• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M4 sucks. MP5 shines. That's it.

Utopia-Phoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Qingdao, Shandong, China
That's it. M4 sucks -- that include both the aimpoint one and the grenadier.

Demolitions don't need to get close to the enemy to take it out. A demo don't even need to battle at close range. M4 grenadier sucks. If a demo is shooting bullets instead of explosives, then there is something wrong -- either the demo or the teammates is wrong.

M4 for commando. It sucks.
It sucks since 1 headshot don't decap a gorefast. AK does.(6 men HOE, commando LV6)
It sucks since the horrible sight -- the ring in black blocks a huge part of the vision.

Although this one is lower on recoil, I perfer the old AK47. The recoil of AK47 is not hard to compensate after all.

MP5. Yeah. It shines. It drive the MP7 obsolete.

When medic, MP5 with its big mag of 64rds can be a easy headshot machine. MP7 will deplete the mag very fast.
When off-perked, MP5 with the normal mag of 32rds can pop some heads before changing mag. MP7 is a totally useless since the pathetic mag and recoil.

The M4 is cool. I personally freaking love it.

Why do you think it sucks because it does 23% less damage per round than the AK?
It also has less recoil, slightly higher rate of fire and 25% more reserve ammo AND a better sight!

Personally I think they should increase the M4 cost by 300 and decrease the weight by 1 block. This would differentiate it from the AK and make it more realistic. AKs are cheap and heavy. Even without stock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The M4 Super 90 is more expensive than it should be, for having 6 rounds that as far as i've gathered, are the weakest buckshot shots ingame.

The M4 rifle it quite good, i replaced the LAR with it in my Berserker loadout, since it works wonders on crawlers.

The M4 with barrel-mounted M203 GL needs a few more 40x46mm to make it more viable; the AR side of it is fine for what it does.

Upvote 0
The M4 is cool. I personally freaking love it.

Why do you think it sucks because it does 23% less damage per round than the AK?
It also has less recoil, slightly higher rate of fire and 25% more reserve ammo AND a better sight!

Personally I think they should increase the M4 cost by 300 and decrease the weight by 1 block. This would differentiate it from the AK and make it more realistic. AKs are cheap and heavy. Even without stock.

It does 23% less damage per round. Yeah. 23% less damage means an extra bullet to kill.

Less recoil? I don't know. I have been rocking commando for 2 years, and I found the M4 almost the same difficulty in controllership as the AK.

The most important one: The horrible sight! The big black ring blocks a huge part of the sight! I dare not to get too close to the enemy because of this! With AK, no such problem!

Upvote 0
TWI undertuned the weapons until they could get some proper balancing data on them.

If true, I hope they give the Combat Shotty and M4203 a price reduction. Their prices render them somewhat obsolete, IMO. Cool guns as they are, there's just better alternatives as far as value is concerned.

This was my suspicion as well, as all the weapons (barring perhaps the Claymore) seem either underpowered for their price or overpriced for their power (depending on the developer's vision for each weapon). M1014 needs to be on par with the Benelli (or stronger) on more than just RoF since it's so much more expensive (and because it's not really reliable as a Scrake/FP killer). It needs either quicker reload times, 8 rounds in the weapon fully loaded, or lower price. Personally I'd go for the quicker reload, as that would make it a high-tier anti-mob weapon which is a niche the Support doesn't have anything for atm. Right now it just feels unwieldy to use against both big targets and small mobs.

M4 has a similar problem in that it runs dry too fast for how much damage each shot does and it's firing spread. It either needs greater accuracy, slightly larger mag, or a tad more damage. The price I'd assume is fine considering it's the same tier ranking as the AK (right?). Also, it's ADS view is a lot more restrictive than the Bullpup's (or even the AK's). Not sure what to make of that but it does contribute to it's lack of overall utility imo.

The Husk Cannon is about as effective as the Flamethrower, if not somewhat more so (it does lose in sustained crowd control though). It's versatile against both large targets and small ones, and the ammo lasts about as long with the same amount of conservation. The problem is that the Husk Cannon is WAY more expensive, which means the Firebug is saving up for a weapon that doesn't give him much more total utility, it just spreads it into different areas. It's a good "sidegrade", but it ain't priced like one.

The M203.....I'd say that considering it's weight and price, it should be more than just the M79+bullets-grenades. It's more expensive than the M32, and has less total grenade round capacity than the M79. Either match it's price to the M32, or buff it's grenade count. I think I'd be in the majority opinion for thinking that it doesn't have same amount of total utility as the M32, much less greater utility. Yes, it has a more balanced utility, and that counts for something (especially for Demo), but if you only have enough for one or the other a subpar unperked AR is not worth more than the ability to fire 5 additional grenades in one go.

