• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server [Linux]The best Linux OS for Killing Floor?

I have a Box with 1GB ram and AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (single core 2.0GHz circa 2005)

I haven't had any noticeable problems, it runs L4D2 server fine and Counter-Strike Source.

Since you're not drawing anything the game becomes a lot faster because its not choked down by textures and graphics card drivers and other stuff like that.

With that being said, I also don't run a GUI. And idle memory usage is about 100MB (without game server).

I also run nginx to host maps for fast redirect.

Upvote 0
Well i am renting VPS. A week ago i changed VPS from Xeon into i7 and I can say it that i never got Server side lags. I remember that Hosters were telling me that Xeon is much mroe stronger than i7 they might be right ,but KIlling Floor uses only 1 core, so there was no use having 3 cores for 2 servers wich are both hard customized so i am using only 2 cores and i am very satisfied even using with Wine emulator for ServerPerksHost (Thnx Marco and Poos!). Also i am now using Ubuntu 10.10 (I think) ,because i couldn't figured it out how to install wine on Debian 6.0 or 5.0 :).

Upvote 0
So are you running the Windows version of Killing Floor emulated through Wine on Linux to host a server? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but that would be the worst possible way to do it. You'd be better off going dedicated on Windows or dedicated on Linux. Again, sorry if I'm misunderstanding.
No. My server VPS is on Linux and Killing Floor servers are on Linux (Ubuntu) also i installed Wine in Linux(it's only consume like 0.1-1% CPU) and I am using ServerPerksHost databse wich is turned on under Wine. Sorry for my English isf you didn't understand (English is not my native language :) ).

Upvote 0
No. My server VPS is on Linux and Killing Floor servers are on Linux (Ubuntu) also i installed Wine in Linux(it's only consume like 0.1-1% CPU) and I am using ServerPerksHost databse wich is turned on under Wine. Sorry for my English isf you didn't understand (English is not my native language :) ).
No problem at all, sorry for misunderstanding. Your English is better than my everything else :)

Upvote 0