• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
While it's not Mac, it is unix-like.
Linux libraries were shipped w/ L4D demo not essential for a pure server (steamclient_linux.so). This along w/ a posting @ Valve for a Sr. software engi to port windows-based games to linux platforms raises some suspicions over Steam getting multiplatform support sometime in the future.

Until then there's always Crossover for Mac which I hear works pretty well.
RO:Ostfront has a gold rating on WineHQ, which means it's good and stable in wine under linux.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Steam being ported over won't happen anytime soon due to cost-effectiveness me thinks.
The market share of Macs/Linux boxes is way to small. And considering a lot of mac users ain't gamers, this makes the market for it even smaller.

Maybe the reason Mac users aren't gamers is BECAUSE they don't have Steam.

There probably would be more mac gamers if they had more to choose from than rubbish EA games.

Personally I don't care as I'm a PC man.

Upvote 0
Maybe the reason Mac users aren't gamers is BECAUSE they don't have Steam.

There probably would be more mac gamers if they had more to choose from than rubbish EA games.

Personally I don't care as I'm a PC man.
Nope, it's because Apple doesn't really cares about games/gamers. John Carmack (from id Software) has talked before about this, if you look hard enough you may find some interviews about that.
Also, Steam hit Windows in... 2004, if I'm correct. And yet, long before that there was Windows, Pc Gaming and Mac, yet no tr00 pc gamer played on Mac.

Upvote 0
Nope, it's because Apple doesn't really cares about games/gamers. John Carmack (from id Software) has talked before about this, if you look hard enough you may find some interviews about that.
Also, Steam hit Windows in... 2004, if I'm correct. And yet, long before that there was Windows, Pc Gaming and Mac, yet no tr00 pc gamer played on Mac.

Yeah... but you kinda missed my point. I know lots of mac users who play games like Call Of Duty 4 etc on their Macs. A lot of them would love to be able to play games like KF on their macs using Steam.

Of course I know that if you want to game you buy a PC. I'm not entirely dim... but I think there are lots of POTENTIAL gamers out there who happen to own a Mac instead.

I personally think that if Macs were more 'gamer friendly', Mac users might be more inclined to 'game'.

Of course, I'm only playing devils advocate here really. I work for a software company myself and it makes sense to me that Valve should be single-platform only as this vastly increases cost-efficiency. I don't like Mac OS anyway. AND you can always install Windows/Steam on your mac and have a far better experience. My point was just that if Mac-users had a better gaming platform like Steam, they might be more inclined to game.

Upvote 0