• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics M38 vs. MN30/91 vs. M44

Steve

Jun 26, 2006
I'm a fan of the bolt action rifles but I'm not sure which one to pick. I've read the descriptions in game, and this is what I see:

M38: Shorter, easier to handle, no bayonett, less accurate.
MN30/91: Standard rifle, attachable bayonett, best accuracy w/o bayo
M44: Affixed bayonett, less accurate

I like the idea of the M38, easier handling for less accuracy, but in game I don't notice a difference at all. The new M44 looks interesting, but why don't I just get a MN30 and attach the bayonett at spawn?

What do you guys think? Do you have any preferences? Does anyone notice the differences at all?

Steve said:
I'm a fan of the bolt action rifles but I'm not sure which one to pick. I've read the descriptions in game, and this is what I see:

M38: Shorter, easier to handle, no bayonett, less accurate.
MN30/91: Standard rifle, attachable bayonett, best accuracy w/o bayo
M44: Affixed bayonett, less accurate

I like the idea of the M38, easier handling for less accuracy, but in game I don't notice a difference at all. The new M44 looks interesting, but why don't I just get a MN30 and attach the bayonett at spawn?

What do you guys think? Do you have any preferences? Does anyone notice the differences at all?

Quicker snapshots, less length, lighter, ect.

Upvote 0
Supposedly, the M38 and M44 have less bullet-drop over larger distances than the 30/91, although I haven't really noticed this yet. I don't see a quicker reload or other handling with the M38 and M44 compared to the 30/91. I tend to hit better with the 30/91, so I usually stick with that.

If say the reloading of the carbines would be quicker, I would go for these, especially on the maps where long range is less of an issue (Krasniy, StalingradKessel). On maps like Basovka, nothing beats my trusty MN30/91.

Upvote 0
Use M44 in tight spaces: quicker to sight and unsight, has a bayonet, and the accuracy difference is small. Use the default rifle for long range combat where accuracy helps, and fix the bayonet when you're going to charge somewhere. The new M44 > M38 in all situations: both are intended for close quarters, but the M44 has a bayonet and I have not noticed any accuracy difference.

Upvote 0
Centar said:
Use M44 in tight spaces: quicker to sight and unsight, has a bayonet, and the accuracy difference is small. Use the default rifle for long range combat where accuracy helps, and fix the bayonet when you're going to charge somewhere. The new M44 > M38 in all situations: both are intended for close quarters, but the M44 has a bayonet and I have not noticed any accuracy difference.

But not many maps have the M44!

Upvote 0
Personally, I have found the M38 to be less accurate than the 30. When you're trying to shoot a guy behind sandbags at 50 meters or more, you'll need the 30 to get the shot, in my experience.

The 44 and 38 do seem to bolt faster, but that may be my imagination. Personally, I'd take the 30 for most maps except the most confined ones. On the confined maps, i'd rather take an SMG or semi-auto. So the ONLY time I'll ever be taking the 38 or 44 is on a confined map where i'm late to join.

Upvote 0
Where did this bayonet effects accuracy myth come from? Anyway...I like the m44, it fits me like a frickin glove. I love the bayonet so I don't have to worry about hitting a button and accidently taking it off during a fight (that has happened to me before :( ). It is also a shorter and just as accurate as any other rifle in the game for the average shootout for this game. Now for the really long shots I would prefer mn30. It really depends on your style of play. If you like sitting back and taking the long shots and you don't like getting in to close quarter combat take the mn30. If you like to be able to get in close and be effective and also be able to hit those distance targets go with the m44, forget the m38 its completely outclassed.

Upvote 0
I used to use the M38 carbine in the mod just because it had a cool sound. The regular MN90 just sounded like *BLAM* while the carbine had this neat *CRACKOWWWW* which made me giggle. Then one time I nailed the longest headshot I have ever hit on Danzig, and I've tended to use the M38 for long shots ever since, even though it's supposed to be less accurate.

In the new maps, nothing beats that M44. As far as I can tell, it's every bit as accurate as the MN90/30g, but it bolts faster and has a bayonet. How can you go wrong?

Upvote 0
The bolt action rifles in general are more accurate than the semi-autos. I've noticed this when using the G43 Sniper vs. the K98 Sniper. The K98 is simply more accurate and easier to handle, I find.

I suspect there is some difference in accuracy for the M38/M44 and the MN91/30. The 91/30 is probably more accurate over longer ranges (which would make sense) and probably suffers less from bullet drop or other deviation.

I suspect the m38/m44 are faster to move in free-look mode. They definitely shoulder faster. I'm not sure if their bolts cycle faster or if that's a function of shouldering.

On most maps, I'll take the M38 over the 91/30, unless I think I'll want a bayonet. If the M44's available I'll take that. I always attach my bayonet with the 91/30, though, and even with the K98. The bayonet doesn't affect accuracy of the WEAPON, per se, but you'll see yourself get tired a little faster and sway more with it attached.

Upvote 0