• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Fix] Losing connection within 60 seconds? Thomson / BT / etc routers

Morello

Administrator
Mar 17, 2006
If you are losing connection to the server, either timing out or seeing people running into walls, within a few seconds of joining, then you are probably experiencing a common problem with a certain brand of routers.

This is caused by a faulty rule on routers made by Thomson, or rebadged Thomsons. This includes:

• All Thomson / Speedtouch routers
  • BT Homehubs (version 1 and 2)
  • Be Boxes
  • BigPond routers
  • O2 Wireless routers
  • probably many more
If you are have telnet access to your router then you may be able to remove the faulty rule. Obviously only attempt this if you are comfortable and confident with doing so. Woulfe posted a video tutorial from my previous instructions that covers it here:

Killing Floor / Monday Night Combat / Homefront BT Home Hub and Thomson router telnet fix tutorial - YouTube

If you would rather read how to do it, instructions are below.

Spoiler!

This will also solve the same problem in other games on Steam that use the Steam master servers.

If for some reason this fix does not work for you, such as not having telnet access, you have a few workarounds that should minimise the problem:

• connect to a game and when it disconnects you open the console with the ` or ' key and type reconnect (you may have to do this twice)
  • wait longer than 1 minute after refreshing the server list to join the game
  • add servers to your favourites and instead of using the Ranked / Unranked options, click favourites and connect from there - note that you will probably have to wait a minute before joining these anyway
  • join on friends through Steam
  • use the Steam server browser from outside of the game to connect
If you have a router which is not any of the above then this fix may or may not work. If may be helpful to note down in this thread which other routers this problem occurs in, and whether this fix works or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fok
No, although you are more than welcome to try replacing the files as detailed above. I would suggest if you are having speed hack detected problems that you visit www.pingtest.net and run a few tests at different times of the day. If you have any packet loss then that is the cause and you will need to speak with your ISP or / and check your hardware and software to find out what is causing it.

Upvote 0
This workaround solution worked fine up until last patch week ago, then it started to disconnect, as soon as it connected to server or like 5-10 sec after it(Soldiers running straightforward and everything else freezed).

I use Thomson ST780i wireless router.

Please see to this issue asap as I expect less problems, not more, as development cycle goes on. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Just started having this problem.

I have a BT homehub (unfortunately).

The new master server files fix doesn't work for me :(

My internet connection actually drops completely, so reconnecting doesn't work. After I close RO and wait a few mins my connection comes back.

If anyone has any thoughts?

I've tried reinstalling network drivers, try -tcp path addition etc.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Upvote 0
The Thomson router fix isn't working any more.

By letting Steam write new files, you overwrite the edited Masterserver files. This allows you to see servers in the browser. However, when you connect to them, you'll be kicked off within 60 seconds.

Best solution is to use the updated Masterserver files ( [url]https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1452-HCVB-6984[/URL] ) and find servers using 'recently played' or Gametracker and the console command 'connect xx.yy.zz'.

Killing Floor is totally borked at the moment (for me at least), and even the updated Masterserver files will get you disconnected within a minute.

Would be great if some guys could pester Steam about this, as I feel I've wasted enough time on the issue already.

Upvote 0
My internet connection actually drops completely, so reconnecting doesn't work. After I close RO and wait a few mins my connection comes back.
Sometimes because of the rule the router breaks - if you look at it after this has happened it has probably reset itself. Your only option is probably to use the Steam server browser and join a game from that.

Upvote 0
Pretty much registered to say that I'm also experiencing this problem and that I don't intend to purchase another game from Tripwire after this. I bought this game in good faith, my computer surpasses the system requirements, and it simply doesn't work online. I am very disappointed, too, as it sounds like a lot of fun, from what I've heard. It's unacceptable.

Upvote 0
It does work online, you just have to use a workaround. I agree that it is unacceptable, you should be complaining to the manufacturer of your router as it is a fault with them that is causing the issue. Note that this affects all games that use the Steam master servers, not just TWI games.

Upvote 0
And yet a game like Day of Defeat: Source, which uses the Steam masterservers, works flawlessly.
It shouldn't, which is one of the reasons why the Steam support article is there in the first place. If you are loading DoD:S and then clicking on Internet, loading the server list via the "find servers" option and joining a game within 60 seconds it should time out after those 60 seconds. If it definitely doesn't then I'd be interested in you posting your masterserver2.vdf file here so I can check which ports are listed.

This is based on you having a Be router.

Upvote 0
I'm having random disconnections.

I'm in Canada under a little Indie ISP that uses Bell cables.
My router is WRT54GP2

My system specs:

AMD 6870 1gb

AMD 955 BE 3.2GHZ

4GB of DDR3 Ram

I never had this issue in the beta (pre-launch) but now as I pick this game up again I get them randomly...I've tried the masterserver vdf, and port forwarding and neither worked.

Sometimes I can play for 1 or 2 maps without disconnections but other times it's within a minute. It only occurs in Red Orchestra 2 oddly enough.

Edit: That suppress SteamInfo command worked. But only seems to work if I use proper casing. (steaminfo doesn't work, although I've played 4 hours last night with suppress SteamInfo.) Then again it might be something else..

This still doesn't happen in any other game though. But thankfully I got 4 hours in last night!

Last edited:
Upvote 0