• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Machine Gun tactics.

I've always found the MG as being remarkably useful for killing people at long range. They're very accurate and have a high ROF allowing you to adjust for missed shots. Personally, I use them as sniper rifles.

Some Caveats:
1) The new maps seem to have fewer huge wide open areas so "sniping" with an MG is no longer as much fun. (I haven't played enough to really know, but from what I have played only the tank maps have enough wide open space to make this fun.)
2) The new MG42 class starts with a piddling 2 belts of ammo. You really need resupply or else you're SOL.

Upvote 0
Mg

Mg

Both weapons have there purposes and both can be very effective. For example I was a gunner on Odessa and we where pushed back to the tower. I setup my MG42 on the top floor of the tower. I blazed away at the east street keeping the enemy at bay. But only because I had good support from other players was I able to keep that position for a very long time. With out rifle men backing you up when you have to reload or giving you ammo. Short bursts are extremely handy with the MG42 since the barrel over heating. During that engagement I had to change barrels at least 4 times and reloaded many more then that. But we kept the enemy clear from the tower. I also have played Stalingrad with the MG34 and I was able to keep the enemy at bay I also had to change barrels a number of times. Without proper support the MG isn't as effective. With proper support it can be devastating. I recommend at least one person with a K98 in long distance games and MP40 in City levels as support. The rest of the folks should use the MG as a way to move forward and take ground. It is a ton of fun when people start to run forward to gain ground and you pack after them to give MG support in order to advance even more. I think the MG42 is a great defensive weapon and the MG34 can be a good offensive weapon.

Upvote 0
Also get on the practice maps and practice.

Also I found out how to deploy on the lower window ledge. At least this was true on one map. I kept crouching and approaching a window to deploy a MG42. And was not successful. I finally got tired of trying and hit the uncrouch key and low and behold the bipod icon appeared. So I deployed, but now I was standing up in the window. I really didn't like being this exposed so I hit the crouch key. Instead of going back to being to low to deploy on the lower part of the window I stayed deployed in a crouched position.

Upvote 0
Very good tip Theodrake.

In ROOST 41-45, the Russian Degtyarev DP/DT 1928 can almost be regarded as an automatic sniper rifle but without a scope.

Always use short bursts on a definite target(s).

With practice, very accurate and deadly single shots can be achieved. This method also reduces the chance of your tracer being observed.

On open maps I always flank in anticipation of enemy enemy approaches and crawl to the deploying position, never upright/crouched. This allows you to ambush the enemy most effectively and denies them your silhouette.

In urban environments, I crawl everywhere and camp the choke points, such as doorways, breaches etc. Stalingrad Kessel is the bomb for MG use.

I regularly score in excess of 80 points in a single round by sticking to these rules but only if someone has not grabbed Pulemetchik beforehand. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
My only questions about the MG-42, is when to change the barrel, and how does the barrel changing system work. I've noticed before when I was on practice mode that I warped my first barrel completely untill it didn't fire. I then changed to another barrel and did the same. I changed back and my barrel was already completely warped.

Does your first barrel cool down while you use a second one? Are there more than two?

If there are a set number of barrels, when would it be best to change it? When your barrel starts to smoke, or when the pitch of the gunshots goes down, or when it warps completely?

Upvote 0
Willshire said:
My only questions about the MG-42, is when to change the barrel, and how does the barrel changing system work. I've noticed before when I was on practice mode that I warped my first barrel completely untill it didn't fire. I then changed to another barrel and did the same. I changed back and my barrel was already completely warped.

Does your first barrel cool down while you use a second one? Are there more than two?

If there are a set number of barrels, when would it be best to change it? When your barrel starts to smoke, or when the pitch of the gunshots goes down, or when it warps completely?

Best to just fire in short bursts to begin with and don't overheat the barrel.

Upvote 0
Rule one: Machinegunners aren't one-man teams. If you want to shoot, you can't move - you have very little mobility. A rifleman or two can pick you off, leave aside a sniper. Or if they manage to close with you, grenades will be flying your way and you're stuck there unless you get lucky and can escape. Those are basically by far your two biggest threats.

To counter that on your own is very difficult, but if you take a supporting role, you can kick ass.

I was playing on Basovka as germans and I had the mg34. I kept getting killed constantly and could hardly kill as much as I died, doing no good to my team. Then I decieded to ask my team "where do you need an MG?". I was replied to by a teammate: "north flank seems empty, you could come here". So I started moving that way and eventually found this fellow. We started moving up together, meeting only sparse resistance that we could flush out with ease. The battle was stuck with the russians easily holding us back because whenever we could kill some of them, they could always just reinforce the train station before we could get enough people there. This had gone on for over 5 minutes already. Because of that, instead of setting up somewhere where I could provide fire at the train station, we continued to move onwards to the sandbag fortification and a bit further than that. This was because I had realised that while trying to pick them off of the windows would have little effect (they could run back as fast as I could kill them) so we had to do something different. I realised that if I set up my machinegun overlooking the path from their spawn to the train station, we would probably be able to hold them off long enough for our teammates to overpower the last objective. Well, we managed to move up to the rickety fences, so I deployed there and as my friend (a rifleman) protected me from snipers and grenades whenever I reloaded or changed the barrel, I literally mowed down every single russian who was trying to get to the station. Realising the situation, I advised my team over the voice comm: "I have cut off their reinforcements with a machinegun! Attack the train station!".

