• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

List of GOOD custom maps.

I haven't seen any really good maps for the retail KF yet, but let me comment the ones I have tested.

Floor 17:
Very well polished map, quite like official Offices map. However, WAY too easy spawns.

Sherwood Forest:
Large and easy outdoor map, plenty of room for kiting and good visibility. Good for training newbies in basics / bloated games / etc.

Prison:
Small, pretty well polished, has easy camping spot.

Arcade Action V2:
Outdoor arena type map. Quite large.

DeathPitFinal:
Simple indoor arena map. Quite small. Madness with large teams.

Arcade Shopping Center:
It's a mall. Hilarious map, includes skateboards and long corridors. Crossbow fans will like this.

Those were the ones worth mentioning.

Upvote 0
My favorites:

KF-WestLondonNight - Night & Rain > Day
KF-Arcade-Shopping-final - Nice, well looking, but overplayed.
KF-Prison - Nice map, well done!
KF-Biohazard - Nice map too! Very fun, well done too!
KF-Floor17Final - Nice map, monsters may seem to spawn slowly, but in few waves i bet your squad will die.
KF-Arcade-Action-v2 - Just like the name implies, lots of action! nice map!
KF-Marshes - Not too big and not too small, very nice map.
KF-Stranded - Awesome graphics but the monster spawn points and counts need some work, doesn't work well on our servers.

BTW: All of those maps can be played in our servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On top of the core maps I'm also running the following on my server.

KF-WestLondonNight_v5: absolutely brilliant map. Exactly the same as normal West London but with night effect and lots of rain. My friends and I actually prefer this one over the core map.

KF-Penumbra: Very small and tense map. Gets quite scary on hard or suicidal with fleshpounds :)

KF-BioHazard: Now that it just received a good update, it's a pretty nice map and definately worth a spot on any server that wants to run decent custom maps.

I tested about 10-15 other custom maps but none of them really felt right.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of the 'Mall' level for various reasons. Good concept, but poor design for low-player games. It seems made for 12+ player games.

Pandoras Box is good, though. Origins is pretty interesting too, but had a few bugs that needed work. The best way to really decide what maps you like are to try them all, unfortunately. If a map is truly bad, it'll show very, very early...

Upvote 0
I keep seeing that stupid Mall map all the time and I leave the server whenever it comes up. I would like to emphasize that (In my opinion) it is not only not a good map, but a HORRIBLE one!

The design itself makes kiting so easy that if you know what you're doing, it's impossible to get cornered. There are so many alternate exits, side hallways, and various routes that it's near impossible to get caught. Factor in the already huge size and the openness...you get a ridiculously easy map. You can even jump down from the upstairs if you get surrounded, to kite again on the ground floor.

Half to doors don't let you through, even when opened. Same with the windows. And almost all of the shops are the EXACT SAME inside, save for a few minor details. Also, the 'High Times' store filled with bongs just screams pothead adolescent mapmaker and kills any feeling of a professional map that this one had going for it...

I played Origins more and I like it, but it's just plain too cramped to be fully playable. There's almost no room to move around...about 2/3 of the map is made up of single-wide passageways...the only areas that have any real room to move around (The basement areas) are dead-ends with no ways out. So it's either get stuck in a series of narrow hallways or get stuck in a few dead-end rooms. Almost impossible to survive once Fleshpounds start turning up.

Played Heresy-Beta as well. It's a conversion...not a bad map, but too big, like many others, and until you know where the trader is, it's hard to find her. It really does feel more like an Unreal Tournament map than a Killing Floor map, though, even with the environmental changes...

Upvote 0