• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Looking to Buy RO...

Vaux

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 9, 2009
Hey guys, what is up, I've been hesitant to buy RO for a LONG long time... I don't know why, probably just because i've been busy with all the other games outside of Steam, I was thinking i should find a Guest Pass key for Red Orchestra, and what better place then the Official forums, right?

So if you could let me use a Guest Pass key, i would be eternally grateful.

God Bless (PS: Please Send it VIA PM, Thanks) My steam id is zpainful, if youd rather do it that way, i dont mind:)

-Vaux

Last edited:
Don't think there are many people still with guest passes as they were first brought in about a year ago and have either been given away or expired. Dont even know if new purchasers get a guest pass any more, though im sure someone will know. You may be lucky if TW have another free weekend like with one of the mods having a big release or something, though I wouldn't hold your breath.

If no one does have a guest pass, I guess the best thing to do is just watch some videos, read some reviews and even player threads here on the forums and see if it sounds like your cup of tea. And for the price RO is these days there aint much else comparible that you can get for the same cost these days. 3 or so drinks on a night out or many hours of fun. :D

Upvote 0
Hows that? just 2 weeks ago i saw people handing some out on the forums. (and steam forums)

and it was this month.of 09

perhaps you were thinking of the $5 weekend sale a little while back???? shoulda just bought it then......look for the release of DH as a Steam mod...bound to be another $5 sale.

to think....spent $40 one a game and never regretted it.

Upvote 0
Heh, i got a guest pass key, although, this game is fun an all, just too plastic imo
maybe when they "ever" update to unreal 3 engine, anyways, peace!

Fair enough.. but often the 'Plastic' feel of games stems from the overuse of shaders.. something that is more common in the UE3 generation of games.. i think 'plastic game' might not mean the same thing to you and I :]

Anywho..cheers.. probably see you whenever the infamous 'Game 2' comes out

Upvote 0
Dunno what too plastic actually means but if you are reluctant to purchase RO simply because it's older tech, then I doubt any Unreal 3 version of the game will be for you either because the visuals were never the draw of the game.
Well, you are right on the visuals philosophy part.
But I'm sure that the UE3.0 title will look great, Tripwire Interactive uses very sharp textures, they already made Ostfront 41-45 look way better than most UE2 titles... I'm sure they can pull off the same stunt with GAME 2.

Upvote 0
Well, you are right on the visuals philosophy part.
But I'm sure that the UE3.0 title will look great, Tripwire Interactive uses very sharp textures, they already made Ostfront 41-45 look way better than most UE2 titles... I'm sure they can pull off the same stunt with GAME 2.

oh im not surmising at all what TWI are going to do, the visuals wil be fine i know that - i just mean if a guy trys RO and doesn't get into it then , if there is to be the hyperthetical Unreal 3 engine version,hopefully he wont get into that either - if it's going to be the kinda game most of us wish for.
If however many who rejected Ro do find themselves liking the followup it will probably be because along the way TWI have compromised the game somewhat to accomodate these types, but in doing so they obviously risk origional fans disatisfaction.

Thats not a set in stone of course, but something i suspect when i think of sequels/follow ups of games of this type.

As for the graphics, dont forget this game isn't even announced let alone released and already Unreal 3 is hardly the cutting edge of visuals anymore.
But hopefully just as was the case in RO - It doesn't matter about those who fall at the first superficial hurdle of the graphics, because you can be sure they wouldn't have lasted the gameplay course anyway.

Upvote 0
If however many who rejected Ro do find themselves liking the followup it will probably be because along the way TWI have compromised the game somewhat to accomodate these types, but in doing so they obviously risk origional fans disatisfaction.

Thats not a set in stone of course, but something i suspect when i think of sequels/follow ups of games of this type.
Or, just perhaps, the developer has learned how to make the same gameplay that has kept all of you lot hooked for so long more accessible. The aim would be to make it easier to get into the game, without people jumping in and having no clue what is going on. Provide all the same hooks (and much more) for those who love what we have done before. But add in more stuff (game types, perhaps) that are more suited to slightly more "casual" players.

Can such a thing be done. Yes. Of course it can. Just because it is "difficult" doesn't mean it cannot or should not be done :)

Upvote 0
Or, just perhaps, the developer has learned how to make the same gameplay that has kept all of you lot hooked for so long more accessible. The aim would be to make it easier to get into the game, without people jumping in and having no clue what is going on. Provide all the same hooks (and much more) for those who love what we have done before. But add in more stuff (game types, perhaps) that are more suited to slightly more "casual" players.

Can such a thing be done. Yes. Of course it can. Just because it is "difficult" doesn't mean it cannot or should not be done :)

Wait what?

Upvote 0