• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Little details you love

- Amazing animations (sometimes I wished RO2 was third person :p)
- Good sounds and voice acting, I still remember when I was sprinting across a street as a German engineer in Fallenfighters, I heard far gunshots, bullets landing near my feet and hitting the hedgehogs while my character was shouting "AH SCHEISSE!!"
- Cover system (!!)
- Blind firing
- Mantling
- Machine guns and how they work in the game
- Brilliant tank interiors

There is so many things I love in RO2, it is an amazing game in overall

Upvote 0
For all of the things RO2 does wrong, it still does a lot more right (a lot of which were mentioned in this topic). Which is why its still my #1 option for fps gaming, but I still have a lot of other genres to play.

I love the grenade knockback and holding your breath and the realistic perspective zoom. I also love crawling up with teammates under suppressing fire or sniper threat like Fallen fighters(hate the map though), especially fun when the leader gets shot and all 4 guys behind him just freeze and start point guns. Also, while prone you can hold shift to crouch sprint and then dive down when you let go. Such a nice feature.

I wish they brought back a bit more of the death screaming. It made me play this game at launch just for that even though this game was buggy. You hear them sometimes, but the immersion was amazing at launch, you knew your teammate went down because you could hear him screaming for his mother, or cursing the germans to death and thus you knew the germans were nearby. It also made going for the headshot/fatal kill vs the bleed out that much more important because if you bleed out the first guy to death not only can he shoot you, but every teammate in the building is going to turn because of his screams. You killed him quickly and quietly or maybe when the nearby LMG started opening up and hoped you could sneak up on a few more. Or you went for a slow death and hid in the corner so a teammate would come into the room see him and then you pop the teammate from the corner. Now it doesn't really matter, death screams are so rare I stop and listen.

I think the death screams might of been dropped because of performance? Maybe, just add it back in as an audio option that's initially disabled. If it came down to it, I'd turn my graphics down to listen to them, because to me the audio is a lot more immerse then 2x AA vs 4x AA or High quality lighting vs medium quality lighting.

I wish they would add a system where if you were next to someone dying you could comfort them in their last moments. Just a few voice comments like commander might say, "be quiet and die like a man" or a rifleman would make a more friendly comment or a Russian offers his friend one last swig of Vodka. Mostly, it just adds a line and maybe they quiet their screams some.

Also, a few voice cues where if you shooting at nothing a teamate would make a comment. Like how they currently comment when you shoot friendlies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is alot to like and dislike about the game, in my opinion. Could they have done better? Yes. They are still patching the game. Which is a really really great thing. In fact, I am getting more addicted to playing then I could when the game first came out. I just hope the trend of improvements continue, and that the US player base doesn't dwindle to zero before it is completely finished.

Reactions: THD
Upvote 0
- pressing 6 to change a MG barrel if you abuse it too much
- the little comments your men say. Its great for atmosphere and makes hiding harder. Nobody should be commandoing it anyways. This is a team game.
- hearing men assaulting and talking/shouting while they do it. No other game does this. Most games all you hear is quiet before being shot. In this game the assaulters make noise like in real life.
- The cover system is great fun
- the way you can underhand a grenade. I so need to re-learn this fantasitc feature.
- the ability to single fire MG and the rates of fire on tripod MGs. FANTASTIC!
- the deployment and ALT to go to ground system. The animation take time unlike BF3
- the suppression and moral system
- The little hidey holes that are on every map. I just love that I simply have not been able to explore maps properly yet. They are so detailed. First game where wreckage has actually meant that infantry squads can organically use cover like they should be able to and not just a few downed iron girders, the whole chebang of rubbish to hide in.
- The reload and check ammo system... good to see your man pull the bolt back to check ammo.
- hearing the commander calling arty nearby... nice touch.
- being able to shoot recon planes down... they are flying low to see you... so why not. I dont like it that much but if its in why not have a response and we do.

So many little practical things like these in no other FPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE detail EVER, which without exaggeration single-handedly leaves me hopeful that RO2 will eventually become what the community hopes for:

Equip DP28. Look closely at pan magazine.
Fire a long burst.
IT ROTATES.
The little clip on top of it rotates! You can tell how much ammunition you have left at a glance! When the clip faces towards you again, the mag is dry.
:IS2:

My favorite little detail. Immersion like that... means someone on the RO2 dev team is rooting for the same ideals we are.

Upvote 0
I think he refers to splashes of blood left on the walls when a bullet manages to penetrate the body. It is very useful intel too and I like it - because of this feature I am often able to locate the enemy shooters. Same goes for a bullet ricocheted off a nearby wall, bodies on the ground and people dying when I watch them to move.

Upvote 0
Well I am pretty sure it works for me sometimes..... maybe its just when he has a full mag he pulls the bolt back and tells you its full.

Yep, holding reload checks your ammo - it's one of the things you're "taught" during the training missions in single player :)

Wait, what FPS dont have crouch sprint? Besides CoD because I know theyre still in 2002 features wise.

I guess I haven't played enough of the more modern FPS games, because I struggle to remember any others that DO feature crouched sprint :) Well, I say "haven't played enough" - I've probably played more than enough, because most of them seem to be rubbish anyway :) heh

Anyway, back on topic - I like lots of things about RO2, but one whole area that really stands out is the audio in general. I love the weapon sounds - they're deep, they have a lot of impact, and are really well done. Distant gunfire sounds fantastic - slightly filtered, almost muffled - but not suffering the (truly realistic) sound delays - so they actually work as cues to get your head down, rather than reaching you just after you take a hit :) Bullet cracks are also pretty impressive and immersive. Someone already mentioned the tank sounds, which really make me think twice before stepping out of my cover. The arty sounds are also pretty good, and have just the right amount of punch.

Oh yeah, and smoke grenades :) heh. Like I said I haven't played that many modern WW2/non-sci-fi FPS games, but the smoke in RO2 seems to be really well done. It's a tricky thing to do properly, but TWI seem to have pulled it off nicely.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/630733235508367027/4599B92A64A3685E6BCB4674ADA0DF29ECD28FBD/

How animation/model placement blends with terrain is something truly beautiful.

Most other games are lazy, and you see constant model clipping through ground and objects, whereas in RO2 when someone stands on stairs, they'll hold their other leg at a natural looking angle. Same for the slope in my screenshot.

It's just beautiful.

True, man. I wish movement speed was equally affected by terain/slopes/stairs though.

Upvote 0