• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Machine Gun tactics.

be sure to check this out:

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=5972341251089396

toward the end of part I, there is a chilling display of a Vickers gun opposing simulated formations of infantry.

It dramatically shows how effective Machine Gun placement was during the First World War.

RIP to any soldier facing such a weapon.
Nice clips, but they forgot to mention StG44, Ak47, MG42, and more. How can you make a History of the Machine gun without mentioning those, but going straight from Tommy Gun to m14? Argh. The incompetence!

Upvote 0
Nice clips, but they forgot to mention StG44, Ak47, MG42, and more. How can you make a History of the Machine gun without mentioning those, but going straight from Tommy Gun to m14? Argh. The incompetence!

Because it was an american propaganda video - Come on, saying that the tommygun was the first submachine gun and calling the M14 and the M16 the first assault rifles - that says it all about that tv program...Pure rubbish and history revisionism just like the movie U571 in my oppinion..

Upvote 0
Because it was an american propaganda video - Come on, saying that the tommygun was the first submachine gun and calling the M14 and the M16 the first assault rifles - that says it all about that tv program...Pure rubbish and history revisionism just like the movie U571 in my oppinion..
Quote for truth.

I was thinking the same thing.

Upvote 0
problem in RO shooting at a large group is the 1st row will stop most of the bullets with no penetration and by the time you aim for the empty parts to shot the guy in the back, hes already IS rifled you.

I was just thinking about this last night in DOD on flash map, or whatever that map is with the ruined railyard. I was german we advance to just before the last allied flag, and I set up my MG just as the enemy team,(7 of them on a 20 person server) came from respawn. They ran right across my field of fire.I got 4 right off the bat in a tight group, bullets penetrated the front 2 and hit the back 2. The last 3 scattered, no thoughts of ISing , got the next before he got to cover, got the 2nd to last just as he scrambled behind cover.

The best thing about Dod is no freaking corner clipping leaning, being plinked by a guys uppermost extreme helmet pixel doing the frikken limbo backwards while shooting. His choice of concealment was an old plaster wall. If DoD had the limbo shootiers they have the other only plus, that flimsy plaster wall I put a line of bullets across at ankle level then back across at waist. I would so love RO to have penetration, at least for MGs. 7 kills in about 2 seconds.

Upvote 0
problem in RO shooting at a large group is the 1st row will stop most of the bullets with no penetration and by the time you aim for the empty parts to shot the guy in the back, hes already IS rifled you.

I was just thinking about this last night in DOD on flash map, or whatever that map is with the ruined railyard. I was german we advance to just before the last allied flag, and I set up my MG just as the enemy team,(7 of them on a 20 person server) came from respawn. They ran right across my field of fire.I got 4 right off the bat in a tight group, bullets penetrated the front 2 and hit the back 2. The last 3 scattered, no thoughts of ISing , got the next before he got to cover, got the 2nd to last just as he scrambled behind cover.

The best thing about Dod is no freaking corner clipping leaning, being plinked by a guys uppermost extreme helmet pixel doing the frikken limbo backwards while shooting. His choice of concealment was an old plaster wall. If DoD had the limbo shootiers they have the other only plus, that flimsy plaster wall I put a line of bullets across at ankle level then back across at waist. I would so love RO to have penetration, at least for MGs. 7 kills in about 2 seconds.

Must say I fairly well agree with that.

Upvote 0
I was just on Lazur with a captured Dp-28 and I went prone ion the unprotcted Russians spawn a few minites before te game ended, and like 10 guys spawned and I started firing and they didn't know where the fire came from so they started running for the door putting them all in a big cluster and I mowed most of them down, one guy with an MP-40 killed on but died.
I reloaded but my amzement (and horror) I saw two guys in a corener picking up guns but I reloaded fast enough to kill them as well. Their reinforcements were out.

Upvote 0
After some more experience with MGs:

DP-28: The most accurate MG. The first couple of rounds are as accurate as bolts. I find it useful for any range: short, medium, and long. Controllable recoil even with long bursts. Excellent overall.

MG-34: I use it differently than other MGs mainly because of the single-shot semi-auto mode and only 50 rounds per clip. It's more like a stationary semi-auto rifle. Best at medium range.

