• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Makarov Pistol Video

Here's a quick video I made when I took my Makarov out to the range this past weekend.

I had ordered some ammo online and it turned out it was a type of ammo that's only allowed in outdoor ranges (Steel casing, steel bullet case, but it's not steel core).

I'm currently up in Oklahoma City for air traffic control training, so my range options are kind of limited. There's only one outdoor range around here, and it's out in the boonies. I shot there a few weeks back with some friends; we were driving around through farmland for a while before we found it. It literally has no address - only directions on how to get there. They're not quite of the "Make a right where the old barn used to be, keep driving a mile and a half, and make a left on the dirt road by the sign with the gun on it." variety but pretty darn close to it. In fact, you can substitute "schoolhouse" for "old barn" and you've got it.

Anyways, I went back there Sunday with my trusty Makarov and videoed the gun and targets from different angles while I shot. Here's the result:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PGjtMyB4qq0

Hint: when the slide locks back, the gun is empty LOL.

I noticed you flinch on an empty. If you can control your flinching you could tighten your groups even more.

I do it myself sometimes. One of the hardest things to learn when first shooting is to not anticipate the recoil.

Dry fire practice is your friend.

I had the same grips on my Bulgie and found the original red bakelite grips to have a better feel. I also tried one of the thicker aftermarket rubber grips but did not like it.

Upvote 0
Hint: when the slide locks back, the gun is empty LOL.

Hehe, yeah, every once in a while I get so fixated on the target that I don't realize that the slide's locked back.

I was admittedly a little sloppy with the shooting, since I was more interested in making sure the gun was in the camera frame than in actually, you know, hitting the target. :p

One thing I love about this gun is that every single time I've taken out, the first shot is always a dead-center bullseye. That includes the first round I ever chambered in it. It's all downhill after that though, LOL.

Upvote 0
Hehe, yeah, every once in a while I get so fixated on the target that I don't realize that the slide's locked back.

I was admittedly a little sloppy with the shooting, since I was more interested in making sure the gun was in the camera frame than in actually, you know, hitting the target. :p

One thing I love about this gun is that every single time I've taken out, the first shot is always a dead-center bullseye. That includes the first round I ever chambered in it. It's all downhill after that though, LOL.

1st shot is always supposed to be the kill shot.

Upvote 0
Nice shooting. That pistol looks like a Walther PPK.

As the Tokarev pistol was a copied and simplified 1911 - the russians again stole a successful western design for their next service pistol.

They wanted to go double action to carry a round chambered safely, the Walther PP was the best thing going in those terms at the time.

The rest of the story you can probably guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You don't seem to remember the harshness of straight blowback recoil from the last session - on your first shot. After that you remember and anticipate it.

Dry firing helps...

.22lr pistols work better at helping you to develop better habits.
Browning Buckmark has a beautiful trigger, Ruger's are decent too.

EDIT: Hey if your located in Miami, I'm in Broward and if you want to get together and run some guns together, I'm getting rusty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0