• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Major UT3 update coming

Interface hasn't changed a huge deal but its workable.

Server browser seems more robust and less buggy.

Played much warefare mode today and it reminded me a lot of the good old ut2k4 version.

One of the maps "floodgate" litterally had my chin on the floor it was so pretty. The game deserved a singleplayer proper with some of the enviroments they dreamed up but nm.

Not sure what the new features exactly are but it seems to be ok to me.

Upvote 0
I really like the features and maps I've tried so far, but for some reason my frame rate seems to be extremely erratic with this version. Anyone else getting the issue? I have the latest drivers, and the game ran better before the patch. Any suggestions? Could the .ini have something to do with it?

I haven't posted on the epic forums probably because they would most likely lock my thread for the hell of it.

Upvote 0
I really like the features and maps I've tried so far, but for some reason my frame rate seems to be extremely erratic with this version. Anyone else getting the issue? I have the latest drivers, and the game ran better before the patch. Any suggestions? Could the .ini have something to do with it?

I haven't posted on the epic forums probably because they would most likely lock my thread for the hell of it.
Yep!
Jittery.
Always at max (62 !) but jittery.
Latest drivers/8800gt.
Will twiddle about later...

Upvote 0
What is the interface like? Does it still suck?

Yup, still sucks, as it is the same UI it allways was.

It is slightly less annoying though, as they have tweaked a few things, it has a new black skin which is nicer to look at, some redundant "press any key to continue" screens where done away with, you can actually see the map in the background of the main menu now (why they would put a 60mb map in the main menu, which you have to load constantly, is beyond me! but atleast you can see it now, so the 60mb aren't entirely wasted like before), there's actually usefull setting in the advanced vid-settings menu now instead of 3 sliders, the server browser has had some tweaks make it more reliable, and the Instant-Action menu now remembers its settings.

Thats pretty much it, the UI seems more polished now, and some annoyances have been delt with, but it is still the same fundamentally flawed UI it allways was, it still flows and opperates the exact same way, it still takes too many clicks to get anywhere, it still has too few options per screen and huge text (good on them tharr consoly machines i hear! yup), and it is still sorely lacking a whole bunch of options that we knew and loved from UT and UT2004 (especially when it comes to instant-action, which has not been touched on at all, except for the menu's now saving you selected options).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah the interface still sucks ***. Just a re-skin and a few changes is not enough. The game play is what is important though, at least that is what i believed before i played Quake Live.

I like deathmatch and not so keen on the other game modes. Playing Quake has brought home to me just how much UT3 is flawed in respect to this. The mouse aim is not as quick and precise as the Quake engine and i also find the movement clunky and slow. The overdone bloom and detail effects make the enviroments and player models blend into each other, so its hard to see enemies when turning around at high speeds.

I am going to relive 9GB of hard drive space and the box is going back up in the loft.

Upvote 0