• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Longer Medic Buffs

Humam2104

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2020
Medic buffs are more noticeable now, but they're kind of short . I think 10 seconds for these buffs might make it a little more worthwhile, rather than keeping the medic busy buffing a lot in certain situations. Relieving the pressure on medics would be a nice thing.

rather than keeping the medic busy buffing a lot in certain situations
As a fan of playing the medic, keeping busy with your obligation is a part of the challenge/fun. While I don't support some of the ways that it has been said so far, I agree with others when they essentially say, "there's supposed to be pressure on the medic (and every perk) as the number of teammates and difficulty settings go up."

I sympathize with you if you're looking to do less babysitting and more offense, but the medic is what it is and people like it. IMO, the medic is mostly there for when SHTF, which doesn't often happen to a group of organized, veteran players. The medic is more for noob support — to give them the peace of mind to focus on offense in a calm, cool, and collected way, and graduate to higher difficulty settings after they get their understanding of their perk to a point where they can kill zeds prior to getting injured. If game dynamics turns medic from coach and into a crutch, players won't hone the dynamics necessary to graduate to the next difficulty setting, if that is their goal.

If that isn't your goal and you want to be a more offensively-minded medic, I say go for it. Just be transparent about that and understand if some groups give you the boot.

If you're not doing so already, consider a LLLLL skill tree and the 401, goblin, and 101 loadout. While throwers are convenient and a fully-upgraded 301/goblin combo will provide more DPS support and healing per dart, TWI has decided that the pros and cons of being a medic revolves around stacking buffs rather than buff duration. Thus, more darts = higher chance of a potentially effective medic, especially during hectic/crowded scenarios where not all darts reach their intended target.

While I hate the 401's lousy accuracy and low DPS, its ability to quickly regenerate weak darts will fully stack a teammate very quickly and long enough for them to get themselves out of a bad situation. What might be part of your frustration is teammates who don't understand how to make your job easier/effective, which requires tactful coaching on your part, rather than a change in the game dynamics.

One way to do that is to publically praise any teammate who makes your job easier. Thank them. Give them dosh. Heal/buff them first and more often. When I'm playing a heal-focused medic I am frequently switching to the 101 to provide a nearby teammate with a couple of darts, regardless of their level of health, especially if they're about to get hit.

Maybe you already do all of my suggestions. I'm no expert and it's entirely possible that you've considered all of this and know more about being a medic than I do. That is part of why I'm not completely adverse to finding a compromise with what you want and how the game currently plays. Perhaps, in KF3, TWI could...
  • create a more robust upgrade system in the trader pod which could allow for adding healing darts to any weapon or to upgrade the current darts to last longer for 2000 dosh,
  • create more options for custom difficulty settings that are publically displayed so that other players know what to expect when joining a game,
  • add the Egghead/Chemist and Mystic perks that I've detailed in other threads, which provides a boost to healing/buffs as perk synergies, or
  • add the Rioter Tool that got some support in the "give us weapon suggestions" thread that TWI posted. I offered several variety of options, such as buff-only, overcharge function, the ability to cause a zed to permanently enrage but also attack anything nearby, including other zeds... which was offset by price, weight, and cost of ammo, if any. This item could be used by any perk and, if it is a 1-to-1 correlation with the Rioter's Rally effect, could arguably last longer than medic skill buffs.
I think there is some room for adding what you want while retaining balance, but simply adding more benefits to an already beneficial perk is asking too much. I'd want to see any boon to buff duration also come with a cost of some sort.

Upvote 0
No buffs are needed, medics have a wide array of healing options, it's all up to the player's spatial awareness.

Play Normal or Hard and buy the healthrower if 6p SUI and HoE feel too difficult.
Seconding this. I already made a writeup on why Medic is too good in the General Discussion board.

Adding even more time to the Medic's boosts would be yet another example of power creep on an already strong class.

Upvote 0