• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Magazine check animation

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
If you pick up weapon you dont know nothing about magazines. Sometimes you pick up weapon with no ammo, to prevent to be easy killed you just reload it but if previous owner reloaded weapon too often you dont know that magazine is not full or close to be empty.

Also machine guns, there should be animation to check lenght of ammo belt. I mean no number of bullets just check by gunners eyes.

In conclusion how it could be: You picked up smg from ground, you are in safe position and you have time to check magazine. So you dismounting magazine and look inside to check if some ammo is here. Than you load magazine back.

there is a magazine check animation for weapons that use magazines.

Atleast you can pull out the mag and feel wether its light medium or heavy and then put it in again, without doing a full reload. You cannot look inside the magazine as the spring makes sure that the bullets stay on top, to actually see the ammunition amount you would probably have to remove all bullets and count them (making weighting it a bit easier). Although on the russian DP machinegun you could actually see the ammo ammount.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there is a magazine check animation for weapons that use magazines.

Atleast you can pull out the mag and feel wether its light medium or heavy and then put it in again, without doing a full reload. You cannot look inside the magazine as the spring makes sure that the bullets stay on top, to actually see the ammunition amount you would probably have to remove all bullets and count them (making weighting it a bit easier). Although on the russian DP machinegun you could actually see the ammo ammount.

OK i know that you dont be able to see all bullets inside but I am sure that you can see first 3-5 rounds, its better to know that magazine is not empty.

Is that check you telling currently in game?

And yes something like weight check should be nice.

Upvote 0
Thing is, unless it has a round counter/marker, you won't be able to tell. For example, Glock magazines have holes in the back where you can count the rounds.

Can't say the same for AKs, and many other guns. Probably most magazines do not have a round counter.

If not, it would be really stupid to look at it. You won't be able to tell the difference between 4 and 800 rounds in a magazine by looking at the top.

Having text say 'Magazine is Heavy/Light' is the quickest way to let the player know the approximate amount rounds left in the magazine.

And most logical... at least with AK steel mags, Promag crap, and AR-15 Pmags.

Quick, easy, and no extra animations.

As for picking up a gun, I reload it. You automatically choose the magazine with the most ammo in it... and it tells you if it is heavy or not. Takes the same amount of time and is the most logical solution.

Upvote 0
The system was slightly different unlike a reload you can remove the mag from your gun weight it and put the same mag back. Rather than insert a new one.

True, but in terms of gameplay, what difference does it make? If it feels empty, you might as well reload anyways.

I am assuming it automatically switches you to the next magazine with the most rounds in it... like in RO OST and SWAT 4.

Now, if it didn't automatically choose the mag with the most rounds in it, that would make sense. And it would be more realistic to.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I really like it when games don't magically top off the magazines. Forces the player to manage ammo wisely.

But yeah, this feature will be in, just not in the way you described in the first post. Magazines don't work in that way.

I also hope that you can insert single cartridges into a partly-empty bolt-action rifle. I don't know if that was commonly done, but if I were a soldier in WWII I would definitely keep a handful of single cartridges in my pocket.

Upvote 0
But if I were a soldier in WWII, I would have topped off my rifles magazine from a stripper clip. Which, I argue, is in generally faster than use single cartridges to top off the magazine.

Not really.

If you have 4 rounds left in your bolt's magazine, it would be much quicker to insert a single cartridge rather than extracting all 4 rounds and then inserting a full stripper clip. Or do you mean stripping one round off of a full stripper clip?

Upvote 0
How did DP magazine show the ammo count?

Well, I think the ammo count could be concluded from the postion of the magazine spring "pull ring". Please, refresh my memory. :)

Yep its that ring, when that ring moved 360 degrees and ends at the rear sights its empty. When the magazine is empty it will always end in the same location (even when you fitted a half empty mag) as there is only one way to fit the mag (see picture http://media.photobucket.com/image/dp28%20magazine/Jame78/2868036.jpg).

YouTube - Russian DP-28 Light Machine Gun
YouTube - Russian DPM Light Machine Gun

the release mechanism for the pan mag is pretty interesting as well as you do it by pulling back the rearsight (there is a DPM disassembly showing that, should be the same for the dp28).YouTube - Russian DPM Machine Gun in detail

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The mg34 drum afaik is just a rolled up ammo belt in a drum:

http://www.shoporiental.com/Images/Picproduct/Guns/mg34_1.jpg

(this picture of a 1/6th scale model but it shows it pretty well)

Aka there is nothing that would move on the drum, that could be used as an indicator.
Although even when attached to the gun perhaps you could lift the lid off the ammodrum and thus peek at the inside.

Edit: I found out that you cannot open the lid of the drum when its attached to the weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking at the belt would probably work pretty nicely indeed. Would be really cool if that could somehow be implemented ingame, as realistic ways to guess ammo. (Aka then MG's you can see ammo amount, Smg's and semis you can feel ammo amount, and for rifles you can keep count for those 5 bullets)

And i just watched a youtube video of a drum being attached and the lid is one of the points where the drum is actually connected to the weapon. So you cannot open the lid when firing from a drum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the MG34 drum you cannot just remove it to feel the weight. As attaching and detaching that thing takes a lot longer than with a regular magazine as the belt will still be connected to the mg otherwise. If you could look at the beltfeed length then that could give you an indication a lot quicker and easier. Especially as the MG34 drum only contains about 50 bullets making the feed not that long, and from the length you will be able to judge how much you have left after a while.

For topping off you would need different sets of animations. But a lot from the animation could be reused for the others. I think the main issue would be wether or not having those 5 anims becomes a performance hog.

Thats why different systems could be ok as well, like bolting the remaining bullets out of the gun, or using the trapdoor to remove the remaining bullets. And then loading a complete clip again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0