• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation M1937 Anti-tank Gun Video/Screens

Hey, since this is probably all done and stuff (if it'll be coming out in the next TractorWorks map revision), I thought I'd throw in my last few thoughts on the matter:

1.) The solo reload time should approximate the time that it would take one person to eject a shell, run over to the pile and grab a new one, load, then line up the shot and fire. That's like 9 seconds maybe? Don't know how the distances, factoring the "no food for 4 days and no sleep for 6 days" part of being a soldier in the Eastern Front.

2.) You could mimic two soldiers manning the gun by having one prone soldier model for the loader and one crouched soldier model for the shooter. I was thinking before of using one of those half-a-body models from a tank, but that may look worse than anything.

That's it, and it's probably too late for any changes, so I can't wait to see how it works out.

Upvote 0
I highly doubt that 1) is a good idea. First of all if you'd prepare an ambush point with your AT weapons you'd make ****ing damn sure that everything is at it's place or you could start playing russian roulette right now. And second this gun at least if I consider the posts here, is not going to be very strong. So it's advantages are it's low silhouette and the fast firing rate.
Why should you remove any of those?
Btw. I guess best is we wait for the first version to appear. :)

Upvote 0
Any AT guns advantage was the element of surprise or massive firepower and range over an opponent. Any 'light' class AT gun lost all advantage at the moment they fired unless extremely well hidden. The flak88 was one of the first guns (relatively speaking of 1941/42) that could sit out in modestly open ground and engage oncoming tanks at long range without 'surprise' and still do considerable damage. Read some accounts of the North Africa campaign in 1942 for some great accounts of 88s taking on British armor and shredding it. The Brits quickly returned the favor with heavier AT and arty in coming months but lessons were learned. Depending on terrain, an AT gun could be in a ditch, a shell hole, a grove of trees, someone's living room or wherever they could move it. There are accounts of the Russians dismantling 76mm AT guns at Stalingrad and carrying them inside buildings and at time UP a floor or more to gain advantage. I've seen a photo of a gun with no wheels on an upper floor.

Back to the 45. Rate of fire is the asset. Waiting to gain the first good shot is vital. The random spawn element should really help mappers create dynamic situations and rachet up the tension.

Upvote 0
The ROF is based on the same considerations that the game takes for tanks. It assumes a manned crew for firing. Just like a tank turret.

For the two player version, I am playing with different reloading rates based on the number of players using the gun. Obviously, the historical rate for two players and a slower rate for one.

We've cleaned up all the outstanding issues with the at-gun minus two. The larger of the two should be done tonight. Then I need to focus on completing our other work in progress. After that I will go back and finish the two player version of the at-gun.

Upvote 0
I just want to say I check this thread every day for more news on the release. I'm really anticipating this thing and can't wait till the end of the month. :D

Post more pics! Any progress on the German version you can show us?

When this thing comes out, I'm probably gonna add it to every official map I can.

Sounds like you guys have really done your homework on every aspect of this thing. Really can't wait, dudes!

Upvote 0
The shell ejection looks awful. You should really use a mesh emitter instead. More dynamic and you could flag the emitter as high detail.

The animations from that time were changed a bit, I believe. Remember though, that Lex and Teufelhund are learning ALL of this virtually on their own and it really is trial and error. Working with this game is very complex compared to anything they have done before. I think they've done a great job considering where they started and what they have had to work with. As for the emitter, I have no idea how that would fit into the model making process or coding and I'm sure neither of our guys even heard of that as an option, if it is.

There is a 'known' bug/issue list published with the beta1 release. Later this weekend I hope to get a specific '45mm Development' thread going where we can centralize feedback and updates.

Upvote 0
it's really easy, if I didn't have to go to work in about 10 minutes I could make you one in under 20 minutes.

You can attach one via code to a bone. As for triggering it I'm not completely sure.

Edit: I'm retarded, I can't remember how to give particles physics. It can be done though,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update:

We have a few nice changes/improvements for the 45mm. We will be releasing the gun along with 'TractorWorks' final version soon. Changes include ability to blow the gun up with satchels; able to better shot gunner; gunner takes grenade damage; other physics tweaks that makes the gun perform more proper.

Just a little teaser.

bt45a.jpg

Upvote 0