• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Looking for first hand accounts of WW1

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
As the title says, I'm looking for war diaries and other first hand accounts from World War 1. I'm currently trying to write a novel about WW1, and the more information I can get the better, as I want to make it as authentic as possible.
As I'm currently traveling, I would prefer to get an ebook however! That might narrow down the list a bit, but I hope there's something out there.
I have ofcourse read 'All quiet on the Western front', a book that should not be missed by anybody with any interest in any war as far as I'm concerned, and also a book called 'Somme Mud' by E.P.F Lynch. Anybody know anything else?

Thanks Lt_Kettch! I'd never heard of Storm of Steel. I managed to find a PDF of it, so I'll try converting it into an .epub. I read a little bit of it and it seems quite good, so I'm sure it will be helpful :) I'll keep a lookout for Rommel's book as well. I don't think Google Translate will make for a very compelling read, but I'll try that website as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check that out as well :)

So here is another question that's very specific :p I want to write about the Christmas truce of 1914, and I want one of the main characters to start singing a song that then gets heard by the British across No Man's Land, who answer with a song of their own, neither of which soldiers on opposing sides know before they start singing Silent Night which both sides DO know and to which they both sing along. I've been looking around for songs like this that soldiers might have known at the time but most of what I find are marching songs which do not have the appropriate tone, since they are too cheerful and warlike. I'm looking for something close to 'Ich hatt einen Kameraden' in tone, I suppose, though I want to keep that song for a later scene where they use the truce to bury the dead. It needs to be kind of sad and melancholy but possibly something that ends in a more hopeful tone :p
Both German and British songs would be good too, one for each army respectively so the Germans can start off and the British answer. If nothing can be found than I might have to have the character make up a song, but I would prefer a song that everybody would know and could sing to.

The mood would be similar to something like this scene from The Front Line:

http://youtu.be/Q_4OgFAuPVE?t=1h36m50s

(on a sidenote, Korean war movies are excellent!)

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check that out as well :)

So here is another question that's very specific :p I want to write about the Christmas truce of 1914, and I want one of the main characters to start singing a song that then gets heard by the British across No Man's Land, who answer with a song of their own, neither of which soldiers on opposing sides know before they start singing Silent Night which both sides DO know and to which they both sing along.

I recommend you get in touch with the lads from the game 'Verdun'. I am sure you can reach them at [email protected] or at their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VerdunGame/ . I have played with them ingame, and they talk to their customers all the time. All the best with your book, keep us informed mate. Dave

Upvote 0