MG-42: The accuracy seems questionable to me but others might disagree. The recoil is the worst of the MGs. Probably best when used for short range in covering tight corners or bends.

Upvote 0
MG42s are good for holding ground and fending off incoming campers or infantry, but not as good taking ground, unless you use it for covering fire.

If you're a mobile person like me, MG34s and DP28s are good choices. I use my MGs agressively; you'll see me in Zithomir with a hip-positioned MG34 going all Jin-Roh Panzer Cop down the hallways, slicing apart any poor sods unfortunate enough to run into me unprepared. :cool:

Upvote 0
I have found that the DP28 when used agressively is great for helping your team advance and denying access to certain paths to capzones.

Agressive MGing when your team is on attack is a key to winning. I wish more MGers were agressive and gave covering fire. Even though its a game it works and if you can take a few more secondes you might even get a guy or two and make them think twice before running though that area again.

Upvote 0
Like I've said, the best way to use the MG-34 and especially the MG-42 is literally to TAP the fire button.

Don't fire more than a 5-round burst on any gun if you can help it. Most of the time when I see people complaining about the MGs it's because they expect the recoil to be a lot easier to control and they expect to do sustained fire for a while.

The MGs can be deadly effective with a good field of fire, if you literally just tap the fire button. They're quite accurate, provided you can acquire your target before he goes to ground. even so, accuracy is not their primary purpose -- use them to make the enemy adjust his tactics, delay his assault, or funnel him towards your teammates who are waiting for him. Or generally just use it to make the enemy keep his head down.

Upvote 0
***PARDON IF THERE IS ALREADY A TOPIC ON THIS***
(Just close this and point me to the right one)

Anyways, I like machine-gunning. Always fun. But I'm new to it. So let's make a topic about how to be an awesome machine gunner! (I'll add my experiences after tomorrow.)

As of now, if anyones ever used the machine guns just tell me which MG is your favorite (I think there are three...) and how you like to use it.

i.e.

Do you:

A.) Find a chokepoint/window in a building and set up at a window and just shred faces.

B.) Shoot where enemies might be, and hope they are affected by the "near miss" blur so your teammates can flank them.

C.) Run around, spot an enemy, set up before they see you then open fire. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

I'm interested to know about the machine guns. I hope they'll be as cool as I expect.

the only problem with this is that everyone plays rambo style and ignore any type of strategy. instead of waiting for cover fire (not that it works because nobody is actually facing mortal threat from vertual fire) they rush towards the enemy only to get mowed down by enemy fire. if people played to remain alive it would make for a better battle, but a little boring. ofcourse, unless the object of the game was to out-maneuver and out-smart you opponent. for this purpose maps need to be bigger with lots of approach options. only then the placement of machineguns for defensive and offensive purposses would be something that a person can really enjoy. currently with any latest game we dont have that option.

Upvote 0
Although mg34 is more effective,i like mg42 more because of its sound,when i am an MGer i pick mg42 most of the time,so i know how to use it properly but its only better then the other 2 when firing at multiple moving targets plus it has more ammo but with its high ROF u really cant use this advantage and it starts to smoke after a half belt.
If a decent rifleman starts to lean back and forth from a corner or pop up pop down his head behind cover u r pretty screwed with mg42,most of the time.

But with DP u can easil pixel shoot any target,moving or behind cover etc but it has a stupid cone of fire,that is also another strange thing about MGs of RO,with mg34 u can fire semiauto with an accuracy of a rifle yet u dont fire any tracer bullets thats the last strange thing about MGs of RO :).

Upvote 0
I don't find any of the guns to have cone fire. And I still find the MG42 to be perfectly useful at picking people off when needed.

Honestly, though, as an MGer, I tend to think i've done my job if I've done nothing more than delay the enemy. I know I won't kill everyone, but that's true with riflemen anyway. The thing about an MG is that it can really deny the enemy passage into an area.

I'll give you an example. Set up an MG42 in the administration building on Stalingrad Kessel in one of the windows. You'll be able to cover the alleyway approach, the crossover from the warehouses to the assembly hall, and several of the entrances in to the main assembly hall. From that position, you can lock down the enemy's approach into a key area, even if you don't kill every single guy who comes along.

Upvote 0