• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MAC-10: Boost, or leave it how it is?

lods-of-emone

Nov 27, 2013
as i firebug, i am the weakest perk in my game, at level 3.

my flamethrower, trenchgun, flare revolvers and the sort are fun to use, but aren't useful enough.

then there's the MAC-10. as we all know, this machine pistol is capable of semi and full auto, as well as firing incendiary rounds. however, its weaker than a one-legged crawler,so heres an idea.

why not boost the MAC-10? give it some extra OOMPH when firing, but not too much. for maximum firebug fun, perhaps tripwire could make it dual-wieldable, much like the flare revolvers and Pistols. this would obviously decrease accuracy, but with double the firepower, causing double the, uh... fire's power..., it would leave you with somewhat of a fighting chance. (plus it would look b-tchin' in ZED Time.)

increasing the firepower on such a close-mid range weapon would make the Firebug a bit more powerful, and when you have two machine pistols pressed against a raging scrakes head, you must be one of two things: suicidal, or a bloody good firebug.

so what do you think? make the MAC-10 more appealing and powerful to aid the FB in combat, or leave it how it is.

i'm eager to hear your responses.

thanks for reading~

For me, the MAC-10 is the firebug's long ranged weapon.

I pull the thing out to shoot over distances. On single-fire and aiming carefully, you can easily hit a zed at the longest of ranges, and a single bullet into it will kill anything south of a bloat. For the more passable shooters, shoot the bloats head, and it'll die. On wide open maps, the MAC-10 is a godsend.

Plus, it has the advantage that it's light compared to the other firebug weapons, and the bullets travel instantly (which is the main thing that prevents the flare pistols from acting in the same role).

If it had incendiary bullets offperk, I would use this very frequently offperk as well.

Upvote 0
While I'd love to dual-wield smg's, the firebug's mac10 is perfectly fine as it is right now, and doesn't require any boost. Perhaps dual mac10's could be commando thing.

If you're using MAC-10 at the open areas while going mobile it's suicidal.
Uhhh... that's actually the main way of using mac10, as you can precisely set targets aflame with one shot and just let them die off when you kite.

Upvote 0
Son, take a seat on my knee here, and let me tell you a story. A story from when I was but a wee lad with pyromania, no larger than yourself.
Back in those days, we didn't have these newfangled Trenchguns and Flare Revolvers. Every Firebug had only two weapons to his name: the handy Flamethrower, and the trusty MAC-10. And what an inseparable pair they were.

Anyway, one fateful night I found myself on KF-Farm on Normal difficulty, alongside four squadmates I'd only just met. Something was different tonight, I could feel it in the air.
For the first half hour, everything was peachy. Every man did his job and did it right, and nary a Gorefast could get the drop on us. I hesitate to admit, I got a bit caught up in the fun late in the mission, and got separated from my squad.
The next thing I knew, three teammates were dead, and a Scrake with a fiery rage in his eyes was running for the last. He managed to finish the Scrake just before it would have made mincemeat of him. Badly wounded, he fled from the ever-advancing horde. Unfortunately, he didn't see the Siren step out of the wheat patch until it was too late, and the last thing he heard was her ungodly wail.

I was the last against yet a hundred more monsters. I told myself I could handle it, and I knew I could, until I saw 2 Scrakes among the horde.
Again, back in those days, there were no Flare Revolvers or Trenchguns. The recommended strategy for a Firebug to engage a Scrake was "don't," and it was one I planned to stick to.
I drew my trusty MAC-10 and, as I backpedaled away from the advancing horde, I began placing careful shots through the heads of all the trash -- carefully watching my back for any surprises, and avoiding hitting the Scrakes. The closer one wouldn't stop staring at me. And I stared back, right into his soulless eyes. And in them, I saw nothingness.
As the horde began to thin, it sunk in that the Scrakes were not going to let me be. Sooner or later, I would have to try my hand against them. I knew it was better to die fighting than running, but I wanted to live.

Just when I thought it would be my last night alive, as I finished off a stray Gorefast, suddenly I heard the sound of a radical electric guitar riff; and before my eyes flashed, in big red letters: Firebug - Level 4.
It was then I knew what I had to do. I had to do what my own father had always told me to do: kite 'em and ignite 'em.

