• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Linux server support information

I'll refuse to use WINE as it's like having a system built for one, but forced to do another. I don't want to use windows system when I am using linux. This is the very reason I changed everything I had with my GSP to windows (except the website server) as then I have no limitations and i'm not forcing the system to do more just to do the same thing.

WINE is ok if you're doing it for specific reasons but when it comes to generally running a server for "heavy load" (which i'm guessing your server will be heavily used), it's not the best thing to do.

I admit, i'm starting to REALLY hate Linux after all the hassle i've had :D:p

Upvote 0
Feature Request

Feature Request

While the devs are working on the Linux dedicated server, I'd like to make the following feature request:

Please implement a -fork option similar to the srcds (left4dead2) linux dedicated server.

This allows a significant space and performance saving in memory usage when lots of servers are running on the same system. Suppose you are running 10 KF2 servers, each using 1GB RAM. Much of that 1GB will be duplicated between the 10 processes - by using POSIX fork() with copy-on-write semantics instead of naively launching 10 separate processes, duplicated memory pages all point to the same physical memory. This significantly reduces the memory required when running multiple server instances and boosts performance too (caching etc).

This was a really neat feature in the left4dead2 Linux server that enabled GSPs and Valve themselves to roll out tonnes of server capacity very economically and this would similarly benefit KF2. :)

Upvote 0

Actually it was due to the programs itself. Many of them was conflicting due to the program not compatible with the version of linux I had. We ended up going through many panels just to get my fluxiservice website server running at all. I wasn't the one doing the installation for linux, I had a mate who is damn good at it do it for me.

Upvote 0
Please implement a -fork option similar to the srcds (left4dead2) linux dedicated server.

This allows a significant space and performance saving in memory usage when lots of servers are running on the same system. Suppose you are running 10 KF2 servers, each using 1GB RAM. Much of that 1GB will be duplicated between the 10 processes - by using POSIX fork() with copy-on-write semantics instead of naively launching 10 separate processes, duplicated memory pages all point to the same physical memory. This significantly reduces the memory required when running multiple server instances and boosts performance too (caching etc).

This was a really neat feature in the left4dead2 Linux server that enabled GSPs and Valve themselves to roll out tonnes of server capacity very economically and this would similarly benefit KF2.

Yes please

Upvote 0
up!
soldat_alarme-2adb.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ifJapuqYiU

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to add my voice to those asking for Linux dedicated server binaries (and preferably something that will run on CentOS 6.5 so that I don't have to reimage my server just to install it). I've been running Linux servers for years, and 6+ years ago it was fairly common for games with dedicated server support to have Linux binaries. Now it seems like game publishers/developers just want to force us to pay for extra servers that run Windows as well, or pay extra to rent dedicated servers rather than hosting our own servers. It's annoying, to say the least.

Upvote 0
ToNiO;n2257468 said:
yet there is a steamOS version planned right?
Unless something changed yes, it is (or was ??) planned.
ToNiO;n2257468 said:
we all know SteamOS is on Linux (Debian), so we going never KF2 also on SteamOS?
Well SteamOS is GNU/Linux, it's just a Debian derivate distribution made by Valve.
Once they got a fully working binary, it won't matter which distribution you are using, given that you meet the required dependencies for the game to work. Which should be the case, because every Linux game launched through steam uses the (outdated) libraries and the runtime packed within the steam client.
ToNiO;n2257468 said:
in fact I still do not understand why this is so long for binaries linux...

and we have still not news by devs...

The programmer that was going to work on Linux servers is no longer with the company, and all the programmers that know Unreal and Linux have been loaded up with doing SteamOS ports, so it's difficult to find people to contract to do it as we've done in the past.

John Gibson

President

Tripwire Interactive
This was on April 7th, 2016.

Still no news since then, and trust me I reached out multiple times to them for updates.

Upvote 0