• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation M1937 Anti-tank Gun Video/Screens

wow, really good.

the animation is a bit strange, but i don't think people will stare at it all the time. so it's much better than no animation at all.
keep it up guys!

Q: if i decide to give this gun to the german team on my map with the B-UseAxisTrue(or something like that) will there be the screaming in russian also?

Animation is still being tweaked. The project is more than ready for release, but we still consider it 'alpha' since we have 5 weeks to the next deadline. In fact, several items are still being tweaked as we test differing scenarios.

No. The gun is Russian only. Infantry only also...no tanker role can use it. We plan to release German specific models in the near future. Focus now is finishing this one and getting the BT7 completed, that work is finally moving again.

Upvote 0
Nice peek at the anim there - thanks for that, looking forward to it even more.

On a side note: Nice sneak peek at the Traktorniy Zavod model there lads - you may wanna check the legend on the front though - I may be wrong but I don't think they would put just "Traktornaya" there as it's feminine and usually used in conjunction with Ulitsa (street) - also feminine.

In present-day Volgograd the sign says: "Volgogradskiy Traktorniy Zavod Imeni F.E. Dzerzhinskogo" or Volgograd Tractor Factory named after/for Felix Dzerzhinskiy - all masculine nouns and adjectives.

the_famous_stalingrad_(volgograd)_tractor_factory.jpg

Traktorniy_pic.jpg

Anyone preparing their 'go nit-pick some place else' response please think about this:

A model of Harvard Business School, main admin building, with just the word 'Bizniz' on the front.

How would that look?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's all good, we all shoot ourselves in the foot every once in a while. One thing to note though is After-Hourz has several WWII buffs, Slyk being one of them. We try our best to get everything as historically accurate as possible while taking in considerations for gameplay. If we put something on a building, it's generally because we've found a picture showing that it was there in the first place ;)

Upvote 0
Nestor,

Thanks for the comments and pictures. I have some tweaking to do on the entry, still need to put that big hole in it. I'll have some info on the map later, not quite ready to show much other than 'gimmes' via the 45 etc.

Can you tell me the point of reference the black and white was taken? I half want to think it is of the main avenue through the middle of the grounds, with the entry/gatehouse (whatever you want to call it) below or behind the camera position. If not there, I would guess either east side, with the apartment complex to the upper right. I don't have the aerial handy (at work now) to compare angles/structures. This is why I bugged you so much months ago about historical reference photos...the b&w you posted helps a lot though! Definately need to pinpoint the angle of view.

Any help is appreciated. I've been stitching together images and guessing at too much but feel the footprint, if nothing else, is accurate to within a couple meters.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately all I have is that 'photo of a photo' for now so I can't throw any more light at all on the matter but, if I ever get any more trac fac photos in my own personal collection I will be sure to let you know.

Did the one you used come from the site about the Croatian troops in Stalingrad? That pic will haunt me now :)

Anyway, back on-topic, the shell casing seems to jump to the left after it comes to rest in the animation. But I'm sure you guys already know that.

Also - if you ever want to revisit or tweak the modelling of the 45 (i.e. you find you are under-budget with the polies) then you can get more detail from the pics that I took last summer here: http://www.redstarblackcross.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9

there are basically enough fiddly bits in there that you could prolly take it up to 20,000 polies without doing all the levers, bells and whistles - I just pity the poor sod who would have to bone it and animate the loading ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyway, back on-topic, the shell casing seems to jump to the left after it comes to rest in the animation. But I'm sure you guys already know that.

Also - if you ever want to revisit or tweak the modelling of the 45 (i.e. you find you are under-budget with the polies) then you can get more detail from the pics that I took last summer here: ://www.redstarblackcross.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9

there are basically enough fiddly bits in there that you could prolly take it up to 20,000 polies without doing all the levers, bells and whistles - I just pity the poor sod who would have to bone it and animate the loading ;)

The "poor sod" would be Lex. :) We would probably push him over the edge if we did this to him now. The shell animation is a work in progress. I have not done a good job of explaining it to Lex or remembering it from my days w/ the 105mm howitzer (which is my reference point). Old age....

Found a few things on YouTube that will show it better than I can explain it.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Good stuff.

Upvote 0
Hmm - not much use - they only like showing footage of guns firing rather than reloading - at about 1:01:50 it looks like a 45mm firing but not reloading and not much detail.

It's worth watching the vid anyway, you can find a link in http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15727 with google vid and torrent links. But you have to try not to laugh when they describe the Sovs getting their butts handed to them on a plate in, for example, June 1942 as "The heroic forces dealt the invaders a heavy blow but STILL they came on".

Also notable is the way an 80 minute video manages to avoid a single mention of Stalin (it WAS 1962 after all) - it musta taken them months to script that.

BTW Mrs Makhno (who is from Volgograd) reckons that the inscription above the gate makes no sense (unless there's another gate along the wall with a feminine noun on it)

- so it's reality that is at fault :D

as usual :)

Old age.....

But it says you're a JUNIOR member :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My wife also thought it was a weird choice of text on the sign. No idea. I have dug through countless web sites and books looking for more definative pictures, especially of the entire building. I used a process of elimination based on the architecture, aerial photos, and the 'Fire on the Volga' web site's 3D model pictures. That all led me to position the building as I did, which I'll show you soon. I have the footprint in good scale to the other structures but again, I had to extrapolate the look of the facade from that one picture. I would be ever grateful for images of the entire facade and/or of the admin building due south. I know there must be more resources out there. Any help would be appreciated.

My wife's good friend was in the city three years ago and sent me a couple books and dozens of tourist post card packs, but none had any useful images. Short of going there myself, I'm fast running out of ideas. If your wife has friends/family still there, I would certainly agree to bribery for any clarity they could shed via photos etc. ;)

Thanks for the interest, Nestor. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
LOL - self pwnt!!!

I had a sneaking suspicion I was shooting myself in the foot when I posted it :rolleyes:

That'll learn me.

Right, I'm off to Bizniz School for extra Russian lessons :D

*note to self - if ever u hear a little voice in the back of ur mind saying 'ur being an ass' - listen; it's prolly right*

The thing which amazed me the most is that you had feets left to shoot.
Take some other lessons to they could be usefull in the long terms.

Upvote 0