• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Linux Steam beta

Sulman

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Worth reiterating that if you own RO1, use Linux and can get the beta client working (there's packages for most distros now, I think) RO1 will be there in all its glory. You do not need to be in the Valve closed beta, every major distro community has figured out how to get on with your regular steam ID (Valve seem completely happy with this) but naturally all if this comes with the caveat that the client is in beta you're on your own, support wise.

Couple of servers I've been on people still didn't realise. Having long since retired RO1 from my Windows partition (RO2 is huge, needed the room) it's great to hop on linux and enjoy a bit of Ostfront.

Aye, and it runs pretty good already (which is no big surprise... as it already did run fine a long time ago => RO the mod on ut2k4 for Linux ;)).

Still has a few glitches (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=85291), but no real show stoppers, so far. Except the serverbrowser issues, which do affect all platforms, atm.

Also, chances that the 2 existing standalone mods (DH & MN) might see steamworks integration are pretty good.

And not to forget that Killing Floor is alive and kicking on Linux as well, now :)

-

Well, personally i cannot reiterate enough how really great it is that TWI have kept their promise!
This goes way back guys... back to 2005/06 when they always stated that they'd release it instantly, if there'd be a Steam client for Linux. And now here it is!

Even if it might be a bit late in the game's lifespan, it is surely a sign of good will and a proof of TWI's willingness to release their games on other platforms as well, whenever possible.

Now, stick up to yer promises even further and give us RO:OST for Mac as well! :p

Upvote 0
I wonder if this has anything whatsoever to do with the development of a Valve console? Like having a few games they could use for internal hardware testing and proof of concept work.

I'm do hope something happens along those lines, and we could get a really good and innovative console with a stripped down OS that could just run games. I know it's a bit of a long shot to expect ports of all these games to come out...but who knows.

Upvote 0
Exactly my thoughts when i first saw Steam's Big Picture mode :D.

And together with the recent rumours about Valve hiring hardware developers as well as probably trying to expand the Steam shop to genrell apps it makes sense.

If that brings more 3rd party software and drivers to the Linux desktop in general: great times for Linux users are about to come!

Upvote 0