• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Loading times

Nikolai

Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2006
Trondheim, Norway
In the patch description it said that the patch should decrease loading times, but it hasnt done that for me. If anything it has done the opposite.
Another problem (has nothing to do with the patch, it was like that before) is that when I exit RedOrchestra my computer uses ages to finish the process "RedOrchestra.exe" it uses some time on every game of course, but not nearly as long as this

[RO]Wilsonam said:
Yes, it takes a while to unload from memory. Just check that none of the config settings have changed with the patch, but it shouldn't have increased load times anywhere - what rig are you running?
I checked the ini file and everything was as before, it isnt such a huge problem and the loading probably hasnt increased much.
I have 2.8 ghz p4, ATI radeon 9600, and 512 mb ram, so the game should (and mostly does) run perfectly.
It doesnt spend anymore time at the loading screen than before, but after the loading screen where you pick teams, everything is stands still for some time while the comp. continues to load

Upvote 0
Heres how you do to get beta filesystem for improved loading times!

[RO]Wilsonam said:
And even more improvements!

New Steam Filesystem Beta for RO - Vastly Improved Load Times!!!

One of the things that we try to do as a company is really listen to feedback from our fans. An issue that has probably been mentioned the most has been the map load times. For our recent patch we put a lot of work into optimizations to improve the load times. At the same time Valve has been hard at work developing a new file system which can be used with RO. This new file system will allow Red Orchestra to be run directly from the hard drive instead of through Steam caches. This has a lot of benefits, including vastly improved load times as well as fixing a lot of compatibility issues with anti-virus and other software. This new file system combined with the optimizations that we made for the latest patch result in MUCH faster load times (up to three times faster on some machines).

We're looking for volunteers to help us put this new file system through its paces. This is a beta and as such could have bugs, so PLEASE do not participate unless you’re willing to take that risk. To try the new file system you need to add special parameters to your Steam commandline. You will need to modify the desktop shortcut that launches Steam by adding the following parameters at the end of the commandline [right-click on the shortcut, then Properties and the commandline is in the "Target" box]:

-clientbeta newfs -beta fs

This will launch Steam with the new filesystem for RO. The first tim it will unpack RO to a new directory, and copy all your custom content and config files over to that new directory. Once that is done just launch RO from the Steam UI as usual. For those of you who are making custom maps or mods, we would highly suggest you backup your content before running this beta. Additionally, you’ll need to update any tools that you use to point to the new RO folder. The Red Orchestra install directory will be moving to a new location here:

"\SteamApps\common\red orchestra".

Please report any problems with this new file system beta on our forums, as well as your impression of the differences, and thanks to anyone that participates in this beta. And our thanks to Valve, too!

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8858

Upvote 0
Looks like you put it in the wrong place! The right place goes like this:

Right-click on the DESKTOP shortcut for STEAM (not RO), then Properties and the commandline is in the "Target" box:

-clientbeta newfs -beta fs goes on the end of the "steam.exe" bit.

To clear the problem you've got... with Steam started, right-click on the Red Orchestra line, Properties, Set Launch Options - and clear that box completely!

Hope that helps...

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
Looks like you put it in the wrong place! The right place goes like this:

Right-click on the DESKTOP shortcut for STEAM (not RO), then Properties and the commandline is in the "Target" box:

-clientbeta newfs -beta fs goes on the end of the "steam.exe" bit.

To clear the problem you've got... with Steam started, right-click on the Red Orchestra line, Properties, Set Launch Options - and clear that box completely!

Hope that helps...
oops.. guess I didnt read it well enough before I tried it:eek:
I feel abit stupid now, but I have fixed it now so thanks

Upvote 0
I got that beta thing to work, but now my loading times are extremely looong. I used 4min on konigsplatz before I could get to the screen where I choose which class I want to be and 1 minute more before the lagg stopped and I could something, but then of course I was the only one on the map and I couldnt move. All I could was to fire my gun which didnt even make a sound.
The only time I had such long loading times was when I first got this game, before I followed the tweak guide

Upvote 0