I flicked my ever-loyal MAC-10 back to semi-auto and loosed two shots, one for each Scrake. And as I continued to backpedal, I watched them burn. To their credit, they seemed to feel no pain. Eventually, their fires went out. So I let loose another shot to ignite the nearer one again. And he continued to burn. A few seconds later he raised his chainsaw and began to sprint towards me. I smiled. Halfway there, he stopped running as his skin turned black and charred, and he began to flail his arms and walk aimlessly. I reloaded, and flicked back to full-auto. After a few more seconds, the now medium-well Scrake sprinted towards me again. I lifted my MAC10, pointed carefully at his chin, and held the trigger until the magazine was empty. The Scrake lay before me, reeking not of fury, but of bacon.
Laughing at my newfound ability, I tried it again on the other Scrake, and it worked just as well.
That day I went home a rich man.

And that's the story of how I realized it was time to move from Normal to Hard.

tl;dr the MAC-10 is so pimp you have no idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Son, take a seat on my knee here, and let me tell you a story. A story from when I was but a wee lad with pyromania, no larger than yourself.
Back in those days, we didn't have these newfangled Trenchguns and Flare Revolvers. Every Firebug had only two weapons to his name: the handy Flamethrower, and the trusty MAC-10. And what an inseparable pair they were.

Anyway, one fateful night I found myself on KF-Farm on Normal difficulty, alongside four squadmates I'd only just met. Something was different tonight, I could feel it in the air.
For the first half hour, everything was peachy. Every man did his job and did it right, and nary a Gorefast could get the drop on us. I hesitate to admit, I got a bit caught up in the fun late in the mission, and got separated from my squad.
The next thing I knew, three teammates were dead, and a Scrake with a fiery rage in his eyes was running for the last. He managed to finish the Scrake just before it would have made mincemeat of him. Badly wounded, he fled from the ever-advancing horde. Unfortunately, he didn't see the Siren step out of the wheat patch until it was too late, and the last thing he heard was her ungodly wail.

I was the last against yet a hundred more monsters. I told myself I could handle it, and I knew I could, until I saw 2 Scrakes among the horde.
Again, back in those days, there were no Flare Revolvers or Trenchguns. The recommended strategy for a Firebug to engage a Scrake was "don't," and it was one I planned to stick to.
I drew my trusty MAC-10 and, as I backpedaled away from the advancing horde, I began placing careful shots through the heads of all the trash -- carefully watching my back for any surprises, and avoiding hitting the Scrakes. The closer one wouldn't stop staring at me. And I stared back, right into his soulless eyes. And in them, I saw nothingness.
As the horde began to thin, it sunk in that the Scrakes were not going to let me be. Sooner or later, I would have to try my hand against them. I knew it was better to die fighting than running, but I wanted to live.

Just when I thought it would be my last night alive, as I finished off a stray Gorefast, suddenly I heard the sound of a radical electric guitar riff; and before my eyes flashed, in big red letters: Firebug - Level 4.
It was then I knew what I had to do. I had to do what my own father had always told me to do: kite 'em and ignite 'em.

I flicked my ever-loyal MAC-10 back to semi-auto and loosed two shots, one for each Scrake. And as I continued to backpedal, I watched them burn. To their credit, they seemed to feel no pain. Eventually, their fires went out. So I let loose another shot to ignite the nearer one again. And he continued to burn. A few seconds later he raised his chainsaw and began to sprint towards me. I smiled. Halfway there, he stopped running as his skin turned black and charred, and he began to flail his arms and walk aimlessly. I reloaded, and flicked back to full-auto. After a few more seconds, the now medium-well Scrake sprinted towards me again. I lifted my MAC10, pointed carefully at his chin, and held the trigger until the magazine was empty. The Scrake lay before me, reeking not of fury, but of bacon.
Laughing at my newfound ability, I tried it again on the other Scrake, and it worked just as well.
That day I went home a rich man.

tl;dr the MAC-10 is so pimp you have no idea.

