M38 vs. MN30/91 vs. M44

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

[CiA]Stiletto

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
M44's ability to snap up to sights has saved my ass a couple of times in game.

Reddog: are you sure that wasn't just lag? I've pulled some pretty BS shots when my ping was high enough.

Snayperskaya

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 21, 2006
Australia
I always use the M1891-30
Love it.
I don't mind the carbines, but I like the look and feel of the 1891 better.
The larger weight and length gives greater accuracy I feel

Reddog

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 7, 2005
Australia
Well I have come to the conclusion that the M44 definitely shoots a little to the left.

Using it on snowy forest I have found that shooting at prone germans placing the sight dead on them yields hit and miss results, whereas if I aim with my target just left of center on the sight I get consistent hits.

BeserkWraithlor

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 3, 2006
Arizona
I like the first Bolt Action rifle Soviets get, because I am a sharpshooter, and I need accurate shots. It also has bayonet, which makes you very deadly in close combat. (Note:Bayonets reduce accuracy slightly).

piller

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 2, 2006
i havent noticed ANY decrease in accuracy with a bayonette attached.

Now weather or not the bayonette has any affect on my ability to hold the gun still I do not know

Solo4114

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 12, 2006
I think the devs said, either when the game first came out or during the mod that the bayonet only decreases your accuracy in the sense that it makes your arms get tired and the barrel will start swaying sooner. Outside of that, I don't think there's a huge functional difference with bayo on or off.

The carbines seem faster in free-aim, though I'd bet the 38 is a little bit faster than the 44 simply because of the reduced weight. The 44 makes up for it with the bayonet, though.

Skew

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 11, 2006
Denmark
My rifles shoot where I aim. That's good enough for me. I don't have a favorite, I just take whatever I feel like.

Oldih

Glorious IS-2 Comrade
Nov 22, 2005
Finland
I pick M38 usually.

Why? It has sexy colour and besides, you can Kung-Fu people with it instead of slash them.

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
Personally, I think the bolting, aiming and reloading is a helluva lot faster for the carbines. I find it to be much quicker, and on most maps, the distances aren't great enough to require the 91/30's greater accuracy.

JM2C

signed, the accuracy of the 91/30 is good on a map like konigsplazt for long distances shots, but i always take the 38 over the 91/30 as it rarely ever fails me, and when possible il take a m44

piller

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 2, 2006
All of the local stores here have about 20 of them. The average price is $50. They've got a few springfield rifles too

engineer

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 7, 2006
I use them all, depending on the circumstanses.

The carbines lack the fireball and louder gunshot they actually have, though :(

piller

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 2, 2006
I ran a few tests to compare the MN30/91 and the M38:

Rechamber Time:
-Both Rifles took about 7.5 seconds to unload all 5 shots while aiming

Reload Time:
-Both Rifles could reload in about 6 seconds

Hip Rechamber Time:
-Both Rifles took about 8 seconds to unload all 5 shots while firing from the hip.

Unless the differnce is in split seconds the rumors that say one reloads/fires faster than the other are false. HOWEVER, before everyone flames me there are still untested factors such as holstering time, controlability, accuracy, aim down sights raise time and more. But for now the only certain advantage of the M38 is that it is shorter and may not stick out as much.