• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Luger, G43, and MG42?

The Luger IS in the game. as anti tank rifle man you can use it. i would upload a screenshot, but it seems like TWI or valve has set RO2 beta to private and not public so i can't upload it with steam right now.

If you don't believe me, go on a nearly full fallen fighters server. the german anti tank class has it.

This is the Anti tank's sidearm: A mauser c96

400px-C96Pistol.jpg

Upvote 0
The Luger IS in the game. as anti tank rifle man you can use it. i would upload a screenshot, but it seems like TWI or valve has set RO2 beta to private and not public so i can't upload it with steam right now.

If you don't believe me, go on a nearly full fallen fighters server. the german anti tank class has it.

Thats a C96, not a luger.

Edit: dont watch TV while surfing forums, or you'll be the last one to reply to things everytime. XD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
THe MG42 is designated 42 because that is the year it entered service with the German army. It would not have been at Stalingrad.

Yes, the MG-42 entered service in 1942. I'm not really sure how that does not mean it wasn't there, considering Stalingrad occurred mid/late 1942 and into early 1943.

Granted, the MG-42 was not widely produced (relative to the numbers in subsequent years) and distributed, but it has been claimed that a very limited number of MG-42s or their prototypes actually saw limited action in Africa, which ended in early 1942.

It's evident that the MG-42 did not see extensive service in Stalingrad, but that does not mean it wasn't there entirely. There had to be someone who had it in Stalingrad, just like the MkB-42 (which, like the MG-42, was made in 1942).

Upvote 0
I would like to add that the MG42 and G43 are not in the game because of the timeline. However, why don't German Officers have the choice of the old school luger, eh?!!!?!!!

I believe it was said the MG42 wasnt used in stalingrad or something like that, and thus it wasnt included.

THe MG42 is designated 42 because that is the year it entered service with the German army. It would not have been at Stalingrad.

IR541942.jpg

Upvote 0
too bad the battle of Stalingrad begun on mid-to-late August 1942 :p

it's been said a million times, the MG42 will be included as a patch (so will other tanks and stuff).
the G43 will not be included (unless its modded in) because it didn't exist yet, however we have the prototype, the G41.

Regarding the luger i don't think any officers on the field had them, but it would be nice as an unlockable sidearm for the platoon comanders and stuff. :)

The MG42 was not in Stalingrad. Someone else mentioned it as well. There may have been some of the prototypes the MG42 was based on, the MG39/41 in Stalingrad, but looking that up, there were very few of them ever made in total.
The first documented use of the MG 42 was in October 1942 in Africa. Keep in mind the Desert campaign was very prominent in Hitler's mind during late 1942 to early 1943, right when Stalingrad was going on. Hitler supported Rommel at the time and the first MG42's were sent to prevent the Allies from pushign the Germans out of Africa.
By November 1942, the Germans at Stalingrad were surrounded by the Soviet forces from operation Uranus. From that point on, few supplies and ammunition were able to get through, and the new MG42's were not amongst those few supplies.
I've yet to see anything historical to the contrary, but would be interested if something is out there.

Upvote 0

Had to do a bit of work to check this out. Neat.
This is a message from the 54th Infantry regiment indicating it's state, the top is the trench or fighting strength then equipment. The bottom is a list of equipment that is not yet present or has failed.
The 54th Infanterie Regiment (Jager regiment can also be used) was part of the 100th Light Infantry division. They were part of the initial invasion of Russia. They did take part in Stalingrad and were essentially wiped out in Dec 1942 and went into reserve. They were brought up again after 1943 on onwards to fight in The Caucasus, Croatia etc.
This regiment seemed to have 4 MG42's, 1 of which was not operational. Interesting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The MG42 was in Stalingrad.

And before the MG42 there were thousands of prototypes produced which had very similar characteristics but looked more like the MG34.

I'll dig up the numbers, hang on.

MG42:
1942 17.915
1943 116.725

MG34/41 ( Not actual prototype MG42 but MG34 with increased firerate, similar performance though )
1942 1,707

MG39/41 ( Actual prototype and almost identical )
Unkown numbers for all I know. But I would guess somewhere around 1000 units as that was usually the case for field trials.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you know where that info is on here? I was trying to find it earlier.

The "status report" note posted a few above here is more accurate evidence than just shipping manifests keep in mind. Most of what was shipped TO Stalingrad after Oct 1942 never made it to the troops inside the encirclement, despite what a manifest said in Germany in regards to what was put on a train.

Evidence seems to suggest a very very limited number of MG42's might have been at Stalingrad . So, if they turn up in game, it should be in very limited numbers, however that might be accomplished in game. Perhaps one per German team per map, or a couple randomly placed around the map to be picked up if they are found?

Upvote 0
There is documents showing orders of the MG42 being shipped into stalingrad. It most definetely made it into stalingrad and in large numbers, unlike the G41, MKb42 and AVT-40.

The G41 was in Stalingrad in larger numbers than the MG42....

Most especially considering there are actually pictures of German soldiers with G41s in Stalingrad, while all we have for the MG42 is unit cards.

Upvote 0