• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Localized damage, great! But...

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
So Heroes Of Stalingrad will have localized damage. Get shot in the shoulder / arm, your aiming gets less accurate, you can bandage wounds, etc. Sounds pretty cool.

But I kinda worry about the "lung shot", which according to the PC Gamer article, causes you to die a slow death. Now, I'm not sure if "slow deaths" are necessary in a game like RO. Especially if you can still fire your weapon after getting hit in the lungs. I can already imagine: you shoot someone in the lungs at close range with a Kar98k, he should have died but he survives, and in turn he kills you. Or you shoot him in the back, he turns around and shoots you. Doesn't sound like fun.

I expect nonsense like that in CoD, not RO. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the new wound system (especially the instant black screen and accuracy impedement). But please don't mess this up, TW. :p

Part of what makes RO so great are the one-shot kills! I know that sometimes gunshot wounds don't kill people right away, they might live for a couple of seconds / minutes and then it's over. But incapacitation equals death in RO. And I hope it stays that way.

Well obviously he won't just drop dead when you shoot him in the lungs, just keep shooting him until sure of his death ;) A nice bayo as a "Finish him!" move would be lovely as well.

The "slowly dying" period doesn't need to be necessarily be too long, so people won't get frustrated with zombie people walking around. I bet you won't even be able to aim properly during this period, and if you get shot; it'll be pure luck.

It's a cool idea to me TBH. Adds randomness to the online play, but not too unpredictable that it gets frustrating.

Upvote 0
I hope, but I'm already not liking how Tripwire is trying to make this game accessible for 'everyone'. What makes RO so great is the unforgiving realism and combat that might not be for 'everyone'. I would hate to have to stop supporting one of my favorites titles because TWI wanted to make it 'casual gamer' friendly and then come the hordes of COD and CS kiddies.

Upvote 0
Who continues fighting with a bullet in their chest?

People who win medals. :p

Seriously though, depending on the type of bullet that hits you, a non-immediately lethal body shot should affect you, ranging from a heavy stun from a pistol round to a rifle/mg round knocking you to the ground and making you drop your weapon.

Also, will players be awarded points for wounding enemies? Maybe one point for a wound (only one, no matter how many times you wound the person), and two points for a kill?

Upvote 0
Dont you usually when hit even in a fatal position for the first split second due to adrenaline not notice the wound? Atleast thats the case when i usually wound myself (although those were non fatal wounds :p).

But even when hit in the lung or watever, depending on the stoppingpower somewhat of the bullet doesnt that decide wether you just drop down immediately, or can still hip your ppsh for the last half a second.

Upvote 0
The lungs are vital organs. That's why hunters always aim for the lungs or the heart, because it's the quickest and most humane kill.

All I'm saying is, a chest shot, definitely from a larger caliber, should ALWAYS be a kill. Just like it's always been in RO. You get shot through the lungs, that's it, man. You'd be more concerned about your last breath leaving your blood-clogged windpipe , than you would be about continuing to fight.

Upvote 0
But even when hit in the lung or watever, depending on the stoppingpower somewhat of the bullet doesnt that decide wether you just drop down immediately, or can still hip your ppsh for the last half a second.

This is a good point. A perforated lung still gives you a very limited but real amount of time you can be effective. True, you're done for the fight (and possibly your life), but it could take maybe up to 15 seconds until you would really get light-headed.

When you get a chest shot (assuming it's not through the heart), perforating a lung, not only does your lung start to fill with blood, but you can't effectively breath with your other lung either. The reason is, the lungs are inflated by the vacuum made by the movement of your diaphragm. When you have a hole in your chest, and your diaphram moves down, instead of creating a vacuum to inflate your lungs (drawing air in), it sucks in air through the hole in your chest. These severely limits the effectiveness of breathing. I guess it would be like trying to hold your breath while fighting. When your blood is pumping hard, you need even more oxygen - so that would make things worse.

Anyway, during those few seconds, you can still fire off some shots before you pass out / collapse.

Upvote 0
This is a good point. A perforated lung still gives you a very limited but real amount of time you can be effective. True, you're done for the fight (and possibly your life), but it could take maybe up to 15 seconds until you would really get light-headed.

When you get a chest shot (assuming it's not through the heart), perforating a lung, not only does your lung start to fill with blood, but you can't effectively breath with your other lung either. The reason is, the lungs are inflated by the vacuum made by the movement of your diaphragm. When you have a hole in your chest, and your diaphram moves down, instead of creating a vacuum to inflate your lungs (drawing air in), it sucks in air through the hole in your chest. These severely limits the effectiveness of breathing. I guess it would be like trying to hold your breath while fighting. When your blood is pumping hard, you need even more oxygen - so that would make things worse.

Anyway, during those few seconds, you can still fire off some shots before you pass out / collapse.
as far as im concerned, the lung shot sucks. even if u dont die immediately u definitely drop to the ground. and once ur on the ground u are dieing anyway so wtf i think its complete bs. it should be dropped. and not to sound hostile to Rabid Penguin but idc what kinda bullet gets logged in ur chest lung or what ever, u drop to the floor. and mormegil, what u said about vaccum and blood and stuff is true, that doesnt prove that you arent nocked onto the ground. i think the lung shot could be and prolly will be overdone. but maybe done right then meh. it just sounds like an idea that until done right if ever is almost inevitable to be overdone or just bad insome way.

Upvote 0
Thats why i said depending on the stoppingpower.
You live for a while, even if a wound is lethal, if a bullet goes in and out cleanly with a small entry and exit hole adrenaline makes it that you possibly dont even notice it straight away. You shouldnt play normally, but it can actually mean a difference between weapon calibers when hitting someone. It just should be overdone so it feels like everybody gets a form of martyrdom when they die.

A rifleround should have plenty of stopping power to knock someone back, but a pistol or smg round is probably a bit different.

Just read a bit about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_power it would be lovely if realistic wounding and ability to control yourself when your fate is already written would be combined to stopping power, as i've seen no game use something like that.

Upvote 0
Thats why i said depending on the stoppingpower.
You live for a while, even if a wound is lethal, if a bullet goes in and out cleanly with a small entry and exit hole adrenaline makes it that you possibly dont even notice it straight away. You shouldnt play normally, but it can actually mean a difference between weapon calibers when hitting someone. It just should be overdone so it feels like everybody gets a form of martyrdom when they die.

A rifleround should have plenty of stopping power to knock someone back, but a pistol or smg round is probably a bit different.

Just read a bit about it: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_power[/URL] it would be lovely if realistic wounding and ability to control yourself when your fate is already written would be combined to stopping power, as i've seen no game use something like that.

As far as stopping power to a pistol round goes, I believe they tend to be about the same energy as being hit with a fast ball (baseball). So in an SMG that can be pretty substantial.

All those movies where you see people flying back after getting shot (even with shotguns) is BS. Newton's laws of motion state the amount of momentum the target/victim gets is equal to the shooter. So unless the shooter is also flying back everytime they fire their gun, it's BS. The energy in the bullet is just more deadly because it's delivered in a small pointy package.

Upvote 0