle reference - but please don't let me forget.

This happens to me all the time - "oh ****, it's the patriarch, perhaps these dual handcannons I bought were not the best choice after all"...

"This is your last chance, something big is coming"

-This is the last wave, prepare for the patriarch in chat etc

Don't know how much more obvious you need it to be really, i'll admit i've missed it a couple of times but thats your problem not the games, it can't get anymore obvious without holding your hand to the weaponstore and having a big cardboard cut out of him stood there with a 'Big gun sale' over his head.

Geez, i guess companys really do need to make simple games nowadays, apparently people need information spoonfed to them now..

Upvote 0
Currently, the game shows the last wave as 5/4, 8/7, or 11/10 on the upper right counter. I figured it out the first time I saw it, but I can see how that could be confusing to a new player who's seeing it for the first time since they could assume that the counter is glitching up or something.

Even after seeing it several times and knowing what it means, though... It still feels odd having the numbers show up like that. Perhaps that round could be shown as Last Round instead of n+1/n like it does currently?

Upvote 0
Currently, the game shows the last wave as 5/4, 8/7, or 11/10 on the upper right counter. I figured it out the first time I saw it, but I can see how that could be confusing to a new player who's seeing it for the first time since they could assume that the counter is glitching up or something.

Even after seeing it several times and knowing what it means, though... It still feels odd having the numbers show up like that. Perhaps that round could be shown as Last Round instead of n+1/n like it does currently?

how about we just remove the counter and stick some text in the top right corner that says "...oh ****"

Upvote 0
"This is your last chance, something big is coming"
Someone saying this esoteric sentence makes it obvious that a humungous patriarch who needs to be shot 1000 times is about to blast you away before becoming invisible, healing himself and then coming back for more?

It needs to be just obvious enough so that no player misses it.
Clearly, almost everyone here does miss it.
If no one can see a road sign, you fix the sign, you don't tell all the drivers they're idiots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You people creep me out, how can you miss it?
The wave counter helps you figure out what is going to spawn. If i join on wave 5 of ten, I know we'll have scrakes - if wave six, fleshpounders, so I won't bother getting the weak shotgun >.>..
Jesus. Never missed it once.

There's a weak shotgun in this game? I thought there was only the good one and the godly one...

Upvote 0