You have just made my night. Well played, sir, well played :D

Upvote 0
Weak? Lvl4 firebug is capable of killing just about every zed, with one shot, on hard, up to husks, scrakes.
Clots, crawlers, sirens, stalkers, gorefasts, all die from ONE bullet. You don't even need a critical headshot. Bloats will die from one shot if you hit them in the head. Single shot scrakes and FP's while you run, and let them lose health from burning. Repeat when the fire stops. When they rage, finish them off with a trenchgun or flamethrower. It's fine. Husks are fire resistant, so any fire weapon is fairly weak against them.

I wouldn't mind dual wield Mac-10's just for Poops and giggles. I almost always use the Mac-10 in semi-auto, but having duals would be fun, since they're pretty light weapons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only thing that being a firebug gets you is incendiary ammunition and a bigger magazine. Damge/DoT doesn't scale with the perk.With the MAC10 a lvl 0 firebug is almost as good as a lvl6 one.
So that being said. A LVL 0 on 'Hard' difficulty could take out every trash zed with one shot, headshots are not needed(Crawlers, clots, Stalker, Siren, Gorefast). 1 headshot on a bloat will kill it, and single shooting big Zeds such as the SC and FP and kiting will still be effective.

Yeah, MAC-10 really doesn't need a 'boost.'

Upvote 0
You have just made my night. Well played, sir, well played :D
That was a beautiful story Captain Howel :eek:
Always happy to entertain :) It's mostly true, too!

Husks are fire resistant, so any fire weapon is fairly weak against them.
According to that big ol' PDF that was made a while back, the Husk resists all fire damage except the DoT of the MAC10, Flare Revolver, Trenchgun, and Husk Launcher. I think the MAC10's shots are considered bullets instead of fire damage, which makes it actually a pretty solid choice for dealing with Husks. Even without it though, I consider the Firebug the ideal choice to deal with Husks since he doesn't have to worry much (or, at higher levels, at all) about their fireballs.
Looking at the PDF again, the Flare Revolver's shots deal an initial 25 burn damage and 100 non-burn damage with an HS multiplier of 1.5, the Husk Launcher will deal up to 750 non-burn damage with again 1.5 HS, and a blast of all 14 pellets from the Trenchgun will deal 252 with 1.65 HS. So really only the Flamethrower and Incendiary Grenades are ineffective against the Husk.

The only thing that being a firebug gets you is incendiary ammunition and a bigger magazine. Damge/DoT doesn't scale with the perk.With the MAC10 a lvl 0 firebug is almost as good as a lvl6 one.
True, though the level 0 wouldn't have incendiary grenades, which have the single highest burn DoT (assuming the target was at the center of the blast). Also I don't see that as a bad thing, as it means the MAC10 will work very well for low-levels and will teach them the benefit of mostly using perk weapons.

Come to think of it though, if you were good with maximizing the effectiveness of both the MAC10 and the grenades, you could potentially carry just those two and 10 blocks of off-perk stuff, or those two, a single flare, and 8 blocks of off-perk. A lot of potential there. I'll have to try that out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So that being said. A LVL 0 on 'Hard' difficulty could take out every trash zed with one shot, headshots are not needed(Crawlers, clots, Stalker, Siren, Gorefast). 1 headshot on a bloat will kill it, and single shooting big Zeds such as the SC and FP and kiting will still be effective.

Yeah, MAC-10 really doesn't need a 'boost.'
Oh yeah. MAC10 is balls to the walls, I love the lil guy.

Upvote 0
Not to mention if the MAC-10 became dual, it'd end up going up to at LEAST 6 weight, and I really don't think even dual MAC-10s are worth losing half your inventory space for.
Even if they did weigh 6 blocks. That's still enough to carry dual MAC-10's plus a trench gun. That's not bad at all.

I mean, 1 MAC-10 + flamethrower= 15/15 weight
What's so bad about 2 MAC-10's + Trench gun = 15/15 weight?

That works out fairly nicely, IMO.

Tripwire may be able two drop the weight of 2 mac-10's to 5 blocks, because one could argue that the MAC-10 weights 2 blocks, and the ammo weighs 1 block, and being that when you buy duals, you don't get more ammo 2+2+1=5
Any lighter and you'd have dual SMG's that are as light or lighter than some dual pistols. I mean, dual 9mm, which are mediocre at best, IMO, weigh 4 blocks. 6 blocks doesn't seem unreasonable for two SMG's that carry 40+ ammo in each magazine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0