• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation M1937 Anti-tank Gun Video/Screens

Slyk

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006
www.after-hourz.com
The AHz Red Orchestra Development team is pleased to announce the release of the first in-game Anti-Tank gun for Red Orchestra. The AT-Gun is the Russian M1937 45mm anti-tank gun.

The M1937 AT-Gun will provide another level of depth to mappers and increased game play to the RO community as a much requested enhancement to RO. The M1937 saw service throughout the war but played it’s most important role in the early war years. The model, skins and animations were wonderfully done by Lex. Scripting and audio command editing was done by Devildog (Teufelhund) and Slyk's wife contributed the source voice commands. Slyk acted as the task master and tester.

The M1937 will provide numerous features and a few new tricks adding another dimension to RO. The design of an AT-Gun base gun class will provide a foundation to allow for the rapid development of not only new anti-tank guns, but a starting point for mortars and pillboxes with or without turrets. Developing the anti-tank gun along the lines of a vehicle (actor) will allow the gun to be spawned, manned, destroyed and respawned as the map developer sees fit.

The M1937 will provide the mapper with a one or two player crew option. In single-crew mode (default), the player will attach straight to the gun as the Gunner. The Gunner will have three views; on the sight (default view), looking over the gun shield, and looking through binoculars. This is similar to the current views of a tank commander. In two-crew mode, the first player will attach to the left rear trail as the Gun Commander. The Gun Commander will be able to look over the gun shield and use binoculars to spot targets. The second player will attach as the Gunner and will be limited to the “on the sight” view. The two-crew mode is designed to more accurately reflect reality and provide cooperative play as a team.

The M1937 will be crewed only by non-tanker roles. The M1937 will have both AP and HE ammunition. The gun will be fixed and can not be moved. A future enhancement may allow the player in the Gun Commander position to reposition the gun on a different azimuth to engage targets outside traverse limits.

The M1937 will make its map debut in the final version of “Berezina”.

Our development pipeline also includes the following vehicles/weapons currently in development and testing.
1. KV1 early war tank with infantry rider capability and improved armor ratings over the KV1-S
2. Russian Gaz troop transport with infantry rider capability
3. German pak38 and pak40 anti-tank guns
4. Multi-service medium mortar

================

The M1937 video can be downloaded here and is 1:38 long: http://www.after-hourz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10748

Below are a few 'teaser' screenshots.

Rear view:
M1937_1.jpg

Rear flank with user cue:
M1937_2.jpg

Front view:
M1937_3.jpg

Additional screenshots and the video are available at After-Houz.com, in our "Red Orchestra" discussion section: http://www.after-hourz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10748

Last edited:
How come no fps shots?

FPS = frame rates? or FPS = meaing you want 3rd person perspective?
If frames, that has nothing to do with the model. Far less impact than a moving vehicle.
If you are talking about 3rd person views of another user, those will come in time. Actually as soon as I can get good shots done. Bots are a pain in the ass on this gun...they LOVE it. They line up behind you to get at it and then one of them decides to drop a satchel and wipe out the whole bunch... interesting tactic. I will post more shots soon enough.

We are also implementing a shell-ejection animation but that isn't quite ready for public show. You won't get your hands on this piece for a few weeks though. It will also be in a new map I was going to submit on the 15th for round 2 of the mapping competition, but with that date now pushed back six weeks, we'll be holding the model release longer as well.

Upvote 0
We have plenty of options from the base code/model and are looking at providing winter skins as well. This is primarily a fruit of two dedicated individuals who have real lives including work, wives and children, not always in that order. It has been a good six months in development. Once finalized, your collective jaws will drop over some currently-being implemented features. ;)

We will get some screens soon of bots or eachother using the gun.

Upvote 0
Now if only TWI would add it to the game themselves and we get a whole new level to tank maps!

However muchous kudos to you guys and your hard work. I look foward to experimenting with it. How many shots etc does it take to destroy?

Edit: After watching the video my gut instinct says the reload is too fast. Probably its fine for historical acurracy but in terms of balance that thing will have shot 3 shells by the time any tank even spots it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How many shots etc does it take to destroy?

For the M1937, one shot from a PIII will destroy it. I'd have to go back through our research for the actually thickness of the shield. The gun / gun shield was obviously not designed to withstand large calibar weapons.

Keep in mind it is small and has a high rate of fire. Watch the video Slyk made. Unless you get a lucky first shot, it will create a good amount of havoc.

Upvote 0
For the M1937, one shot from a PIII will destroy it. I'd have to go back through our research for the actually thickness of the shield. The gun / gun shield was obviously not designed to withstand large calibar weapons.

Keep in mind it is small and has a high rate of fire. Watch the video Slyk made. Unless you get a lucky first shot, it will create a good amount of havoc.

In a couple scenes, especially a PzIII coming up to the village from the north, I am shooting over the wheatfield. I edited out about three shots in that sequence. I couldn't see enough of the tank to fire accurately and just chucked rounds at it. The AI missed me about four times, all short. Had the AI been a human, I would have at best gotten two rounds off and then been killed. You can take out a PzIII in two shots, but that first one has to be nearly perfect. Halftracks will sustain two shots as well and if you see some shots, I miss. You reload quickly but you have to count for leading the target etc. And the HE rounds move SO slowly that you really need to lead and elevate extra for their drop off.

We have talked about altering the fire rate in relation to a one or two man crew. Regardless, it may fire fast but it has to hit the target and knock it out fast...and being a stationary weapon, it has a very very short life expectancy. The one thing I personally want to figure out is a random spawning of the weapon, at least adding some variety to each round and eliminating the Germans from shelling it from long range every time before it can do any damage.

Thanks for the feedback though. We wanted to get this out to the community asap and have worked through a lot of challenges. With the competition being pushed back, we'll be holding off on release, but that will allow us to do a lot more tweaking and maybe additional development, time will tell.

Upvote 0
No. Team specific, and infantry roles only. We have plans to develop the pak38 and 40 which will give mappers a German weapon.

As for accuracy on stats, we are being very diligent to get it as accurate as possible and I think the settings are very good. Of course someone will always complain or think they know better. In that case, folks are free to make mutators for it but we will strictly prohibit direct changes/modifications to the files. If mappers/modders want to alter setting, they will need to do it via mutators or develop their own versions from scratch.

Upvote 0