MP5? Possibly the most useful new weapon, doesn't need much of anything buffed imo. If anything, it needs it's heal rate linked to the MP7. As an aside, it's got a really nice looking reload animation.

Single Magnum's pretty much okay too. I get the feeling that this gun is not so much meant for SS as meant to be an off-perk sidearm for other classes, so the only thing it really needs is a price reduction so it can be bought early-game or when don't have enough for another main weapon (Though, I heard it was bugged in that it doesn't receive SS reload & recoil bonuses? That's probably going to be fixed if so, so no use fretting about it).

Dual-wielding them seems much less useful (as is a trend in this game it seems ;) ), as they no longer fit that 2-weight niche, have less shots than the Dual HC while remaining almost as expensive, and have a ungodly-long reload animation (which makes sense realistically since they're revolvers, but adds to their underpoweredness).

TL: DR: Overall, I think the new weapons are cool, but for the most part they feel less useful as a whole than the old weapons, while being pricier. In other words, a lower money-spent-to-power ratio. So uniformally so, in fact, that I have no trouble believing they are intentionally that way so as not to upset balance.

Edit: Also, I think I'd be in the majority opinion again for thinking that:
The Flamethrower needs to be moved back to Slot 4.
The MP5 & 7 also need to be moved to slot 4.
The Katana should come up before the Claymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malhaven
Upvote 0
The M4 is a decent upgrade to the bullpup, but it wastes too much ammo. On full-auto mode it eats up a second bullet with no noticeable effect after the slightest tap, just about every time, even with a low ping of ~50.. cutting the effective ammo total in half when I'm not on semi-auto. The AK and SCAR never do this for me if I'm trying not to.

Semi is fine though, a tad weak but can pop heads easily if you have a good grasp on the center of your screen. Can't see a reason to use it in any commando loadout if ammo isn't a problem, other than 'it looks pretty'.

How do you know this? Can you link the source?

I would like this, too.

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
You know, my biggest problem with the Combat Shotty is the reload speed. It's just... not very good, IMO. Mainly because it doesn't go "+1" until after the character puts his hand down away from the gun, as opposed to the regular shotty. In fact, if functional feedback was in time with visual feedback, I don't think I'd have a complaint.

Upvote 0
IMHO M4 with single shot enabled is pretty solid, spraying makes it useless though.

M4+203 is fun and handy for closer zeds, runs out of ammo fast though has ungodly recoil and 12 nades... o and it bugs sometimes making you spend 1.2K on reload nades without getting any if you got a m79/m32 with it. found that it's "fixed" if you shoot a nade with the m79/m32 and then pick up a ammo box... but well 2 nades don't help much no do they :p

mp5... not much to complain it's an awesome gun :D

havn't used super shotty yet since my support is lvl 6 and leveling the other perks.

Husk canon. fun idea, horrebly expensive and not worth it for that amounth of cash, thats all.

.44 it's oke not good not to bad, rather mediocar.

claymore, seems solid enough except that the weight likes not beeing consistend.

overall the mp5 was teh only thing really worth it imho.

Upvote 0
I just did about a hour on HoE as Commando, trying serveral combinations.

To be honest, I see no reason to use the M4. The AK has more recoil, but with a slower ROF it is easier to control and therefore much better if you have to go sustained full auto, and it does more damage. As for the Scar, even though the Scar only holds 25 rounds, it deals much more damage, and is more controllable.

I tried AK and M4, M4 and Scar, Ak and Scar. The AK and Scar loadout is still the best IMO.

The scope/sight needs to be something other than a slightly altered scope/sight from the Scar that blocks a large portion of your view, after all, there are plenty to choose from. here is one: http://www.moteng.com/DOH321-MicroFighter-Tiny-Holo-Sight-Auto-Bright

One more thing. Why a 37 round mag?

It's like they took half the Ak and combined it with half of the Scar, increased the ROF, and decreased the damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: sph34r and Malhaven
Upvote 0
The M4 with barrel-mounted M203 GL needs a few more 40x46mm to make it more viable; the AR side of it is fine for what it does.
In all honesty, for the price and weight, I'd like to see the total AR ammo reduced and the grenade count increased. That would keep more in spirit with the perk, I think. The rifle to soley deal with in-your-face threats, and the GL for... well, Demoing.

Upvote 0