In less than two minutes, the defense of the last objective fell and my teammates were able to capture it. This was mostly because of our tactical use of the machinegun.

So yeah thats an excellent tactic, just avoid directly camping their spawn exit because thats somewhat bad sport and pisses people off. Just the route from the spawn to the objective. And look for a teammate who will back you up - together you're nearly unstoppable except when facing much larger numbers.

Upvote 0
Couple points to stress from a MG42 gunner point of view:

- Never ever fire in long bursts, guy above, if your barrel is warping/slowing down then you are not using the gun correctly. A 1-3 second burst firing 1000-1400rpm and we are talking a lot of lead, the gun has been described as a long range shotgun, plus you lose all accuracy and show a line of tracers with long bursts.

- Position is everything. Out of nade range, not easily flanked, and knowing the maps will determin how effective you are at stopping the enemy.

Upvote 0
Bluehawk said:
When supporting infantry I actually found a few times it effective to mark targets with my tracers so my teammates on the ground can move up on the hidden enemy. They get the kill but it still feels satisfying.

I agree, being an MGer is one of the most pivotal roles in any team. You need to have a microphone if you have one because you must switch roles to account for your team attacking and the opponents counter-attacking (or vice-versa), and this means you must always be near a friendly to resupply ESPECIALLY if you have an MG 42.

Upvote 0
I've pressed "b" when my MG42 overheats but the barrel doesn't seem to change! it just keeps on smoking. I've checked the config but it also says "b". I tried to change the key but the barrel doesn't change. Can you guys tell me what might be the problem? Thanks.
If you pick up someone's MG42, then you don't get the replacement barrels. You can only change the barrels if you start off with the MG.
Also, after you "break" the MG, then it's too late to change the barrels, you need to do it before it stops firing.
If that's not the problem, then check you key binding.

Upvote 0
If you pick up someone's MG42, then you don't get the replacement barrels. You can only change the barrels if you start off with the MG.
Also, after you "break" the MG, then it's too late to change the barrels, you need to do it before it stops firing.
If that's not the problem, then check you key binding.
Additionally, the Russian MG does not have any barrel changing functionality.

Upvote 0
I'm surpised at the untrue things people are sayuing here.

I, myslf, can be a very potent 1 man mg squad, because I don't wait around for the guy who I just supressed to make his move, I immediately 1) move to a better postion and shoot him from there 2) if supressed enough, will go to his area and shoot him with his pitol, after having confirmed he has an inferior weapon (semi, bolt, etc.). If you get shot while deplyoed you are an idiot, because you didn't move enough. I don't ever being shot while deplyoed other than situations where you desperaetly try to deploy and the enemy is 10 mertes away from you and he saw you first.

Here's what I mean. Example: Lyes Krovy, bunker over looking ammo. There's a great sniper nest to the left, and Russians can jump the barriers to get up top anmd shoot you. I would in this case, fire targets near and inside ammo, duck, redeply in the same bunker but it would throw off the sniper's aim. If I do happen to draw fire, I will duck and immediately leave and look for a better postion since the postion I was just at is unsafe. A lot of people don't realise they can move without haveing to undeploy beacuse it undeploys them anyway. Being supressed? Duck and move.

If you break your MG, melt your barrel, or heat it up so the rythmic ratatatata slows down to a beat which resmbles a fast firing .50 calibre, you are an idiot. The split second you see any trace of smoke comng from you barrel you should IMMEDIATELY change it. If you don't you are an idiot. People also don't realise they can fire in 3-6 second bursts without heating up the barrel at all. You won't be shooting cinsecutively because you won't be shooting at that number of people, anyway. Unless, of course, you have extremely bad aim. 2-3 second bursts supress too.

The 34 is extremely inaccurate. Don't shoot it over 75 metres. It'll miss. You should only use it above those ranges if yuo have like 5 people around ready to give you ammo and you are in an ideal spot. Be prepared to fire huge amounts of ammo and to change you barrel often. The 34 is very, unique weapon. It's versatile. Close quarters the hipshooting will save your life, while it can supress with the amounts of ammo, it can be a short range semi auto, and it can flank. You should sue this gun on Danzig, krasnyi, tula outskirts, and other maps similar which you can exploit the 34's strengths. Some maps to avoid using it are Oddessa, Kaukusus and Baksan.

If the 34 were a resteraunt that served many things at a good quality, the 42 would be a resteraunt that was extremely expensive and the limited food it served would be top notch. While it lacks the hipshooting function, it is faster, more accurate, deploys more place, has less recoil, is quieter, so many more things that put it above the 34. The 42 is the ideal German weapon. Supress, move, kill. It is a very deadly weapon in the right hands. Use it on stalingrad, kaukusus, and long to medium range maps. But the 42 is not limited to these things. Set yourself up in a tactical postion and wait for the guy to move into your sights, set up in the most unexpected locations. You can more competantly kill a guy at 30-175 metres than with 34. You'l find yourself using theodrak's tip with this a lot.

No, the DP28 is not an automatic sniper. It is a mix between the 42 and 34. Its rugged and can handle a lot more than the German guns. The sight is easier to use, but you won't find yourself killing a guy at 100 metres because of the innacuracy. It's more accurate than 34 but less than the 42. Everything about it is just, "in the middle."

Now to reply to the topic title:

First Lietenant S.hithead says, "Wehn mann ein MG-schutze is, bleib auf der Bewegung."

Upvote 0